PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots decline option on Wilfork - Vince is a free agent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easily one of my all time favourite Pats, love you big guy! Will never forget you picking off that pass and charging down the field like a running back.

Amy chance that ngata gets cut?
It's possible. Its the same situation as it was with Wilfork last year. Can they do an extension? If not, should they cut him? He counts $16m vs the cap so there is no way he comes back under the current deal structure.

Smart move by NE. I'm happy with this decision.

Was a very good player for us in his prime, but time to move on.

Let the record show that, now that I have read Vince's letter, this is the first time I have ever teared up over a player leaving the Patriots.

A role model on and off the field. Nine seasons playing in all 16 games. Two seasons playing in 13 games. One season mostly lost to injury. A ring to start and a ring to end his career with the Pats.

Like many out here, I "knew" he was going to be cut loose at an $8+ million cap hit in BB's world where "it's better to cut a guy a year early than a year late," but it's still sad.

If ever there were a player who should be given the opportunity to sign a one day contract at some point in the future and retire as a Patriot, it's Vince Lamar Wilfork.

Good luck to you big guy. I hope you pick up some series cash somewhere else for a couple more years, just as long as it isn't in the Division.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him in Indy.

I will be surprised if Vince plays in 2015.

It's possible. Its the same situation as it was with Wilfork last year. Can they do an extension? If not, should they cut him? He counts $16m vs the cap so there is no way he comes back under the current deal structure.

Ngata will cost us, unless he decides he really wants to play for a championship team.

:( Unfortunately the writing was on the wall.

Love Ya Vince! We had Ted Washington at one point, but YOU are easily the model of what a NT should be.

The best to you, your beautiful Bianca and fam. If you don't play for the pats again, I'll be cheering you on at your HoF induction! Pure class!

My possible realistic destinations for him are (now that my Denver theory has been blown out of the water):

Texans (O'Brien and RAC connection)
Atlanta (Pioli and Dimtroff and need to improve defense and install leadership although I don't know if he fits Dan Quinn's system)
Philly (tons of money, needs to improve defense although don't know if it is a fit)
Dallas (need to replace several players leaving in free agency)

Ngata will cost us, unless he decides he really wants to play for a championship team.
Based on what will be required to sign Revis and DMC, I don't see any possible way he comes here. Hes 31 and will certainly command major cash in 2015.

I don't think there is much chance Vince comes back and plays for less money. Bruschi was just on and said he interpreted Vince's letter as a mutual parting of ways. I know there is a business side to Football but this sucks. Vince is a class act on and off the field and was a big part of our continued success. Thanks Vince for being a great Patriot and a role model our kids can look up to.

:(

Thanks, Big Vince for 11 great years. Shoulda been 4 rings for you.

I won't, it was pretty clear in his letter that he feels he can still play. There are plenty of teams that could use him as a rotational player and he is a respected leader.

My possible realistic destinations for him are (now that my Denver theory has been blown out of the water):

Texans (O'Brien and RAC connection)
Atlanta (Pioli and Dimtroff and need to improve defense and install leadership although I don't know if he fits Dan Quinn's system)
Philly (tons of money, needs to improve defense although don't know if it is a fit)
Dallas (need to replace several players leaving in free agency)

While I respect other people's opinions that his letter was a parting of the ways, I personally don't choose to view it that way.. though I certainly acknowledge it can read that way.

Maybe it's just head in the sand, Pollyanna-ism, but I believe that there still remains the possibility he signs back with the Patriots. Other players have had their options turned down and signed back with their team. This is hardly without precedence.

As yet, I haven't heard a single thing that says the Patriots chose not to accept his option for any other reason than the fact that they needed to relieve some very serious cap pressure while under some very pressing time constraints.

Now it's all up to Wilfork to determine what and where his priorities are (and there are no wrong answers here).

Until he signs with another team, there's nothing that says he won't pick up negotiations with the Patriots once he decides what to do. As he's stated, the only thing he know's for sure, is that he want's to play football in 2015.

Last edited:
Thank you Wilfork! He has been a total class act and a cornerstone to this defense for the past 11 years. A winner, a leader, and a guy who gave back to the community. I hope he comes back at a reduced rate, but if he doesn't I wish nothing but the best for Vince and his family.

I think he'll play. I think he'd be worth $3--5mm a year plus incentives to one of the many teams looking to plug holes in their D. He could probably get a two year contract with a lot of it guaranteed if a team (Dallas, Philly) thinks he is one of the "missing pieces" as they try to get to the SB next year. That's a lot of coin and I hope he picks it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back