PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Daily - Patriots Draft Needs, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Yesterday we began this three-part assessment of the Patriots’ draft needs by claiming the offensive tackle, linebacker and safety positions as New England’s highest draft priorities. Today, part two stays in the middle of the field before gradually moving to the perimeter.

Patriots Draft Needs, Part 2

Very nice assessment, both in Part 1 and Part 2. Echoes a lot of things that people have been pointing out on this board in the past month.

Looking at the LB situation, it is apparent that we can essentially be set at the ILB position if we move Adalius Thomas inside. That would give us a core trio of Mayo-Thomas-Guyton, with Bruschi for veteran leadership and Alexander/Ruud for depth. That's an extremely solid rotation. But it leaves us very thin at starting OLB, with no clear long-term starter among Woods, Crable, Banta-Cain or Redd. All 4 are capable rotational guys, but none appears to be clear starting calibre.

I think that the Pats clearly need to target at least 2 LBs in addition to their current crop: 2 OLBs if Thomas moves inside, and 1 OLB/1 ILB if Thomas stays outside. Thomas' flexibility will allow the Pats to let the players flow to them, instead of going after specific needs. A FA DE/OLB such as Peppers or Taylor is also still an option. I think that the lack of rumor around Taylor is a good thing. I see him as a fallback option if we don't get Peppers, or if we miss out on the right OLB prospects in the draft.

Safety is perhaps less of an issue than I had thought. With the Tank Williams signing, we know have Meriweather/Sanders/Williams/Springs/Ventrone at safety. That is a stronger rotation than we had last year, as Springs is probably an upgrade over Lewis Sanders and Williams was on IR. The only missing piece from last year is Rodney, and much as I adored him he has not been able to give us a full season in several years, and he was considerably slower last year. A long-term starting S opposite Meriweather would be ideal, but again, the Pats can let the draft flow to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes