PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Daily Interview With Malcolm Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
When New England took Malcolm Williams in the seventh round (219 overall), quite a few draft followers were surprised. That group included Williams himself.

The Texas Christian defensive back played two seasons for the Horned Frogs at safety and cornerback. A successful pro day put him on the NFL radar.

This past weekend, Williams spoke to PD about his unusual route to Foxboro, what he hopes to bring to the team, and his TCU teammate and fellow Patriots rookie Marcus Cannon.

Patriots Daily Q&A With Malcolm Williams

Nice interview. Seems like a good kid. He had a point along the way where he had to work at an airport and play some JUCO ball. But I think that a little adversity helps bump character. He didn't have a starting job handed to him or anything so I expect to see good work ethic out of this kid. Hopefully he can find a way to stick on a very tough Pats roster to make in 2011.

I think with Malcolm Williams, this is a projection pick, much like Matt Cassel. A guy who didn't play much but he did some things that stood out on tape for the Pats coaches for them to think why not, I think we can work with him and coach him up into a player. It's a gamble but in round 7, why not? It's worth the risk. If he doesn't work out you didn't lose out on much in a 7th round pick. At worse he projects to being a special teams ace. At best, you won the gamble and got yourself a good player on the cheap.

Last edited:
great Q & A. Bump worthy...

He most likely gets a shot at the PS .....don't think anyone would risk a roster spot claiming him off waivers at the end of camp...if he excels and earns a spot on the final 53...good for him (and the Pats for taking a chance)

Thought that was a very weird pick. Romeus, Herzlich still available... This guy just played special teams... So weird to draft a non-starter (who didnt have a star in front of him)... I thought this was by far the weirdest Pats pick and maybe the strangest of the draft... Was there any indication this guy really excelled on special teams at TCU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye