Reaction score
Ok, first off here's what we have now-
McCourty
Arrington
Dowling
Moore
Gregory CB/S
Williams ST or practice squad

My question is, can we rely on this as or corners?? First, McCourty must play like the #1 guy he needs to be. Second, is Arrington, Dowling, or even Moore good enough to play #2 corner, or they all guys that are seemingly #3 corner type players? Can Dowling stay healthy?? How good is Arrington?? Can Moore start where he left off last year??

I'm confusd at what we should do, keep the guys that are there and see what they can do? Draft a guy round 1 like Dre Kirkpatrick and push the other guys aside?? Get a guy in the mid-rounds like Ryan Steed just to compete for a spot?? Maybe pick up a vet in FA like Tracy Porter, Aaron Ross, or Marcus Trufant to bring in as an experienced guy we could possibly fall back on??

I'm just confused at what we should do to shore up the D-backfield because while we may have talent there, it just doesn't seem to be enough for 2012.

As for the safeties I think that can be solved by either drafting Barron or signing Landry, but with the Corners, I am left up in the air on what we should do.

i was thinking of this as well. you look at what Bill has targeted at shoring up thus far in FA

and its: Safety position, D-line, Wide receiver

no real strong push at Cornerback...and I would expect the first 2 picks the pats make to be a D-lineman(we need an impact guy at this position) and a safety

Ras i-dowling was a starter before he got injured...and sterling Moore Really came into his own in the playoffs...so maybe bill feels comfortable with what we've got??...having a strong D-line can really improve a secondary, and having safeties who can actually cover may do alot to help our CB's

McCourty really needs to get back to the form he was his rookie year though

Last edited:
i was thinking of this as well. you look at what Bill has targeted at shoring up thus far in FA

and its: Safety position, D-line, Wide receiver

no real strong push at Cornerback...and I would expect the first 2 picks the pats make to be a D-lineman(we need an impact guy at this position) and a safety

Ras i-dowling was a starter before he got injured...and sterling Moore Really came into his own in the playoffs...so maybe bill feels comfortable with what we've got??

He won't be so comfortable though if Dowling gets injured again, Moore's a fluke, or if Arrington continues to have coverage issues. So that's where I'm concerned.

Safety, DE, OLB, OL are all bigger needs than corner. We have 2 recent first round picks at corner assuming Dowling stays healthy. What we need are DE's who can handle blockers so guys at OLB can get pressure and safeties who can actually help over the top which was by far the worst area of the defense last year.

Don't forget Edelman ;)

Has Dowling been injured more then once?

They may add another corner but overall I think Patriot fans are going to have to hope and trust the players they have. They had a really bad season but I don't think that will lead Belichick to get rid of McCourty, Arrington, or I-Dowling, and given Moore's play late in the year he will have a great shot at being the #4. We have to trust the guys they have because that's most likely who they will be going with, hopefully they really improve individually and as a unit. i like the talent but they have to do it on the field.

Ranges from weakness to potential area of strength if the 2010 McCourty returns and Dowling stays healthy :eek:

If the Pats go back to zone, McCorty will be fine. In man2man, I think we'll see an improvement but he would function as a #2 CB.

This could be one of the stronger units in the league IMO. Arrington has proven to be a solid #2, and very good in the slot.

Mccourty/Dowling could be a great 1/2 or a mess if Mccourty still stinks it up and Dowling turns to glass.

Then you also have the potential of Moore and his great playmaking ability.

I really liked what I saw from Ras-I early and Sterling Moore late...Moore stuck to guys like glue in the slot, which was refreshing...Ras-I was physically imposing in the 2 games he played, so there's hope there...the thing i think they need most is cohesion in the back end, ie the safeties...i was reading that mccourty's technique really wasn't THAT bad this season (yes i know he got toasted), but he rarely had a safety in position over the top like he was supposed to...I'm willing to bet it's the safeties that the biggest leap this year...McCourty doesn't have Pro Bowl rookie season for no reason...he clearly knows his assignments, but with the revolving door at safety last season there could very well have been huge break downs in the plays called in the back end. I think we'll be fine, as long as Chung stays healthy and Gregory can simply be AVERAGE at the FS spot!

Arrington is over rated. Dowling should be ahead of him on the depth chart, but can he stay healthy? McCourty is #1 but was he a 1 season wonder? Moore adds depth but surely we need a new starting corner early in the draft much more of a pressing need than WR and Oline right now

Well, now that I think about it, I definately see what Bill was thinking signing Gregory, considering he can play both S and CB, so if Dowling becomes "glass" again we could fit him into the mix.

:)
It makes no sense to have our only free safety play anything but safety. It is more likely that any need for an additional corner would come from a corner to be added (could be Molden).
Well, now that I think about it, I definately see what Bill was thinking signing Gregory, considering he can play both S and CB, so if Dowling becomes "glass" again we could fit him into the mix.

Ok, first off here's what we have now-
McCourty
Arrington
Dowling
Moore
Gregory CB/S
Williams ST or practice squad

My question is, can we rely on this as or corners?? First, McCourty must play like the #1 guy he needs to be. Second, is Arrington, Dowling, or even Moore good enough to play #2 corner, or they all guys that are seemingly #3 corner type players? Can Dowling stay healthy?? How good is Arrington?? Can Moore start where he left off last year??

I'm confusd at what we should do, keep the guys that are there and see what they can do? Draft a guy round 1 like Dre Kirkpatrick and push the other guys aside?? Get a guy in the mid-rounds like Ryan Steed just to compete for a spot?? Maybe pick up a vet in FA like Tracy Porter, Aaron Ross, or Marcus Trufant to bring in as an experienced guy we could possibly fall back on??

I'm just confused at what we should do to shore up the D-backfield because while we may have talent there, it just doesn't seem to be enough for 2012.

As for the safeties I think that can be solved by either drafting Barron or signing Landry, but with the Corners, I am left up in the air on what we should do.

I understand your concerns, but they looked a lot better down the stretch and into the postseason, so I would assume that we will be just fine.

The addition of Dowling, the experience of another year of Moore, (I don't think he is going to be a one-yr guy, he seems to have some natural skills for the ball etc) and a hopeful return of sorts from McCourty will be pleasant additions for the 2012 season.

Hopefully we see at least 2 out of the 3 happen, and we'll be just fine.

Arrington is over rated. Dowling should be ahead of him on the depth chart, but can he stay healthy? McCourty is #1 but was he a 1 season wonder? Moore adds depth but surely we need a new starting corner early in the draft much more of a pressing need than WR and Oline right now

Arrington may be somewhat overrated, sure. But keep in mind that he, along with some good bracket coverage, kept the Giants biggest weapon to 4 catches and 25 yards (Cruz).

Dowling took over in the first game or two last yr, so there's no reason to believe that he won't do the same this yr.

Arrington is best utilized as a slot CB, and that's where he will likely be. It's good that he CAN play outside too though, as versatility is always second to none.

...the thing i think they need most is cohesion in the back end, ie the safeties...i was reading that mccourty's technique really wasn't THAT bad this season (yes i know he got toasted), but he rarely had a safety in position over the top like he was supposed to...I'm willing to bet it's the safeties that the biggest leap this year...McCourty doesn't have Pro Bowl rookie season for no reason...he clearly knows his assignments, but with the revolving door at safety last season there could very well have been huge break downs in the plays called in the back end. I think we'll be fine, as long as Chung stays healthy and Gregory can simply be AVERAGE at the FS spot!

Well stated. McCourty is a very cerebral player who will rarely be caught out of position. The same can't be said for the rest of the DB unit who were left standing with hands on hips glaring at each other throughout most of the season. Look for BB to address this unit's weakness by adding another player who will be in position to provide proper coverage.

We shouold carry 5 corners and 4-5 S on the opening day roster we need another CB.

We shouold carry 5 corners and 4-5 S on the opening day roster we need another CB.

I certainly think they pick up another CB somewhere along the way too.

We'll see if it's through the draft, or it's via a lower level move like another teams' cut or FA signing. There's an outside chance it could be both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes