PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots considering keeping Revis at his $25 million cap number

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope the Pats find a way to keep Revis. There is nothing bad one can say about the guy. He's the best CB we've since Ty Law. He's a complete team player, is amazing to watch, conforms to the Patriots approach, is a great leader and follower, and seems to be an awfully nice person.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...darrelle-revis-play-for-20-million-next-year/

PHOENIX — One of the biggest topics following the Super Bowl will be Darrelle Revis and his situation with the Patriots for next year.

Revis signed a one-year deal with a team option for 2015 at $20 million. There was some thought he would work out a long-term deal with the team, but now there’s some thought he could play out the $20 million team option.

“One of the things is the Patriots may say, ‘We need to have that franchise type cornerback,’ similar to what they had withTy Law because they’ve seen the success they have had with their defense under Darrelle Revis.”

I think this is floated to add more meat to the tampering charges.

Agree with most of your post, but not this.

Arrington is worth every penny. He shut down TY Hilton twice this year. He has match-up issues with some guys like Boldin, but he's lights-out again some great receivers. Worth the money.
Agreed. Arrington is also CONSISTENTLY the one making the unexpected plays - recovering blocked FGs and returning them for TDs, etc. His value is more than just "the third CB"; when he is matched up against the appropriate type of player, he is quite good. And seeing as nickel is now base, being good down to your third man is very important. No way I want to lose Kyle. I feel his pay is fine.

Mayo restructures, Amendola restructures/gets cut. Revis is kept at 14-16m per, give McCourty a backloaded contract...sorted.

I wonder why Revis isn't willing to take a reasonable deal. Where is he going to go after this? He must have 50 million in the bank, he wants to grub out another few million as opposed to winning?

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
I'd rather the Pats paid him $15M per for 4 years than one year at $20M, but either is probably preferable to letting him walk.

I'd rather the Pats paid him $15M per for 4 years than one year at $20M, but either is probably preferable to letting him walk.

I think what this report kind of suggests is that if the patriots are willing to give him 20million$ a year they will be willing to give him a market offer.

As @50-yard-line said, could just be a leak of sorts to get word out that Revis is probably not going anywhere. IMO it says, "Whether we reach a long-term extension now or we have to exercise the $20m second year first, we're not letting Revis go. We want him here." Letting that information become public is a message of goodwill to Revis too. They are telling the league, don't even think about Revis, he's our man. Revis wants to be wanted and the Pats know that. It's a counter of sorts to Woody's inane tampering.

If the Pats are willing to invoke the option, they will ultimately be saying we are willing to pay Revis $16MM/yr for 2 years and no more, and quite frankly for the 2 best years he's going to have it would be worth it, especially when you know that even if you play him top money he will give you top work. More likely it would be invoked to create more time to do a deal in the 12-14MM range that will last longer than 2015.

Mayo and Amendola are both going to take cuts or be gone. My bet is that both would rather stay. Vince is going to be a tougher problem, I fear. I'm afraid his game is slipping as the snaps pile up, and he's just not worth the elite pay for merely decent play contract. The problem is perception. Vince's perception will be that he's already done his share of cutting and no more. I can see why he feels that, but I can't see him playing at that number next year. These are where lines get drawn and relationships end. In my ideal world, we win the superbowl, Vince retires, and he and the family live a long life selling robots

I strongly believe the Pats will franchise McCourty if they don't reach a deal.

If Vince leaves I hope he retires (maybe more likely if we win) and becomes a coach for us. Would hate to see him on another team.

Why would he coach?? Very long hours on this staff... the Bruschi/Harrison way is a lot easier.

Coaching is a hard road, ask Pepper Johnson.. he just made a lateral move to D Line Coach for the Jets...

Why would he coach?? Very long hours on this staff... the Bruschi/Harrison way is a lot easier.

Coaching is a hard road, ask Pepper Johnson.. he just made a lateral move to D Line Coach for the Jets...
i just remember him last year when he was hurt coaching the guys up on the sidekine and helping them out.

it wouldn't be several other, it would be 2 at the most, vince and jerrod. and thats assuming those two don't rework their deals/retire.

Vince could very realistically retire if we win it all this year. Mayo, while a great player. hasn't played a full season in 3 years, he is very much so overpaid based on his ability to stay on the field, and considering the fact that in the last two years that hes missed over half the games, we have made it to the AFCCG and now the superbowl, without him. Collins and hightower have filled the void that we once thought couldn't be filled.

Amendola is overpaid and will probably sign someplace else next year after being cut(or maybe he reworks his deal to be more inline with production.

Arrington is a good slot corner, but thats about where his talent starts to drop off.

There are 4 players that we could lose, and the team wouldn't be wholey different then it is right now, aside from Vince who could be gone anyways..

You make some good arguments.

I just don't see the team being willing to absorb a gigantic $25m hit to the cap.

I wonder why Revis isn't willing to take a reasonable deal. Where is he going to go after this? He must have 50 million in the bank, he wants to grub out another few million as opposed to winning?

We don't know if he isn't willing..they haven't talked about a new deal year...after the season is over they will like the report said

We don't know if he isn't willing..they haven't talked about a new deal year...after the season is over they will like the report said

Actually, the Patriots wanted to start talking long term contract with Revis during training camp. Revis declined bc he wants to concentrate on the season! As soon as the superbowl is over, they will start talking long term contract. Revis seems happy here. He seems to enjoy being in a winning atmosphere. I also think he likes working with guys who work just as hard as he does. Both Brady and BB are just like Revis. They are all perfectionists. He fits the Patriots mold and have accepted the Patriots way! I think they will come to terms with a long term contract very soon. We will be hearing a lot about our players this offseason. We have a lot of players that have their contracts end in the new league year.

I'm really willing to bet that this is more leverage than anything else, but there are worse things than keeping revis for 1 more year at $20 million

The article never mentions that Revis' cap hit will be $25 million. Of course, Revis' camp would say that he is amenable to playing at that number. They are probably the ones who asked for the $25 million cap number in the first place.

If the Pats are willing to invoke the option, they will ultimately be saying we are willing to pay Revis $16MM/yr for 2 years and no more, and quite frankly for the 2 best years he's going to have it would be worth it, especially when you know that even if you play him top money he will give you top work. More likely it would be invoked to create more time to do a deal in the 12-14MM range that will last longer than 2015.

Mayo and Amendola are both going to take cuts or be gone. My bet is that both would rather stay. Vince is going to be a tougher problem, I fear. I'm afraid his game is slipping as the snaps pile up, and he's just not worth the elite pay for merely decent play contract. The problem is perception. Vince's perception will be that he's already done his share of cutting and no more. I can see why he feels that, but I can't see him playing at that number next year. These are where lines get drawn and relationships end. In my ideal world, we win the superbowl, Vince retires, and he and the family live a long life selling robots

I strongly believe the Pats will franchise McCourty if they don't reach a deal.

mayo's already gone, man. you don't keep a dude like hightower on the bench. it's a strong four starting LBs without mayo, he's been a G for us but if its him or Revis its not even a question unless he's willing to take a serious cut.

I'm predicting 3 years/42m with 24m guaranteed.

Maybe the Pats use the $20M option as a sign of good faith to Revis in negotiations.

They pick it up and show him they want him here at any cost and he takes an extension at the right price later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes