PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots considering keeping Revis at his $25 million cap number

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patters

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I hope the Pats find a way to keep Revis. There is nothing bad one can say about the guy. He's the best CB we've since Ty Law. He's a complete team player, is amazing to watch, conforms to the Patriots approach, is a great leader and follower, and seems to be an awfully nice person.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...darrelle-revis-play-for-20-million-next-year/

PHOENIX — One of the biggest topics following the Super Bowl will be Darrelle Revis and his situation with the Patriots for next year.

Revis signed a one-year deal with a team option for 2015 at $20 million. There was some thought he would work out a long-term deal with the team, but now there’s some thought he could play out the $20 million team option.

“One of the things is the Patriots may say, ‘We need to have that franchise type cornerback,’ similar to what they had withTy Law because they’ve seen the success they have had with their defense under Darrelle Revis.”

When I asked Miguel in another thread what happens IF Revis stays for 20M, he suggested I could expect Vince NOT to be in NE in that scenario.

Will be an interesting storyline to follow after the big game. Hopefully a big win on both fronts.

Vince, Mayo, Arrington, Amendola, Dennard would all be susceptible in that scenario.

Not at the expense of several other players. I just don't see this happening.

Maybe there's a scenario where they pick up the team option and keep negotiations going, and establish a long term extension sometime later in the year. More time is useful.

Looks like wishful thinking. I don't see any way the Pats keep him at that cap number. It's much more realistic that they let him test FA and try to hammer out a newer long-term deal with him. I would hate to see him leave.

I would thing that is a last ditch scenario if they cant agree to an extension....but look at it this way. If the pats are willing to pay revis 20million...good chance they are willing to give him an offer at market value of 15-16million a year

I posted this the other day - my belief is that the fact that they're putting this out, that they'd be willing, possibly, to pick up the option, means that they think they'll get an agreement.

It was a tidbit for battered fans, I think, and was likely leaked with Revis's okay.

I expect a deal to be announced.

and surely something like 15 per year is going to do the job. we can say goodbye to a mccourty return aswell. Can't see it happening folks.

If the Patriots are willing to do this, why not just give him a market value contract?

If the Patriots are willing to do this, why not just give him a market value contract?

Exactly - see my post above. I think it's getting done.

Not at the expense of several other players. I just don't see this happening.
it wouldn't be several other, it would be 2 at the most, vince and jerrod. and thats assuming those two don't rework their deals/retire.

Vince could very realistically retire if we win it all this year. Mayo, while a great player. hasn't played a full season in 3 years, he is very much so overpaid based on his ability to stay on the field, and considering the fact that in the last two years that hes missed over half the games, we have made it to the AFCCG and now the superbowl, without him. Collins and hightower have filled the void that we once thought couldn't be filled.

Amendola is overpaid and will probably sign someplace else next year after being cut(or maybe he reworks his deal to be more inline with production.

Arrington is a good slot corner, but thats about where his talent starts to drop off.

There are 4 players that we could lose, and the team wouldn't be wholey different then it is right now, aside from Vince who could be gone anyways..

If Vince leaves I hope he retires (maybe more likely if we win) and becomes a coach for us. Would hate to see him on another team.

it wouldn't be several other, it would be 2 at the most, vince and jerrod. and thats assuming those two don't rework their deals/retire.

Vince could very realistically retire if we win it all this year. Mayo, while a great player. hasn't played a full season in 3 years, he is very much so overpaid based on his ability to stay on the field, and considering the fact that in the last two years that hes missed over half the games, we have made it to the AFCCG and now the superbowl, without him. Collins and hightower have filled the void that we once thought couldn't be filled.

Amendola is overpaid and will probably sign someplace else next year after being cut(or maybe he reworks his deal to be more inline with production.

Arrington is a good slot corner, but thats about where his talent starts to drop off.

There are 4 players that we could lose, and the team wouldn't be wholey different then it is right now, aside from Vince who could be gone anyways..

I agree about about Mayo. No way we keep him at his current cap hit coming off 2 lost seasons. He'll have to restructure or he's definitely gone.

Not sure that really means much. Patriots never rule out anything.

If I were the Patriots, I would at least threaten to exercise that $20 million option while negotiating the long-term "market-value" extension (i.e. make it clear that, while under contract, there is no actual market in which to shop one's services). It's not the world's greatest leverage, but it's better than having none at all.

Agree with most of your post, but not this.

Arrington is worth every penny. He shut down TY Hilton twice this year. He has match-up issues with some guys like Boldin, but he's lights-out again some great receivers. Worth the money.

This journalist is saying that the Pats are considering such move on behalf of who? If he thinks that that what's going to happen ok, it's only his opinion though.

BB would never sacrifice the team for one player and if we win the SB I can see a "my work here is done" mentality from him, not going all in because there will not be all that talking about Brady window, etc...he will do things Belichick way, as usual.

I saw BJ Raji as a viable replacement through FA

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey