PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots concerned about Aqib Talib's work ethic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, was this the site that listed Brady at the bottom of the list as to importance of his team or something along those lines?

I think the straw that broke the camel's back for me was when they declared Stylez G. White the top defensive lineman in the NFL.

I seen with my very own eyes what Anquain Boldin did when Aqib Talib was on the field and what he did when Talib went off injured. To me that said more than any amount of stats could ever do.

Understood, and I agree to some level. I would rather keep him on a reasonable deal of course than try to replace him, but that probably isn't going to happen.

One thing to keep in mind is that Talib went out extremely early in his coverage against Boldin. I believe he only played 5 snaps or 7 snaps or something, yet the defense still managed to hold them to one TD on the ground all the way through the first, second, and the majority of the third quarters.

The main problem with Talib's injury is that it then forced Arrington to move outside and Cole to cover Boldin in the majority of the plays. It wasn't necessarily Talib who was shutting everything down, it was the lack of Patriot defenders with any adequate skillset in the secondary to step in and try to replace him.

Like I said I do agree with you that he offers something that we haven't seen in awhile, but there are certainly drawbacks to him too. For one thing he could have the talent level of Darelle Revis back there, but if he can't see the field then what good is he? I think you may be letting one good play (the one he somehow managed to get hurt on) where he defended Boldin's pass in the AFCCG cloud your judgment a bit.

I think the straw that broke the camel's back for me was when they declared Stylez G. White the top defensive lineman in the NFL.

If it was an actual declaration of that statement, then that is some of the ridiculousness that I am speaking of. If it was simply one of their homemade grading stats that showed him excelling at one particular aspect, that is something much different, although still silly.

Either way I do agree that any kind of site that makes up their own grading systems etc is going to not only be controversial a lot, but they are going to outright fail miserably a lot too, and I think that your point is correct that we've seen that from PFF.

My only counter-point was that it is my opinion that there is still some useful information in there at times, so I personally don't automatically discredit every single stat or story here like some do, just because it's PFF.

If it was an actual declaration of that statement, then that is some of the ridiculousness that I am speaking of. If it was simply one of their homemade grading stats that showed him excelling at one particular aspect, that is something much different, although still silly.

Either way I do agree that any kind of site that makes up their own grading systems etc is going to not only be controversial a lot, but they are going to outright fail miserably a lot too, and I think that your point is correct that we've seen that from PFF.

My only counter-point was that it is my opinion that there is still some useful information in there at times, so I personally don't automatically discredit every single stat or story here like some do, just because it's PFF.

Pro Football Focus Explains Why Tom Brady Ranked as 33rd-Best Player in NFL in 2010 Season | New England Patriots | NESN.com

That, in one link, demonstrates why PFF is worse than useless.

Yes, that's the one that I spoke of a page or two earlier. I couldn't remember 100% but I assumed it was PFF. Again, I would agree that a majority of their stuff based on their own strange form of grading system is going to be way off, and it's a shame that they wouldn't have enough common sense to recognize that before even putting it out there.

My only point was that they can still offer stats of use at times and that's why I don't necessarily automatically look past it. The downside is that you have to sort through some crap to find it, which most aren't going to do due to their reputation and failed attempts.

While we are discussing it, do you know of any (free) and reputable sites that may provide some decent hardcore analysis? Maybe I am looking at it incorrectly and just need to discredit PFF like many here altogether, instead of shuffling through BS to find any credible and useful information.

Yes, that's the one that I spoke of a page or two earlier. I couldn't remember 100% but I assumed it was PFF. Again, I would agree that a majority of their stuff based on their own strange form of grading system is going to be way off, and it's a shame that they wouldn't have enough common sense to recognize that before even putting it out there.

My only point was that they can still offer stats of use at times and that's why I don't necessarily automatically look past it. The downside is that you have to sort through some crap to find it, which most aren't going to do due to their reputation and failed attempts.

While we are discussing it, do you know of any (free) and reputable sites that may provide some decent hardcore analysis? Maybe I am looking at it incorrectly and just need to discredit PFF like many here altogether, instead of shuffling through BS to find any credible and useful information.

Footballoutsiders is my first look.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis

There are other sites out there, but that's where I start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back