Welcome to PatsFans.com

Patriots concerned about Aqib Talib's work ethic

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Brady2Moss, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brady2Moss

Brady2Moss Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

According to Mike Giardi of CSNNE

Do you think this means we franchise him? He went on to say they think Talib can make 8-10 million on the open market, so they better franchise him if they want to keep him for that one year.
  2. Bobs My Uncle

Bobs My Uncle PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I highly doubt he'll be a Patriot long term if they question his work ethic.
  3. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0

#61 Jersey

Not good news. This might be his infamous attitude flaring up.
  4. fumbrunner

fumbrunner Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Franchise tag is around $10 mill for a CB this year I believe. As much as he helped the secondary, I don't think the Pats are willing to offer that for a CB with a potential work ethic issue.

Apparently Nnamdi Asomugha may get released in Philly. I would rather the Pats take on that reclamation project.
  5. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +92 / 1 / -2

#24 Jersey

Given the relative struggles the front office has had with drafting quality CB's, I definitely wouldn't mind if they franchised him.
  6. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +92 / 1 / -2

#24 Jersey

Have you watched him lately? He's definitely lost it.
  7. JackBauer

JackBauer Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

This. Asomugha would be a swell acquisition if we're attempting to construct the WOAT secondary.
  8. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -2

But Philly was a sinking ship.

Didnt they fire the DC around mid season? They cut Jason Babin who didnt look done by any means when Jax played NE.
  9. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -2

This news makes me wonder if Talib did everything in his power to rehab his leg in time for the AFCC.
  10. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0

#61 Jersey

That was my first thought. If he's not working hard enough to be on top of things physically, he's just not worth it.
  11. Palm Beach Pats Fan

Palm Beach Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

He definitely was not a guy who excelled in Philly's zone coverage schemes at all, after being stellar in man coverage before.

Has he "lost it" or does his skills, IQ, and attitude simply not fit read & react zone responsibilities?

If it's the latter, I'm not sure it's a whole lot different than Talib, who was best for us when playing press man coverage exclusively (though in Tampa he certainly was a good zone corner)
  12. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -2

13. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

I never got the love for Talib on this board. I thought he was just ok. He got free passes on giving up a lot of big plays which were very similar to ones that McCourty was getting killed by people for. He basically sucked unless he could manhandle the receiver. He was lost in spaces.

His greatest contribution was allowing McCourty to slide to safety and Arrington to slide to the star. He was good enough to be adequet at the LCB position which allowed the Pats to shore up other positions in the secondary.

I think the Pats can replace him in free agency with other options.
  14. Nunchucks

Nunchucks Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -1

The guy struggled with injuries throughout the year. If he is not 100% committed to getting his body right, then I don't think he is worth resigning.
  15. JackBauer

JackBauer Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

If he didn't do as much as he could to rehab the injury pre-AFCCG, why would the Patriots want him back at all? Why would they be amenable to a one-year deal if the guy is clearly a slouch and doesn't put the team's interests first?

Since the contract is cited specifically, this reads to me like the team is concerned Talib is the type of guy to lay off the gas a bit once he signs a multi-year deal, which is a perfectly rational concern.
  16. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -2

Tagging Talib at 10.7 mil for 2013 seems like a bad deal when Revis will get a 15 mil a year. I know the Pats could never afford or blow up their salary cap to fit Revis in, but paying Talib that much makes Revis worth way more IMO.
  17. fumbrunner

fumbrunner Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I think it was more of a scheme issue than a talent issue. He was the premier press man cover guy in the league in Oak. If we re looking for a guy to do that, with alot of upside and that will come at a discount, he may be an option.

I'm not saying that we need to go after him if he's released, but I would rather the Pats do something similar than to blow $10 mill on a guy that doesn't seem to be all that committed. Are we forgetting the AD fiasco?
  18. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -2

You answer your own question. Because the risk equals the reward.

Im thinking theres no way Talib gets tagged now.
  19. resdubwhite

resdubwhite Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

And paper never refused ink.

Love to know who these inside sources are.
  20. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +81 / 3 / -1

Disable Jersey

This is a guy that was probably going to get released by Tampa, not a guy that was on his way to Canton. If the price gets to high, let him walk.
  21. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -2

It was reported that the Philly players mailed it in for 2013 once things started going south. Everybody knew that Reid was getting fired and the ownership Philly began firing front office people well before the season was over.

It couldnt have been a good environment to play in.
  22. skspikex2

skspikex2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#22 Jersey

There're some good FA CB, hope the Pats explore around.
  23. Ivan

Ivan Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 4 / -4

Talib really hasn't shown enough to warrant a 4 year 8+ million a year deal, and it is going to take that to re-sign him imo. They definitely looked better when he was at CB and McCourty was at safety but given his status and inability to stay on the field for even a short part of the season the risk is too high, especially if they have concerns about his work ethic.

Even if the Eagles release scrabble their are teams that will give him a good contract and take the chance on him, and i don't see the Patriots doing it unless the price is in their ballpark.
  24. Sicilian

Sicilian Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

If there are questions about his work ethic, I'd rather move on. He had trouble staying healthy and may be a ticking time bomb of attitude down the road. We need a corner to replace him, but I'd rather take a chance on someone else, especially if we can upgrade the safety position.
  25. BB4PRez

BB4PRez Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They were a much better defense with Talib on the field. Not surprised about the work ethic leak.

The only way I would be willing to go for a multi-year deal is if the front end bonus/guarantee money were not to high. Lets Talib save face by getting a big money deal in line with the market, but lets the Pats get out if he does not play up to par. If he plays well he can earn the market money I doubt Talib would agree to it...

I thought the interview with Mike Flynn on Comcast made sence. Knuckheads rarely improve becuase they have singed a big money deal, while guys that bust for short money will keep working. Unfortunately I see Talib falling more into the first catagory.
  26. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0

Disable Jersey

Let's see...
    Concerns about next step in League discipline costing a year's suspension
    Concerns about work ethic
    Very good but decidedly not stellar performance at CB
    Possible injury rehab concerns

I was very excited about the guy coming here despite the 1st concern, but now with more information the level of risk with Talib is very high. Now I'd prefer to roll the FA dice on another FA CB for the level of $ we'd invest in Talib. Major point being we really really need to sign a credible FA CB so McCourty can stay at FS.
  27. Marqui

Marqui Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Not sure if I buy this. This was Belichick on Talib right after the Texans playoff game:
    Aqib Talib has helped shore up Patriots secondary - Sports - The Boston Globe

So Talib one week is a "great teammate and hard worker" and the next week "he's lazy and can't be trusted"? Okay...
  28. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Agreed. He was a pretty good press corner. Nothing more, nothing less. I was hoping that he'd improve on his zone coverage as he got used to the system, but if the Pats have doubts about his work ethic, then that's unlikely. If this report is accurate, I doubt he's a Patriot in September.
  29. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +81 / 3 / -1

Disable Jersey

Yes, but that was much more about having a legit CB1 than it was specifically about Talib.

Nor am I. "Leaks" are another one of the frequenty used tools in the toolbox for this team when it comes time to negotiate deals.
  30. JackBauer

JackBauer Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

So if not Talib, who? Keenan Lewis or Brent Grimes?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.