PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots comments during Charger/Sea game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to see that the Chargers are focusing on a single entity, while NE is looking at a big picture.. to prepare for one opponent, and focusing on them too much is not a good way of preparing for the NFL season.

You're confusing the media (which asked a lot of questions about the game) with the Chargers (who were expected to answer the questions and haven't yet learned the appropriate responses from the Belichick Media Handling Made Easy such as, "That's in the past. We're preparing for our next opponent on "insert date"..."

IMO SD is the more talented team.

Why do people say this?

On defense, NE has a better secondary, better D-Line, and I think the LB corps is a wash now with the addition of Thomas and a healthy Seau.

On offense, we have a superior QB and a better receiving corps outside of TE. O-Line goes to SD, as does RB, obviously.

Is SD deeper than us? Hell, no.

Why do people say this?

On defense, NE has a better secondary, better D-Line, and I think the LB corps is a wash now with the addition of Thomas and a healthy Seau.

On offense, we have a superior QB and a better receiving corps outside of TE. O-Line goes to SD, as does RB, obviously.

Is SD deeper than us? Hell, no.

Hello? Don't you know that the only way to evaluate talent is to count pro bowlers? And that NE QB didn't even make the pro bowl last year! ;)

What?!? This is the first SD game, the first nationally televised SD game, since they lost to the Pats. Why wouldn't they talk about it? Why shouldn't they talk about it? Just because you don't want them to do so? I didn't see it, but if I had I would have thought less of NBC if they hadn't brought it up. You think the SD fans are over it? Would Pats fans be over it? No.

I have to agree with this post - How many of Patriots fans including the guys in here have gotten over blowing a huge lead in the AFCCG?

I bet if you tied Patriots fans hard strapped to a chair and made them watch the ENTIRE 4th quarter of the AFCCG in slow motion in they would find a way to cut loose from those straps then be forced to watch it.

Its easy to tell SD to get over it...Before we say that we must get over the Indy loss ourselves. -Not so easy for fans and players of both losing teams in last years playoffs.

I have to agree with this post - How many of Patriots fans including the guys in here have gotten over blowing a huge lead in the AFCCG?

I bet if you tied Patriots fans hard strapped to a chair and made them watch the ENTIRE 4th quarter of the AFCCG in slow motion in they would find a way to cut loose from those straps then be forced to watch it.

Its easy to tell SD to get over it...Before we say that we must get over the Indy loss ourselves. -Not so easy for fans and players of both losing teams in last years playoffs.

I always thought the Colts game was a bonus. The Pats had no business beating SD. Courage and pluckiness and "knowing how to win" are only good for one SB every 20 years or so. We got ours that way in 01. The rest you have to be deeper (or healthier, same diff) to go all the way.

The way we lost was not odd or crushing. It was a tired team, going down valiantly without enough depth to hang on for another quarter on D, or to make one or two key plays on O to seal the game. If we had won, it would have been the second game in a row we had no business winning.

Not that I've watched the game since it happened, but still it seems fitting. The 2004 SB is that much more impressive when you consider we beat the 2005 SB and 2006 SB champs back to back.

I simply refuse to fall into the trap that pundits put out there about "having what it takes" or "not having it what it takes." It's like fame, undeserved when you get it, and fleeting once the next starlet comes along. The Steelers were supposedly too conservative under Cowher, the Colts too nice under Dungy or stuck with Manning in big games, while the Pats supposedly had some mysterious ingredient. All was and is crap. All three of these teams are simply great powers with different strengths and weaknesses knocking each other around from year to year. It makes sense that ups and downs will occur in terms of who comes out on top. It also makes sense that the franchise we all think is better would be up 3-1 over both of them in these recent years, and not be up 5-0. Even Tiger Woods loses two or three majors every year.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine and a huge Pats fan lives out in San Diego. The SD fans feel that they were the better team and basicaly handed the game to the Patriots. He knows several Charger fans who are making the trip to Foxboro for the Pats/Charger game.

I guess they don't give Patriot playoff experience credit for that Patriot victory. Maybe they didn't see the perfect 49 yard pass from Brady to Caldwell down the sideline (on 4th and long) that set up the winning (and clutch) FG kick.

I'm pretty sure the Caldwell catch was on 3rd and long.

I agree with SD fans and players that they should have won that game. Other than NE's tackles, SD won the battle at the LOS most of the game, and their secondary was near impenetrable for all but the end of both halves.

Take away Parkers drops or his idiotic attempt to pick up his muffed punt and NE is never even in that game.

That does not mean that Colvin's great int (another dumb play as Rivers should have just thrown it away) and Troy's strip and Caldwell's catch and Gafney's TD and etc. weren't all great plays. But I don't think it is a stretch to say that if NE and SD played that way against each other 10 times, that SD would win at least 7.

I always thought the Colts game was a bonus. The Pats had no business beating SD. Courage and pluckiness and "knowing how to win" are only good for one SB every 20 years or so. We got ours that way in 01. The rest you have to be deeper (or healthier, same diff) to go all the way.

The way we lost was not odd or crushing. It was a tired team, going down valiantly without enough depth to hang on for another quarter on D, or to make one or two key plays on O to seal the game. If we had won, it would have been the second game in a row we had no business winning.

Not that I've watched the game since it happened, but still it seems fitting. The 2004 SB is that much more impressive when you consider we beat the 2005 SB and 2006 SB champs back to back.

I simply refuse to fall into the trap that pundits put out there about "having what it takes" or "not having it what it takes." It's like fame, undeserved when you get it, and fleeting once the next starlet comes along. The Steelers were supposedly too conservative under Cowher, the Colts too nice under Dungy or stuck with Manning in big games, while the Pats supposedly had some mysterious ingredient. All was and is crap. All three of these teams are simply great powers with different strengths and weaknesses knocking each other around from year to year. It makes sense that ups and downs will occur in terms of who comes out on top. It also makes sense that the franchise we all think is better would be up 3-1 over both of them in these recent years, and not be up 5-0. Even Tiger Woods loses two or three majors every year.

I cry BS to this. Had NE not run into a historic level of unhealth (injuries, flu) they win that game..... and rather handily, IMHO. Even with all the issues, Indy had to have 3 incorrect calls go in their favor to even have a chance to take a lead with a minute left.

NE was lucky to get into that game, but Indy was just as, if not more so, to pull it out.

I cry BS to this. Had NE not run into a historic level of unhealth (injuries, flu) they win that game..... and rather handily, IMHO. Even with all the issues, Indy had to have 3 incorrect calls go in their favor to even have a chance to take a lead with a minute left.

NE was lucky to get into that game, but Indy was just as, if not more so, to pull it out.

I think you're right that we have to be consistent -- we can hardly claim Indy got lucky but that we didn't in the SD game. You read this thread and it's hilarious -- it's almost like people want it both ways. I get that we're fans, but how can it be both that we were the better team against SD and against Indy.

I think ultimately there are just games and results and all the rest is bullcrap. Indy beat us fair and square. Everyone acts like the patriots team in the first half of the Indy game was the real us. I say baloney to that -- the team played over its head and was lucky to be in the position that it was in the second half. Indy played below its potential in that first half. At the end of the day, games are 60 minutes and we lost and they were the better team. In the SD game, same thing. We were better. Lucky? I don't know -- is it luck that we had Troy Brown there to make a big play, or is it just being "better." Seems like a useless debate.

As for whether SD should get over it, or the announcers should, what do I care. We won the game. Winning is all that matters. I don't also require the media or fans of the teams we beat to act a certain way. I just want one more point and they all can say whatever they want. It's all noise and I don't begrudge or even care about any of it.

Put it this way -- if you offered to me that we could win the superbowl this year but we'd have to listen the whole off season that we got lucky to do it and that the other team really was the "better" team on the field that day, I'll take it right now and never complain.

Last edited:
I think you're right that we have to be consistent -- we can hardly claim Indy got lucky but that we didn't in the SD game. You read this thread and it's hilarious -- it's almost like people want it both ways. I get that we're fans, but how can it be both that we were the better team against SD and against Indy.

I think ultimately there are just games and results and all the rest is bullcrap. Indy beat us fair and square.

Again...... The NFL has supposedly sent an apology to Hobbs regarding a pass interference call that was erroneous. Assuming Hobbs isn't lying, that is not Indianapolis winning "fair and square".

Last edited:
I had the same feeling watching that game. The pats looked old and slow,completly over matched. But I don't see fthem as being as affective this year with a new coaching staff headed by Norv Turner. Has he ever really gotten a team to play consistantly?

I agree. How in the world is Norv Turner an upgrade over Marty Schottenheimer? I'm more concerned about Denver than San Diego.

blowing a 17 point afccg game lead isn't odd or crushing? damn....

I agree. How in the world is Norv Turner an upgrade over Marty Schottenheimer? I'm more concerned about Denver than San Diego.
i would have taken anyone over marty

he's a playoff failure

at least with norv he's never really had a good team to coach.

hell he hasn't really even coached an nfl team since the redskins :D

also if i were you i'd be concerned with denver more too, they beat you in the playoffs (of course cutler's never beat you...only plummer did)

Last edited:
i would have taken anyone over marty

he's a playoff failure

at least with norv he's never really had a good team to coach.

hell he hasn't really even coached an nfl team since the redskins :D

also if i were you i'd be concerned with denver more too, they beat you in the playoffs (of course cutler's never beat you...only plummer did)

We'll see if Turner can get as far as Marty in the regular season. I don't remember if Norv has even BEEN to the playoffs as a head coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back