PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots.com with roster moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trocadile

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The New England Patriots made a series of roster moves today to reach the NFL roster limit of 75 players.

The team released veterans, DL Tim Bulman, WR Jabar Gaffney WR Donte’ Stallworth, DB Ross Ventrone and DL Gerard Warren .

Defensive back Will Allen, S Josh Barrett and FB Spencer Larsen were placed on injured reserve.

Tight end Jake Ballard and DL Myron Pryor were placed on the Reserve/Physical Unable to Perform list. Rookie free agent OL Markus Zusevics was placed on the Reserve/Non Football Injury List.

In addition, the Patriots claimed first-year WR Kerry Taylor.

Taylor, 23, was claimed off waivers and awarded to the patriots from Minnesota. He spent a week on the New England practice squad last season in September. The 6-foot, 196-pounder was originally signed by Green Bay as a rookie free agent on July 28, 2011 out of Arizona State. He was released by Green Bay on Sept. 3, 2011. In addition to spending time on the Patriots’ practice squad, Taylor also spent time on the practice squads of San Francisco and Minnesota last year. He was released by Minnesota on Aug. 25, 2012.

Damn, Gaffney not working out really hurts the WR depth. He must be seriously hurt because it sounded like he was playing well enough in camp. Time to take a look at Burress?

So Jesse Holley and Kerry Taylor beat out two vet WRs.

I'm sure we'll see Gaffney or Stallworth on either the Dolphins or Jets.

is that barretts 3rd year on IR.

Thats beats Crable if so.

oh man, gaffney. hoped he could tie in with his last season performance...

Last edited:
WR seems awfully thin all of the sudden...

Lloyd
Welker
Branch
Edelman
Slater
Ebert ?

not thin per se but considering 3 of them are slot guys we are basically in the same positon as last year if Lloyd gets injured or doesn't work out.

Unless the UDFA's are field stretchers. Surprised at Gaffney.

Damn, Gaffney not working out really hurts the WR depth. He must be seriously hurt because it sounded like he was playing well enough in camp. Time to take a look at Burress?

If his injury is not too serious (in that he is able to contribute later in the year), he could be part of the "shadow" roster and be back down the stretch.

Surprised at Gaffney, I am a big Jab fan. The first thing that popped into my head was that Ebert is making the roster, he already beat out Stallworth and Gaffney,

Lloyd
Welker
Branch
Edelman
Slater
Ebert ?

not thin per se but considering 3 of them are slot guys we are basically in the same positon as last year if Lloyd gets injured or doesn't work out.

But more youthful...

Jesse Holley made a great catch in the TB game and provides PS support. still I didn't see both Stallworth and Gaffney being gone. Especially inthe first cut, no shadow roster for them.

Hernandez will be 70% WR, 30% TE this year.

Interesting to see that the initial reports of Larsen and Barrett being cut were incorrect.

It is a bit strange that both Stallworth and Gaffney were let go.

Also, this Taylor guy was on our PS for about ten days last year. Interesting.

Im a big Gerard Warren fan... and with Fanene being cut due to injuries I thought Warren might make it.

Our defense always seems to get better when he's in there.

isn't that what he was last year?

Yes! AH is TE by label only. He's more of a WR which is something people need to remember before freaking out that we're "suddenly thin at WR". With Fells filling in as primarily blocking TE it will free AH further. I'm not saying he's a cure all, but just that people not overlook him because he's not listed as a WR.

Interesting Gaffney and Stallworth are both cut.

Perhaps the Pats will go with

5 WRs -- Welker, Lloyd, Branch, Edelman, Slater
4 TEs -- Gronkowski, Hernandez, Fells, Shiancoe (or Silvestro :D)

That wouldn't be crazy given the personnel groupings they like to use on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes