• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Patriots.com has more detail; I'm providing capsule quotes (everything below is from that page).

7: Keith Rivers, LB, USC

We're making this pick under the assumption that Ohio State's Vernon Gholston will have already been taken. If that's the case, Rivers is a more-than-suitable consolation prize.

62: Tracy Porter, CB, Indiana

A tough, physical corner who excels in man-to-man coverage.

69: John Carlson, TE, Notre Dame

Carlson possesses all the skills to be a productive NFL tight end. He has soft hands and is an underrated blocker.

94: Jason Jones, DE, Eastern Michigan

At 6-5, 273, Jones has the size and athleticism to make the switch to outside linebacker in New England's 3-4 defense.

129: Harry Douglas, WR, Louisville

He was Louisville's version of Wes Welker, always making big receptions when the team needed a first-down.

164: Jonathan Goff, LB, Vanderbilt

Goff (6-2, 245) is a two-down thumper in the Ted Johnson mold.

197: Colt Brennan, QB, Hawaii

Brennan should be available at this point because of the stigma of playing in the run-and-shoot offense and performing poorly at the Senior Bowl.

238: Zachary Bowman, CB, Nebraska

A talented but star-crossed player, he suffered major knee injuries in back-to-back seasons, yet still managed to run a 4.39 40 at the Combine.

That would be a sweet haul. Wouldn't bother with Colt even in the 6th round. Took a TE a little early. Other than that, no complaints.

Brennan might be a suitable back-up if he can get his mechanics down. I do agree that tight end is a little early but if the draft panned out like this, I wouldn't complain.

Tracy Porter reportedly got a 4 on his Wonderlic.

I know a lot of pepole on this board don't like to overreact to Wonderlic scores but 4!!

DUH !!!!

Last edited:
Rivers - I don't see him as a fit in the 3-4. Either at ILB or OLB. He's a stright 4-3 OLB.
Porter - I'd rather have Molden, Flowers, Godfrey or Thomas. Porter seems more like a FS than a good corner, though he may not have the strength for either. Tough and Physical aren't two words that I'd associate with Porter. Considered an ideal "COVER-2" corner.
Carlson - His blocking isn't under-rated. And the Pats don't need another TE who is only good at catching passes
Jones - First time I've heard his name mentioned as a possible OLB convert. Only seen him mentioned as a DT or DE.
Douglas - How Cliche' the Wes Welker comparison's are becoming. Sorry, but I don't see it at all. In fact, he's closer to a Bethel Johnson than a Wes We;lker.
Goff - Goff in the 5th round? He won't last past the 3rd.
Brennan - Waste of a pick. Pats already have 2 QBs behind Brady they are satisfied with. Yes, I realize that Cassel is probably gone after this season, but, then Gutierrez will have 2 seasons with the Pats.
Bowman - Too many injury red flags. Probably a better safety than corner because of his agility issues.

I seriously have to wonder where they get their draft information. If they are getting it from the Pats Scouting Department, then I will be amazed. Most of the information they have I've not heard regarding the players mentioned. Especially then saying that Jones is a good pass rusher. What I've read is that Jones is sub-par against the Pass, but good against the run. He doesn't have the agility to hang with TEs or RBs in this league.

Last edited:
Can you imagine a QB on the Patriots with COLT as his first name?

Not on your life!!!! :bricks:

Patriots.com has more detail; I'm providing capsule quotes (everything below is from that page).

7: Keith Rivers, LB, USC

We're making this pick under the assumption that Ohio State's Vernon Gholston will have already been taken. If that's the case, Rivers is a more-than-suitable consolation prize.

Rivers is a mid 1st rd talent. Drafting him at #7 is like spending $30 on a hamburger. Even if it tastes pretty good, you still got ripped off.

62: Tracy Porter, CB, Indiana

A tough, physical corner who excels in man-to-man coverage.

Lukewarm. Porter is a borderline #2 cb in the NFL. He's not a very physical player.

69: John Carlson, TE, Notre Dame

Carlson possesses all the skills to be a productive NFL tight end. He has soft hands and is an underrated blocker.

No complaints.

94: Jason Jones, DE, Eastern Michigan

At 6-5, 273, Jones has the size and athleticism to make the switch to outside linebacker in New England's 3-4 defense.

He played under tackle. My guess is the Pats are scouting him as 3-4 DE projection not at 3-4 OLB.

129: Harry Douglas, WR, Louisville

He was Louisville's version of Wes Welker, always making big receptions when the team needed a first-down.

Thumbs up...

164: Jonathan Goff, LB, Vanderbilt

Goff (6-2, 245) is a two-down thumper in the Ted Johnson mold.

He may actually be there, according to PFW. Apparently we value him more than the rest of the NFL. Love this pick.

197: Colt Brennan, QB, Hawaii

Brennan should be available at this point because of the stigma of playing in the run-and-shoot offense and performing poorly at the Senior Bowl.

No freaking way. This guy's 25 years old, played college football for 7 years and never saw the inside of a weight room. Throw in his other "issues" and I'd rather develop K. O'Connell or E. Ainge

238: Zachary Bowman, CB, Nebraska

A talented but star-crossed player, he suffered major knee injuries in back-to-back seasons, yet still managed to run a 4.39 40 at the Combine.

Interesting. I might take a shot at Ikegwanu here.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
No WAY I'd take Rivers OR any CB at #7 this year.

I enjoyed watching Jason Jones at the Mobile game. He caught my eye by embarrassing Cherilus and some other highly regarded tackle. He's raw, but he has serious potential.

Bowman would be a potential coup that late. Emphasis on "that late". He had first round potential and wouldn't set any precendents by fulfilling it. Unfortunately, the odds are against him.

Douglas and Goff are cool.

Brennan better use whatever NFL checks he gets wisely, because they won't be coming for long.

Carlson seems like solid depth, maybe more.

Rivers is the question. I'm slowly warming to the idea, but it's a slow warm. He'll be a solid player, but in the top 10? There are plenty of guys in the second I'd prefer.

Two of the picks are o.k. w/ a half-full glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back