PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots/Colts Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Colts have been running those pick plays for years. Why not switch when picked just like in basketball instead of plowing directly into the picker?

I was actually referring to the one where the receiver ran directly into the other man's defender. It was about as blatant as it gets without the involvement of warning letters and firearms, and it still wasn't called.

Ok, once again I'll list them off bullet point style, but first I think something needs to be said.

This is not Tom Brady and the Flying Patriots. This is Matt Cassel and the Walking Wounded. People here really need to stop demanding perfection, and to start realizing that an 11-12 win season will be a great success for this team given all the adversity. I could, and probably should, say more, but if people can't grasp that first obvious point and its ramifications, the rest is just a waste of time. Now, on to the observations:

1.) There was nothing wrong with the idea of the challenge for 12 men on the field. The team thought there was an opportunity to turn a failed first down play into a first and five. It is one that they should have been certain of before tossing the flag on, though, since it was just a matter of counting.

2.) Matt Cassel continues to improve, and he definitely played well enough to win last night.

3.) Matt Cassel continues to not be Tom Brady, and that has a tremendous impact on the opponents' strategy. It also changed the Patriots' strategy, which far too many people here don't seem to understand.

4.) BJGE ran pretty well last night all things considered, but this team really needs to get the better runners back if they are going to win the division.

5.) Moss is showing signs of patience that weren't there earlier in the season, and that should really help the team's mentality.

6.) Mayo is very, very fast. Unfortunately, he's also a rookie, and that's still really hurting the team on several plays a game. You get the good, and you get the bad.

7.) The offensive line is looking much better. Neal makes an enormous difference, as I think people are starting to figure out. I still think the Patriots win the Super Bowl last season if he doesn't get hurt, and nothing I'm seeing with his return to the lineup has convinced me I'm wrong.

8.) Kevin Faulk is Kevin Faulk, for which we should be grateful.

9.) I keep harping on it, but Daniel Graham should still be here.

10.) People are banging on Thomas for his penalty, and rightfully so, but the biggest screw up of the game was Gaffney's drop.

11.) I wish BB hadn't called that timeout on 4th down and then gone for the field goal. The team had a chance to really make a statement there, in light of the San Diego game. I don't think BB was wrong, but I'd have preferred the team go for it.

12.) The league has got to start calling those pick plays on teams like the Colts when they plow right into the defenders. That was inexcusable last night.

13.) The offensive game plan was brilliant, and the execution was almost flawless. Unfortunately, almost was not quite good enough.

14.) People have complained about the pass rush, but they seem to be overlooking 2 key things. First, it was against Manning, and you almost never get sacks against him. Second, they held the Colts to 2.2 yards per rush.

15.) I didn't like the decision to go for 2 because I thought the 2 field goal lead was fine at that point in the game. On the other hand, it's hard to bash the coach for thinking that a touchdown's worth of points was needed against Peyton Manning.

There's a lot more that I'd like to say about last night's game, actually, but this will have to do in the interest of space.
Abt the pick plays,even BB said they ran it all the time on his WEEI intvw today.Couldnt any of the pats players asked the refs to watch for it ?
Also can anyone explain to me how the clock stopped after 1 sec from 20 to 19 secs when harrison caught the ball at the end of the half ??

Abt the pick plays,even BB said they ran it all the time on his WEEI intvw today.Couldnt any of the pats players asked the refs to watch for it ?
Also can anyone explain to me how the clock stopped after 1 sec from 20 to 19 secs when harrison caught the ball at the end of the half ??

I think the clock was a problem with just one clock, because there was a 10 second runoff involved in the play. Had the clock the officials were using actually read 19, they wouldn't have ended the half, but would have said to put 9 seconds on the clock.

As for the picks, the officials let that stuff go all the time, but some of the Colts picks were just absolutely ridiculous. They were doing things you can't do in the NBA, for crying out loud. I don't get the League sometimes. You'd think the League would be embarrassed by how much the officiating is biased in favor of the Colts, but we see the Colts getting the calls all the time, and it doesn't matter what team they play.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back