PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots cheap? I don't think so.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgssand

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
If you look at the success of the Patriots in the BB era and do some reading, it is really easy to get a feel for how and why this team has been on top for as long as it has and will continue to win championships. James Lavin's Volume 1 & 2 of "Management Secrets of the New England Patriots" is great reading and helps frame things a bit.

Also, I happened to be reading Boston Sports Media this morning and thought I might offer a challenge to some of our own from Patsfans.com.

Since there do not appear to be any ambitious reporters that took Mr. Allens bait - perhaps a member of Patsfans.com might take a little time to show once and for all how the Pats spend to the cap and "share the wealth". It would be nice to see which players benefit the most from the "Patriot Model" and perhaps rid the uninformed of using thier Patriots are cheap label every time we refuse to overpay?

By the way, if you haven't read Bruce Allen - link below - spend some time there, you will be glad you did!

"An ambitious reporter would do well to pour over the NFL rosters and see that the Patriots pay the middle to lower end of their roster as compared to the league average at those slots. It's not too hard realize that their numbers for those players are likely going to be higher than other clubs. They may pay their "stars" a bit less, but the overall depth of the roster can be better because they can pay those players more than other clubs do. The depth and talent on the roster is what has made the Patriots Super Bowl champions three times this decade. I really don't think that concept is that difficult to grasp, however many media people in this region seem to be just unable to understand that. That's why the term "bottom feeders" is the most ludicrous of all, since the bottom of their roster is likely better paid than most clubs."

http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/

IIRC there were reports that the Patriots had the highest # of players making over $1M in the NFL, I believe the Steelers were #2 in this stat.

I would think ZMiguel would have this info for the Pats, not sure where to get the data for the other teams.

patsfan13 said:
IIRC there were reports that the Patriots had the highest # of players making over $1M in the NFL, I believe the Steelers were #2 in this stat.

I would think ZMiguel would have this info for the Pats, not sure where to get the data for the other teams.

Miguel??

I would tend to think what you write is true. Now, is it that difficult for an actual Sportswriter in this town to draw parallels between Superbowl victories and a healthy middle class?

At a time when we lose Givens, McGinest, Ashworth and Adam V. and are outbid for key free agents - would it not make sense for non biased writers to do a little digging and explain that to overpay in retaining our own or outbidding for others would only serve to undermine what works?

Or must they wallow in the mire of the ink from their poison pens as they write negative story after negative story looking to stir up needless negative reaction?

Whether we extend Seymour and/or Branch this year or not - the real story is the excitment of this off seaon as we watch the most successful organization in NFL history deal with a windfall of cash - namely, how will they choose to spend $20MM??

Shame on you Boston press, what a true "fellowship of the negative" you guys really are.

You can't be considered cheap if you spend up to cap levels - which the Patriots always do.

In that sense all teams spend the same amount - its just a matter of how they divide it up

Elite players who demand the majority of salary cap dollars for themselves might not love the Patriots model - and call them cheap - but the higher numbers of middle class players certainly appreciate the Patriots willingness to give them their share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back