PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots/Chargers observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just thought I'd toss out a few of my observations based upon last night's game. It's a long list, so I'll keep the opening short.

10.) I still think they should have taken the O-lineman rather than Mayo.

15.) Why the hell is this team still so pass oriented without Brady?

16.) The team that used to win on heart and a refusal to back down from anyone seems to have gotten all too comfortable backing down from opponents this season.

Thanks for an intelligent critique of the game rather than just taking cheap shots, which has become too much the norm out here.

I've only "quoted" above the points where I disagree.

I think Mayo is a once in four or five drafts kind of player and we were right to take him. Also, it was still reasonable to think in April that the O line problems weren't permanent. Remember it was called the best line in the NFL nearly all of last season.

They're "pass oriented" because, w or w/o Maroney, they don't have a dominating running game.

I'm not ready to read the heart out of this team. Ask me again after the Steelers game.

A) This game was about the production from our lines. We lost this game in the trenches.

This was the worst day of Koppen's career. Yates and Levoir were not the problem, other than if that they were replaced by all-pro's we could consider changing our team to a running team. The fact is that this is a passing team with an average passer.

Our defense line made Rivers look like an all-pro. Sure the DB's allowed the big play, but the fault ultimately was lack of pressure on Rivers.

B) The 1st and goal from the 1 series was one of the worst series in years. It's been FIVE years since we failed on a first and goal situation. Belichick and McDaniels SHOULD be yelling at each other (in private)!

C) San Diego did indeed play very well (and were coached well). Belichick generally did what he wanted on defense: contain LT and Gates, and force Rivers to win with his arm. Rivers and their OL came through.

D) Personally, I think we would be much better off with another QB, LB and CB on the squad as some of us have discussed for months. Garcia, Seau and Law come to mind. It is probably too late for a QB. HOWEVER, I would note that none of these players play on the DL and OL, the problems in this game. I do expect that another QB would have been better able to see open receivers.

E) We still don't know much about whether we are a playoff team. That depends on the jets, buffalo and miami. Our fate is certainly in our own hands. We do know that we are not among the elite in the AFC. There have been issues with everyone, but as of now, we simply aren't as good as the SD, INDY, PITT and TENN. We will find out how we measure up to DENVER next weeked (we're favored by 4, which is essentially a pickem on a neutral field). As of now, these five seem to be the playoff teams along with the winner of the EAST.

If by "another QB" you mean a veteran then that presupposes a good enough one to pick up the system who was willing to backup iron man Brady could have been had in the off season. I don't think there was. If you mean the rookie or Gutz, LOL. Ditto to a Culpepper or Garcia in week 1...because for them you scrap the system.

The game was lost in the first half when we gave up 17 points while leaving 14 points on the field. And while another Qb might have seen an open Watson (maybe Cassel thought he was hallucinating...) there is no guarantee they hit him or he hangs on you realize. Fact was we couldn't run it in from the 2 with 4 tries and knew it, and that is just another indictment on this OL.

Thanks for an intelligent critique of the game rather than just taking cheap shots, which has become too much the norm out here.

I've only "quoted" above the points where I disagree.

I think Mayo is a once in four or five drafts kind of player and we were right to take him. Also, it was still reasonable to think in April that the O line problems weren't permanent. Remember it was called the best line in the NFL nearly all of last season.

I've got no problem with Mayo. I just think that when you have a chance to draft the 'franchise' left tackle, you make that pick. And, having watched this team play so far this season, I think having Clady on the line would have been a major upgrade. It's nothing against Mayo, it's just a philosophy issue that I disagree with Belioli on.

They're "pass oriented" because, w or w/o Maroney, they don't have a dominating running game.

But they've got a very talented back in Maroney and top flight players along the O-line. The way I look at it, the running game SHOULD be dominant, or at least very good.

I just thought I'd give this a bump to add in a comment after the Monday night game....

Last night's game between the Browns and Giants should have reminded even the most pessimistic of fans of a couple of significant NFL truths:

1.) Over the course of 16 games, pretty much every team is going to lose 2 games or more.

2.) Good offensive line play makes struggling quarterbacks look much better.

With the Giants going down in flames, there is only one undefeated team in the NFL. There are also only 3 teams with 1 loss. In other words, there are only 4 teams in the entire NFL with fewer losses than the Patriots right now. The Broncos game now looms very large, so let's hope that the offensive line can finally get its act together and that Maroney can come back healthy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back