PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots can't draft out of the first round

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Time to face the facts, since 2006, the Pats can't draft after the first round . No wonder they trade their drafts picks so much for veteran players. In the end, the only reason why the Pats poor drafting has gone unnoticed to fans and the media is because their already the best team in the NFL. Seriously, it's absolutely frustrating to see such a good team waste pick after pick.

In 2006, they traded up for Chad Jackson in the 2nd round. He got cut. Then they drafted another f****** TE in David Thomas in the 3rd round who just got traded for a 7th round draft pick. Just when you think they wouldn't take another TE, they do. In the 4th round they took FB/TE Garrett Mills. He was cut his second year with the team.

In 2007 they traded for Moss and Welker.

In 2008, they took Wheatley in the second round. He has flat out sucked so far. In the third round they take Crable and Kevin O'Connell. O'Connel is gone and Crable is on IR (again). Wilhite was taken in the 4th and has been decent at best.

2009 is yet to be determined. However, another 3rd round pick (McKenzie) is out for season.

From 2006, the Pats best player after the first round has been a f****** kicker.

Now go ahead and rip me.

Last edited:
Brady says go F your rant.

What up Bro!?

Someone is on their period.

Speak on it!

:wha: :beatingcoming:

Is it not more a problem with scouting of players in that case?

the NFL draft is a crapshoot and everyone misses on quite a few picks, the Patriots far less so than the league norm

The OP is the reason I don't read this board as much as I used to.

Someone has had a few beers and...is out ranting...Foolish...no..maybe to the practice squad?? Good grief!!.

I think your spot on. When Delta O'Neil can walk off the street and start, then that should tell u a little about the drafts the last few years. This is starting to become a topic on sports radio and I have read a few stories about the lack luster past drafts.

We just had 9 rookies and UDFA make a stacked team, in a year where we didn't have a first round pick, and you're complaining about the team's 'inability' to draft outside of the first round? You're an idiot.

We just had 9 rookies and UDFA make a stacked team, in a year where we didn't have a first round pick, and you're complaining about the team's 'inability' to draft outside of the first round? You're an idiot.

Have they played a down in a real NFL game yet? Just because they made the team doesn't mean they are going to be any good. Nice try, bro!

There isn't a single team that drafts perfectly. Every team has busts, and not many late round picks stick around. You have to compare the Patriots drafting record with the rest of the league, and you'd find it stands out pretty well.

Plus, Tom Brady says hi.

Time to face the facts, the Pats can't draft after the first round. No wonder they trade their drafts picks so much for veteran players. In the end, the only reason why the Pats poor drafting has gone unnoticed to fans and the media is because their already the best team in the NFL. Seriously, it's absolutely frustrating to see such a good team waste pick after pick.

In 2006, they traded up for Chad Jackson in the 2nd round. He got cut. Then they drafted another f****** TE in David Thomas in the 3rd round who just got traded for a 7th round draft pick. Just when you think they wouldn't take another TE, they do. In the 4th round they took FB/TE Garrett Mills. He was cut his second year with the team.

In 2008, they took Wheatley in the second round. He has flat out sucked so far. In the third round they take Crable and Kevin O'Connell. O'Connel is gone and Crable is on IR (again). Wilhite was taken in the 4th and has been decent at best.

2009 is yet to be determined.

From 2006, the Pats best player after the first round has been a f****** kicker.

Now go ahead and rip me.
Why? either you aren't serious and are just looking for attention, or you are so numb you need to be pitied, not ripped.

My suggestion: Learn that not having all or even half you draft picks work out is not a sign of failure. Learn that you delevop a draft philosophy that yields consistently winning teams. Learn that guys that don't make it are part of the process, that all teams have guys that don't work out. Learn that if you only make what are considered safe players you won't rise above the mass of other teams. Learn that the body of work of your teams, whether they are competitive year after year, is what determines how successful you are. Learn that good teams are measured by the players they keep on the team, not by the players they drop off it.

You know, that's a lot for you to learn. If that's too hard, I suppose you can GFY, but I say to give it a shot. Try to figure out who the best team of the decade is, and then praise the philosophy of the guys who put those teams together. HINT: read more, post less.

Time to face the facts, the Pats can't draft after the first round. No wonder they trade their drafts picks so much for veteran players. In the end, the only reason why the Pats poor drafting has gone unnoticed to fans and the media is because their already the best team in the NFL. Seriously, it's absolutely frustrating to see such a good team waste pick after pick.

Now go ahead and rip me.

Maybe that's why Kraft and Belichick let Pioli go?

I agree with your post. It is what it is.

Where is the practice squad room when you need it. Bro is definitely someone who needs to be exiled there..

Now go ahead and rip me.
Time to face facts, your expectations are warped.
Wilhite, taken in the 4th, started at the end of last year, and looks like a permanent starter now, and you call that decent at best for a 4th rounder? You are wrong.
Wheatley was injured. Injured = sucks to you?
Crabel has been injured. So now you are requiring the drafter to predict the future of injuries?
Thomas was here 3 years and then we got something for him. Please tell me the average career span, with the drafting team of a 3rd round pick. If you actually looked and tried to base your opinion on fact, you'd be surprised.
Overall, the guy who just posted you are an idiot, nailed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes