PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots by the Numbers - Bedard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urgent

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Interesting stat summary by Bedard in the Globe.

Patriots season by the numbers - The Boston Globe

Some highlights:

Impact of Anderson and Carter - Sacks in 2010 were 28; 20 sacks in 2011 from Anderson and Carter. Another 31 knockdowns from Anderson (10) and Carter (21), while knockdowns increased from 58 to 83. Carter really thrived with the Patriots.

Missed tackles, however, increased significantly, from 72 to 111, led by 15 from Ninkovich and 12 from Ihedigbo.

The O-line declined in all stats noticeably. Sacks allowed up from 28 to 35. QB pressures up from 81 to 106. Stuffed runs up from 85 to 110. Mankins led the entire team in penalties. Solder gave up 23 QB pressures.

There was a stat showing tackles by percent of time on the field. Leader was not Mayo but Edelman with 23%. If he was on the field, the QB was going his way.

The defense was last in the league preventing big plays - last in plays allowed over 10 yards, last in plays allowed over 20 yards, and a big decline from the previous season.

Insight into some trends from the season.

Interesting stat summary by Bedard in the Globe.

Patriots season by the numbers - The Boston Globe

Some highlights:

Impact of Anderson and Carter - Sacks in 2010 were 28; 20 sacks in 2011 from Anderson and Carter. Another 31 knockdowns from Anderson (10) and Carter (21), while knockdowns increased from 58 to 83. Carter really thrived with the Patriots.

Missed tackles, however, increased significantly, from 72 to 111, led by 15 from Ninkovich and 12 from Ihedigbo.

The O-line declined in all stats noticeably. Sacks allowed up from 28 to 35. QB pressures up from 81 to 106. Stuffed runs up from 85 to 110. Mankins led the entire team in penalties. Solder gave up 23 QB pressures.

There was a stat showing tackles by percent of time on the field. Leader was not Mayo but Edelman with 23%. If he was on the field, the QB was going his way.

The defense was last in the league preventing big plays - last in plays allowed over 10 yards, last in plays allowed over 20 yards, and a big decline from the previous season.

Insight into some trends from the season.

I would like to see those stats broken down between first half and second half of the season. I think missed tackles are up for everybody this year because of the lack of padded practices.

Last edited:
I started to read the piece this morning and shortly into it, I became overwhelmed by the numbers. Maybe I'll try later today after I've had a chance lie down.

The offensive line numbers being worse isn't really surprising.

Vollmer was injured for much of the season
Koppen was lost for the year
Mankins was due to have a lesser season after being so good last year
The backup C (Connolly) got injured, as did his backup at one point
The team had to transition at RG

With all of that, it was still good enough to get the team to the Super Bowl in a declining conference. As long as they can bring back their own center(s) and keep RG solid (with either waters or Cannon), this upcoming season should be a better one.

Last edited:
The offensive line numbers being worse isn't really surprising.

Vollmer was injured for much of the season
Koppen was lost for the year
Mankins was due to have a lesser season after being so good last year
The backup C (Connolly) got injured, as did his backup at one point
The team had to transition at RG

With all of that, it was still good enough to get the team to the Super Bowl in a declining conference. As long as they can bring back their own center(s) and keep RG solid (with either waters or Cannon), this upcoming season should be a better one.

I think they will give it a try at G and a lot depends on light and waters but I think Cannon might actually project to RT. If Waters retires its more worth the experiment to try him inside but if Light retires his value as backup tackle becomes real important. In the end it comes down to what he does best.

Maybe this will debunk the misperception that Brady is somehow succombing to things like imaginary pressure... Matchups being what they are, this team usually has a couple of games a season where Brady's uniform doesn't need to be laundered post game. And the Brady has all day commentary tends to lead some to believe that isn't the exception to the rule. Stopping Brady has increasingly become job 1 for most defenses we face whether they attempt to do that via intensive pass rush or a combination of selective pass rush coupled with intensive coverage, depending on their own personnel skill set. That is reality and not perception. And yet he finds a way to get them there, as he has since 2001, be that to the playoffs or to the top of the division and a bye or to the ship as Gronk calls it.

These are great numbers. I think they support and in some cases exacerbate what was observed with the naked eye, which is:

Safety is a huge problem area. Not only w/regard to coverage, but even more so when it comes to limiting YAC and supporting the run. Especially with Chung missing so much time.

Without Mike Wright, there is no one who can pressure the QB up the middle.

Carter, Anderson, and Wilfork are the 3 guys who saved this defense from being an absolute disaster.

Several players had down years - Woodhead, McCourty, Mankins, Law Firm, Vollmer, perhaps even Mayo. While some can be expected to bounce back (Mankins, Mayo and Vollmer), the others have to prove they are more than 1-year wonders.

I started to read the piece this morning and shortly into it, I became overwhelmed by the numbers. Maybe I'll try later today after I've had a chance lie down.

Me too, I just skimmed over all the stats. One thing that jumped out though, was Nate Solder didn't appear to be very good this year. Not a huge surprise but the stats are worse than I thought.

Ideally, Ihedigbo would be three players removed from starting at safety, or not even on the roster at all.

I would like to see those stats broken down between first half and second half of the season. I think missed tackles are up for everybody this year because of the lack of padded practices.
Great point. In addition I would like to see similar comparisons league-wide for some of those stats, most specifically missed tackles. The only comparison was really 2010 Pats vs 2011 Pats in most instances, other than a few overall rankings where they were at the very top or bottom.

Ideally, Ihedigbo would be three players removed from starting at safety, or not even on the roster at all.
I agree. As I recall when he was signed the assumption was that it would strictly be for special teams. I have no problem with him returning in that role, but if he's on the field for any regular snaps in 2012 other than in garbage time that's probably not a good sign.

Me too, I just skimmed over all the stats. One thing that jumped out though, was Nate Solder didn't appear to be very good this year. Not a huge surprise but the stats are worse than I thought.

I wouldn't fret. Dante says his rookie season was no where near as bad as Light's...

Add to this the fact that Solder had an abbreviated pre-season and Cannon had none. Hopefully Seabass' back problems won't be chronic.

Add to this the fact that Solder had an abbreviated pre-season and Cannon had none. Hopefully Seabass' back problems won't be chronic.

Post more. Please. The percentage of ridiculous offseason posting seems to be at a record high this year. You can help get that percentage down.

Post more. Please. The percentage of ridiculous offseason posting seems to be at a record high this year. You can help get that percentage down.

Solder = bust, IMO.

I'd like to see that stat compared to other team boards, not just a record high vs. 2010 for this team. Is our ridiculosity growing in line with league averages? Also, probably better to compare second half of the offseason to the first half...

Solder = bust, IMO.

I'd like to see that stat compared to other team boards, not just a record high vs. 2010 for this team. Is our ridiculosity growing in line with league averages? Also, probably better to compare second half of the offseason to the first half...

:ban?:

ya buggers.... :p

I think they will give it a try at G and a lot depends on light and waters but I think Cannon might actually project to RT. If Waters retires its more worth the experiment to try him inside but if Light retires his value as backup tackle becomes real important. In the end it comes down to what he does best.

My impression on Cannon, on a very limited sample size, is that he projects better at Guard. He seemed less at ease in space, but more powerful.

But, for the sake of argument, say he is a tackle. Light had his best year in a while. Solder made it through his rookie year, and is a first round pick. SeaBass was injured, but had a solid rookie season at RT, and was thought highly enough of to keep off IR while missing much of the season and playoffs.

So you have Light, Vollmer, Solder, Cannon. Who are your starting tackles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes