PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots bring Pierre Woods

Status
Not open for further replies.
And who cares. They are equally adept at making no impact at all on a game.

So excellent special teams play in your estimation equates to "no impact at all" on the outcome of a game?

Interesting.

You are wrong. If those examples didn't matter than he'd still be on the team.

special teams has to be the only reason he's back.....he was totally useless as an OLB

The very underrated ability to set the edge makes him a little more than "useless" as an OLB. TBC and Ninkovich haven't shown the ability to properly set the edge against the run consistently and Cunningham, who is a little better at it than the aforementioned two, is still a rookie learning on the run. Bringing Woods back to help support the run defense and bring a boost to the kickoff and punt coverage teams is a good move. Certainly when you take into account that he's replacing a guy that isn't an impact guy on special teams, is as useless as tits on a bull at setting the edge, and was pretty much nowhere to be found in the pass rush.

Last edited:
Maybe they made the move to give Jarvis Moss a look on the PQ?.:p

What a disaster in Denver. 17th pick in Rd 1 of 07. Sheesh.

Last edited:
LOVE this move.

Absolutely LOVE this move.

NOBODY moves the pieces around the ChessBoard like Coach Bill Belichick.

And an integral part of his Excellence is the justifiably fanatical loyalty he earns from the likes of Flanker Pierre Woods, and many others.

This week, the team is playing the Colts. The Colts can't run, so Woods was clearly not 'needed' to set the edge this week. That means that Crable's contributions against the pass were deemed insufficient to keep him over Woods, even against a passing team. I could be misreading this, but that seems very telling to me. I don't expect to see Crable back on the team.

Of course, now that I've said that, the team will end up re-signing the guy on Monday.

This week, the team is playing the Colts. The Colts can't run, so Woods was clearly not 'needed' to set the edge this week. That means that Crable's contributions against the pass were deemed insufficient to keep him over Woods, even against a passing team. I could be misreading this, but that seems very telling to me. I don't expect to see Crable back on the team.

Of course, now that I've said that, the team will end up re-signing the guy on Monday.

I wouldnt rule out the PS for Crable.

I think you are missing something in your analysis above and that is Woods acumen as STer which is likely why he was brought back. You can say all you want about the Colts STs but I think other posters have been on the money when mentioning Graham is not going to kick as far as Gost would so coverage becomes more important.

That could be right. The way I see it, they also want to boost the ST cover units as much as possible so we can avoid giving Manning short fields to work with.

I wouldnt rule out the PS for Crable.

I think you are missing something in your analysis above and that is Woods acumen as STer which is likely why he was brought back. You can say all you want about the Colts STs but I think other posters have been on the money when mentioning Graham is not going to kick as far as Gost would so coverage becomes more important.

The Patriots have extra offensive linemen and could have cut one of them instead. Instead, heading into a game against the Colts, they cut a guy who's supposed strength is his work against the pass.

Last edited:
Don't we have 11 offensive lineman right now? Why?

Did anyone else feel a twinge?.....Reading that Pierre was working at Michigan as a groundskeeper and doesn't have cable tv to watch the games.

Maybe,I'm just a "softie":cry2::cry2::cry2:

Last edited:

Glad to know that you think special teams makes no impact on the game.. :rolleyes:

Did anyone else feel a twinge?.....Reading that Pierre was working at Michigan as a groundskeeper and doesn't have cable tv to watch the games.

Actually, it begs the question as to what he did with the money he made over the first few years on the team..

So, who are they going to cut to make room for eric alexander? jk, woods is actually a decent player. I though he was starting to create a pass rush before he broke his jaw in 08.

Actually, it begs the question as to what he did with the money he made over the first few years on the team..

Maybe he is being sensible and realises that the amount he made is not going to last him that long so needs to work and save money to support his family.

C'mon Db! Young guy in his 20's, why does he need to be sitting on a couch watching TV? He took a job he could leave immediately when an NFL team called, he took the job at his old college where he could have access to a free weight room and even some coaching from experts, he works out twice a day (anyone want to tell me he does two 20 minute workouts a day?), he doesn't know what team might call him up so why put a lot of money into luxury items like TV? After the way NE coaches youngsters on staying clean off the field and preparing for a life after football, I'd be very surprised if Pierre had run through all his earnings while in NE - we know he had a home locally because Edelman was renting a bedroom from him.

I'm surprised you joined in with the folks trying to read the worst into the reporting. You might need a vacation to clear your head if you're getting sucked in by the dark side posters!

Last edited:

I did too. I'm just happy for the guy and glad that he's back with the team. Hope he can stick this time.

so long as he doesn't let runningbacks strip fumbles away from him, hes welcome

Actually,DB,I prefer to think that this is another in a long-line of BB taking care of "his guys"...especially those in need.......but,maybe that's,just me:rocker:

I wonder if BB had gone 2 weeks ago to meet with Woods whose hometown is in Cleveland and had a talk with him about rejoining the team in the near future or maybe Woods just asked to speak to BB about wanting his job back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back