PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Brass Concerned about Wilfork?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Ian's Daily Blog - Not to pick on him, but Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports threw out a statement that unfortunately unless he's got a real reason to back it up, it's enough to raise an eyebrow for Patriots fans who have to believe it's way off base.

Unfortunately, this is what happens in the NFL. He's won a super bowl and now has a lot of money. It wouldn't shock me if his play drops off, but I certainly hope this doesn't happen.

Last edited:
He actually looks like he might have lost a few pounds to me. Based on what he's said so far this offseason, he sounds mighty committed. Of course, Cole could be right. It wouldn't be the first time a guy's play has dropped off after a big payday. But it sounds like Vince is ready to assume some sort of leadership role on our defense.

He actually looks like he might have lost a few pounds to me. Based on what he's said so far this offseason, he sounds mighty committed. Of course, Cole could be right. It wouldn't be the first time a guy's play has dropped off after a big payday. But it sounds like Vince is ready to assume some sort of leadership role on our defense.
There's also the whole legacy thing. Do you want to be remembered as just a good player or remembered as a great player, possibly the greatest of your era?

Wilfork strikes me as the guy who wants to be remembered as the best.

This is a concern about every DT after they cash in, but as stated, Wilfork looks thinner than he has been in the past.

Jason Ferguson comes to mind.

I think it's pretty clear to most of us locals that they aren't concerned about effort or committment - or they wouldn't have given him a deal, period. They are rightfully concerned about his weight going forward because he has talked about it's significance because of his own situation (both parents died young of weight related medical issues). He has talked about getting into better shape, not sure he's actually accomplished that to date. It has yet to impact or effect his play or ability to play. He's been a pretty solid and dependable guy who has even played hurt. That said, they inserted a couple of million worth of weight and workout related bonus clauses in his deal as motivation. If he had an issue with their view of the importance of having those clauses we would have known it. If they really didn't trust him to make the effort to meet them, they probably would have been substantially larger... I think he and Bianca actually embrace them because they are reasonable and they honestly intend to meet the same goals.

Nose tackles need to be concerned about their figures.:rolleyes:

In other earth shattering news Cole reveals that Ty Warren is aging, as opposed to getting younger like the actors in cocoon.

What a buffoon, why does anyone read him?

Does someone actually think someone in Patriots management said that to him after drooping all that money on him?

Seriously? I don't.

Last edited:
It's déjà vu all over again.

“There’s a lot of concern with the Patriots management that Vince Wilfork is going to bloat now that he has gotten paid.”

After the recent 'disconnect' piece, I somehow doubt that anyone in the Patriots management team is speaking to someone from Yahoo - unless there's an extremely disgruntled employee in the front office. If somebody was really that dissatisfied, wouldn't they walk and get another job elsewhere? I know there are many people not happy with their jobs, but to the point of sabotaging their own careers? Perhaps that happens with mid or lower level employees; not so often with those in management.

Yes, there are many NFL players that have not put forth as much effort after signing a contract in comparison to their play in the final year of a contract. And yes, I recognize that Wilfork's weight is a potential problem. But I really feel that of all media sources to have an exclusive inside source to not only Tom Brady but also to the Patriots' management, it is highly unlikely that Yahoo is that media source.

One last thing: what has happened between the new contract being signed a few weeks ago and today that the Patriots' management is now suddenly so concerned about? If 'bloating' is a concern today, then it would have been a concern two months ago as well - and there would have been some clauses inserted into the contract about weight, body fat, conditioning, etc.

Last edited:
You sure he wasn't talking about Albert Hainesworth?

Big Vince can afford lap band now.

You sure he wasn't talking about Albert Hainesworth?

It can't be about Albert - he was grossly overpaid and is still unsatisfied.

He now sees himself in the future role of defensive coordinator/defensive tackle.

i believe the pats are concerned about wilfork's weight, going down. he's a nose tackle !! is jason cole a moron ?

The original Yahoo article also refers to an "aging Ty Warren" as another concern. You mean the Ty Warren who is in his prime and won't be 30 until after the season?

I don't take any stock in this report.

Seems to me, the Patriots brass would be wise to leak out a "concern" in this fashion... Personally I think Wilkfork is very driven to be among the top NTs and knows that too much mass will get in the way of it.

Wilfork has a lot of pride and likely doesn't want to be one of "those guys" and this type of rumor might be designed to prevent that, putting him on notice as it were.

But we know Wilfork CAN shed the pounds and get himself in shape - so it's not like he's a guy who has no experience getting in shape who will slide further now that he's got a big contract.

The original Yahoo article also refers to an "aging Ty Warren" as another concern. You mean the Ty Warren who is in his prime and won't be 30 until after the season?

I don't take any stock in this report.

Yeah, I'm really not sure why some reporters keep harping on this defense's age. This is an EXTREMELY young defense. So young that not even Pats fans know what they're going to get out of them.

Yeah, I'm really not sure why some reporters keep harping on this defense's age. This is an EXTREMELY young defense. So young that not even Pats fans know what they're going to get out of them.

They're either too old, or "the Pats have jettisoned all their experienced veteran leadership". Seems like they can't win regardless.

They're either too old, or "the Pats have jettisoned all their experienced veteran leadership". Seems like they can't win regardless.

OOOOH NOOOOS!

We're DOOOOOOOOOMED! :scared:

Wait, the article says this as well..." Fans know what Wilfork brings to the table, and so far through minicamps he seems on track to pick up where he left off last season. His offseason has more or less appeared to be business as usual, with the veteran nose tackle actively involved with charities and events with his fellow players. There were also no reports of him appearing overweight during any of the minicamps or OTA’s."

So the observable facts indicate that nothing of note relative to the concerns has happened. Me, I'd be surprised if there were NOT a profesional level of concern about weight gain by all parties given his family history.

Best of health to the Wilfork family!

I posted this on another thread:

I think you can say that about any team that they worry about their big guys' weight. As management you keep an eye on it, anticipate and head it off. But I see no reason to believe Vince will lapse.

Any worry I might have had went away when I saw Willie McGinest on ESPN say Vince's wife, Bianca, won't let him slack. I can't find the video after a quick search (and I have to go right now), which is too bad, since Willie is pretty funny about Bianca. Here's Reiss's take on the segment:

Video: Bruschi, McGinest talk shop - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey