PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Best/Worst Picks By Round

realtime

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Was just randomly thinking about the best/worst Patriots picks of all time by round. Here are my votes (1st 7 rounds only).

1st Round:

Best: Richard Seymour
Worst: Dennis Byrd

2nd Round:

Best: Andre Tippett
Worst: Mike Ruth

3rd Round:

Best: Curtis Martin
Worst: Ervin Collier

4th Round:

Best: Asante Samuel
Worst: Leonta Rheams

5th Round:

Best: Ben Coates
Worst: Christian Peter

6th Round:

Best: Tom Brady
Worst: Arther Love

7th Round:

Best: Julian Edelman
Worst: Andy Stokes

What say ye?

Its hard not to put big Vince number 1.
Round 4 I would go Dan Koppen over Assante.
But nice post with a interesting premise.

Surprised that you went Dennis Byrd over the likes of Eugene Chung, Hart Lee Dykes or Chris Canty

2nd Round:

Best: Andre Tippett
Worst: Mike Ruth

3rd Round:

Best: Curtis Martin
Worst: Ervin Collier

Best pick probably is Martin in the 3rd for career value but if you went off of Patriots value probably Tedy. 2nd round Chad Jackson would get some votes for the worst.

Nice list, I think I would have to add a round:

8th Round:

Best: Troy Brown
Worst: James Keyton

Surprised that you went Dennis Byrd over the likes of Eugene Chung, Hart Lee Dykes or Chris Canty

My memory of Dykes was that initially he was impressive and productive.

What happened?

Those are all worthy candidates. I give it to Byrd because he was a higher pick than Chung, Dykes or Canty (#6 overall) and his selection shows an utter lack of diligence that seems unimaginable today. Byrd tore apart his knee late in his senior season at NC State, never recovered, and was out of football after just one NFL season.

My memory of Dykes was that initially he was impressive and productive.

What happened?

He was often dinged up and then he suffered a devastating knee injury which effectively ended his career.

He was decent enough when he was healthy, though he had a maddening habit of making one spectacular catch and dropping two or three gimmes seemingly every game.

Joe Burch in the 3rd round. Bad.

And what about Chris Singleton. I mean, there are players worse than him in the first round, but he was the 8th pick. Now that's really really bad. Worse than some of the others who went in the 20s.

Joe Burch in the 3rd round. Bad.

And what about Chris Singleton. I mean, there are players worse than him in the first round, but he was the 8th pick. Now that's really really bad. Worse than some of the others who went in the 20s.

He was brutal. The draft day trade that brought him here (which ultimately became Singleton and Ray Agnew for Cortez Kennedy and Terry Wooden) may be the worst trade in Patriots history.

He was brutal. The draft day trade that brought him here (which ultimately became Singleton and Ray Agnew for Cortez Kennedy and Terry Wooden) may be the worst trade in Patriots history.

Didn't Miami take a guy that became an all pro offensive tackle in between Agnew and singleton?

Didn't Miami take a guy that became an all pro offensive tackle in between Agnew and singleton?

If they did then it's turn about fair play as they handed Leon Gray to us for free.

He was often dinged up and then he suffered a devastating knee injury which effectively ended his career.

He was decent enough when he was healthy, though he had a maddening habit of making one spectacular catch and dropping two or three
gimmes seemingly every game.

I thought Dykes got whacked in the head with a pool stick and suffered a serious eye injury. Out drinking with Irving Fryar.

For a first round pick in the 20's, Stanley Morgan had a great career. Didn't want to pick a guy chosen in Top 10.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back