PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots - Best Linebackers in the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

RI Patriots fan

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Nice. They got there faster than I expected/hoped. Mayo might have Wally Pip'ed himself out of a starting role next season. No way, jk there. Although BB always plans to make sure NE has the depth, he's probably as psyched as I am that these two have blossomed so nicely.

Last edited:
Belichick definitely knows how to put together a good line backing corps. We have been great even without Mayo.

It's an outstanding group of individuals when Jerod Mayo may enter the season as your 3rd best linebacker. The group of Collins, Hightower, Mayo, Ayers and Casillas is a fantastic building block. I'm hopeful Ayers and Casillas stick around for a while longer.

PFF also has Mankins as the 30th best guard and Dan Connolly somewhere around 74th (out of 76 total, I think). Credibility isn't their strong suit.

It's PFF

/thread

Teddy Bruschi on Jamie Collins' strip sack of Kyle Orton:

“Beast. Beast, especially that play you’re talking about where he told that running back just to get out of my way and Kyle Orton back there running for his life trying to find him and he still comes. It’s just that type of effort. I mean, the sky is the limit for this kid. … He’s told what to do, he knows his responsibly and now he is showing you he has the instincts to take it to the next level and the effort and ability. It’s very exciting to watch.”

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...nse-will-have-to-pick-up-offense-in-playoffs/

I think Collins had a much better season than Lawrence Timmons, who was voted to the Pro Bowl after some lobbying by the Steelers. 116 tackles, 4 sacks, 8 QB hits, 17 pressures, 7 TFL, 2 INTs, 3 PD, 4 FF, 2 fumble recoveries, plus a blocked FG for a TD. Played 498 coverage snaps, more than anyone other than McCourty and Revis, and had an opposing 54 QBR.

I won't ever give PFF'S analysis any weight whatsoever, but my own eyes tell me that this is one of the times that they happened to find a nut.

"Jamie Collins, LB: +1.9

Breakdown: Collins enjoyed another strong performance, and finishes the season as our third-highest ranked inside linebacker, trailing only Luke Kuechly and teammate Dont’a Hightower. Collins leads his position in Pass Rushing Productivity, converting 81 pass rushes into 27 total pressures."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/12/29/refo-bills-patriots-week-17-2/
So why didn't you post this about hightower and collins
confused-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

The Pats LB core is among the best in the NFL. I didn't need PFF to tell me that.

I do wonder what will happen next year. Are they really going to put one of these 3 guys on the bench 70% of the time? Such a waste but also you really have to play nickel a lot in today's NFL.

Nice. They got there faster than I expected/hoped. Mayo might have Wally Pip'ed himself out of a starting role next season. No way, jk there. Although BB always plans to make sure NE has the depth, he's probably as psyched as I am that these two have blossomed so nicely.
I think you are premature here, but assuming he comes back fully from his injury the prospects of have 3 LB's all capable of providing adequate coverage skills, with one above average and one exceptional, all capable of playing anywhere on the field. All capable of rushing the passer and all good at defending the run, could be extraordinary.

Add the versatility of guys like Jones and Ninko, Patricia pretty much can let his imagination run rampant because he can line up almost all of his defense in any configuration he wants. One of most important element for an OC to determine is where everyone on the offense is expected to be. Up until this season, that wasn't a problem for opposing QB's and OC's. Now with the improved secondary and the maturing of our key front 7 players we have become a lot less predictable to the point where our unpredictability can become a real problem for OC's and QB's

Now add Mayo back into the mix and it can free up explosive players like Collins and Hightower to take more risks and become more aggressive. It also greatly improves the depth of the position.

I'm telling you all now, that IF Mayo comes back healthy, IF Easley becomes Aaron Donald when healthy and another year removed from his surgeries, IF the secondary comes back intact, this defense WILL be crazy scary. You know when you think on it, that is not a lot of IF's, and all are realistic.

I think you are premature here, but assuming he comes back fully from his injury the prospects of have 3 LB's all capable of providing adequate coverage skills, with one above average and one exceptional, all capable of playing anywhere on the field. All capable of rushing the passer and all good at defending the run, could be extraordinary.

Add the versatility of guys like Jones and Ninko, Patricia pretty much can let his imagination run rampant because he can line up almost all of his defense in any configuration he wants. One of most important element for an OC to determine is where everyone on the offense is expected to be. Up until this season, that wasn't a problem for opposing QB's and OC's. Now with the improved secondary and the maturing of our key front 7 players we have become a lot less predictable to the point where our unpredictability can become a real problem for OC's and QB's

Now add Mayo back into the mix and it can free up explosive players like Collins and Hightower to take more risks and become more aggressive. It also greatly improves the depth of the position.

I'm telling you all now, that IF Mayo comes back healthy, IF Easley becomes Aaron Donald when healthy and another year removed from his surgeries, IF the secondary comes back intact, this defense WILL be crazy scary. You know when you think on it, that is not a lot of IF's, and all are realistic.

Suddenly I need tissues. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing