Patriots Belichick Reminded Everyone Recently There Will Be a 'Next Coach'

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots Belichick Hinted Recently He Won't Coach Forever
By: Ian Logue

It's hard to believe it's been 11 years since head coach Bill Belichick took over here in New England, and obviously considering what's transpired over that span, fans have definitely been spoiled....

Re: Patriots Belichick Hinted Recently He Won't Coach Forever

If/When Belichick decides to hang up his headset, he will leave as the longest tenured Patriots coach in history.

He'll be a guaranteed 1st ballot Hall of Famer.
He'll be a guaranteed 1st ballot Patriots Hall of Famer.
He could, very well, be amongst the winningest coaches in history, Though Don Shula has a very firm grip on that over-all title.

File this under extremely misleading headline. :mad:

I would not consider that a hint he wont coach for ever.

He joked that he would not be moving Mayo to OLB maybe the next coach will is not a hint at anything other than Mayo will be playing inside for BB.

I thought Ian promised threads on this site would get better after the lockout...:ugh:

Nothing lasts forever. Now there's a column worthy news flash...:rolleyes:

Please tell me the phrase "next coach" is being taken out of context or he's somehow reffering to another team or an assisstant or whatever.

I don't even want to think about BB retiring. He can't. He's made so many long term moves. Possibly the biggest of all being for a potential franchise QB in Mallett.

He's thinking long term. Not retirement.

Where there's smoke there's fire

and when there's no smoke, make up alot of steam, point and yell....look there's a fire!!!!

Obviously BB has to retire at some point and maybe the thought crosses his mind, but he could also go the Joe Paterno route because he seems to genuinely love the sport (though maybe it's the media that makes him think of retirement).

Last edited:

Please tell me the phrase "next coach" is being taken out of context or he's somehow reffering to another team or an assisstant or whatever.

I don't even want to think about BB retiring. He can't. He's made so many long term moves. Possibly the biggest of all being for a potential franchise QB in Mallett.

He's thinking long term. Not retirement.

I hope you're right, the only coach I could stand coaching the Patriots aside from BB would be Sean Payton, and I dont think New Orleans would want to let him go.

He has a life span? Source?

Patriots Belichick Hinted Recently He Won't Coach Forever

I didn't really think about it until I looked at how old Mayo is and when Bruschi retired, etc. As I wrote, doing the math and looking at how old he would be, etc., that's what made me wonder if he could be around for Mayo's entire career.

I'd like to think he'll be here when he's 67 (and that we'll still have Mayo ;) )...but I don't think he will be.

Also - it's not a report, it's just opinion. Obviously due to recent events I figured I should point that out :rolleyes:

LOL. So basically from what he said about Mayo is being twisted into saying that Belichick won't be coaching forever?

Now wait a minute. BB isn't going to coach FOREVER - What a headline. What's next "The Earth is not going to last FOREVER. Once again I am going to be heavily fined for responding to this thread. :rolleyes:

I'm not going to do anything forever. Except stay cool.

I'm not going to do anything forever. Except stay cool.

jewcy.07.23.04.jpg

BB will be another M Levy and coach till his 70's.

It's not quite out of context but it's certainly a stretch (IMO). I think really it was a variation of "not as long as I'm the coach" - an idiom or whatever that I think BB would say without remotely being a hint he intends to leave soon. Really, if Belichick had plans to leave, I don't think he's the type of guy to do cute things like give hints.

Well.... If any of this changes and Belichick decides he will coach forever, at least when they prop up his corpse for the interviews we'll still be getting the same amount of information.

Like a shark that stops swimming, I'd give him 6 months after quitting before he craoks.

Well.... If any of this changes and Belichick decides he will coach forever, at least when they prop up his corpse for the interviews we'll still be getting the same amount of information.

This really deserves a Post of the Year award. Spectacular

Clone Bill Belichick and put him in a controlled environment that was 90% like the one the real BB lived. The clone would lead us to 3 more championships and a decade plus of dominance:rocker:

this is the only answer:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye