PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots backup QB displays new polish

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know some folks on this board have their reservations about Mallett's skill-set but based on the article, these are all good indications that he is serious about being a NEP, a true "pro" and a successful QB in the NFL.

How he actually performs on the field is obviously still an open question.

I know some folks on this board have their reservations about Mallett's skill-set...
I don't recall anyone down on his on-the-field skills, but rather rumors off off-the-field issues that hinted at immaturity and a lack of focus.

From this point of view, gaining a reputation of always showing up on time, having no legal issues, etc. actually does increase his value as an NFL QB. He can make every throw better than two-thirds of current NFL starters, IMO.

I don't recall anyone down on his on-the-field skills, but rather rumors off off-the-field issues that hinted at immaturity and a lack of focus.

From this point of view, gaining a reputation of always showing up on time, having no legal issues, etc. actually does increase his value as an NFL QB. He can make every throw better than two-thirds of current NFL starters, IMO.

Mo thinks he sucks in every regard and that hoyer is the end all be all

Mo thinks he sucks in every regard and that hoyer is the end all be all

It is Mo but he cites football-reasons as why he isn't high on him as opposed to nonsensical reasons such as like-ability, maturity, etc.

It is Mo but he cites football-reasons as why he isn't high on him as opposed to nonsensical reasons such as like-ability, maturity, etc.
Gotcha.

His opinion doesn't seem to be shared by the draft analysts and those who covered SEC football or even pro days and the combine, for that matter.

I suppose it is a safe contrarian position to take, until Mallett actually plays in a regular season game as a starter, which is hopefully years away.

Gotcha.

His opinion doesn't seem to be shared by the draft analysts and those who covered SEC football or even pro days and the combine, for that matter.

I suppose it is a safe contrarian position to take, until Mallett actually plays in a regular season game as a starter, which is hopefully years away.

Exactly. I thought in pre-season he did some good things and some terrible things- just as you would expect from a rookie. Maybe Mo is seeing things that I don't. Who knows. Its his opinion and I respect it.

There is no question that Mallett has the physical skills and gifts. The question is does he have what a guy like Brady has (work ethic, smarts, leadership, pocket awareness, accuracy, ultra-competitive and driven to be GoAT). Its a tall order but if has 80% of all those qualities as compared to Brady, the Pats have a keeper.

Last edited:

not really.......saying he doesn't fit the scheme without any explanation is pretty worthless. Mo's point is reverse engineered from the fact that he simply doesn't like the kid......and yes, mo also brings in the personal part.

Mo is very clear with factual things like written rules and cap stuff, but he's extremely vague in supporting anything remotely requiring any amount of opinion....I guess its easier to not be wrong that way.

Exactly. I thought in pre-season he did some good things and some terrible things- just as you would expect from a rookie. Maybe Mo is seeing things that I don't. Who knows. Its his opinion and I respect it.

There is no question that Mallett has the physical skills and gifts. The question is does he have what a guy like Brady has (work ethic, smarts, leadership, pocket awareness, accuracy, ultra-competitive and driven to be GoAT) its a tall order but if has 80% of all those qualities as compared to Brady, the Pats have a keeper.

he's NOT TOM BRADY.

and it's not like brady doesn't have his own share of personal skeletons. I'm not so sure I would tell my kid to mold his personal principles after those of tom brady.

not really.......saying he doesn't fit the scheme without any explanation is pretty worthless. Mo's point is reverse engineered from the fact that he simply doesn't like the kid......and yes, mo also brings in the personal part.

Mo is very clear with factual things like written rules and cap stuff, but he's extremely vague in supporting anything remotely requiring any amount of opinion....I guess its easier to not be wrong that way.

Citing a mismatch with skill-set & scheme is a football reason. I'm not going to imply that he manufactured that just because he hates the guy. I have no idea.

he's NOT TOM BRADY.

and it's not like brady doesn't have his own share of personal skeletons. I'm not so sure I would tell my kid to mold his personal principles after those of tom brady.

terrible post imo

he's NOT TOM BRADY.

Who said anything about personal skelatons? He was talking about football-characteristics.

he's NOT TOM BRADY.

I didn't say he was. I said IF he has an X% of his personality traits, the Pats need to keep him.

Because he had a child out of wedlock?

Citing a mismatch with skill-set & scheme is a football reason. I'm not going to imply that he manufactured that just because he hates the guy. I have no idea.

well....considering brady has literally played under at least 4 different schemes during his time here, Mo does not have a point. schemes are adjusted to address the strengths and weaknesses that your players have. to mention scheme without supporting it is meaningless......the only possible gripe at this point about mallett that anyone can infer is personal and that had to do with something years ago while changing schools and waiting to play football again. the fact is that he was every bit as effective in the same conference, playing the same teams as the number 1 pick in the ENTIRE DRAFT. does it translate to the NFL? note necessarily, but it is a hell of alot more meaningful information than anything Mo has produced. His failure to produce a single tangible detail in regards to the scheme mismatch makes it even more pointless.

I know many want to live in brady's underwear for the rest of their lives, but it ain't gonna happen......you're going to have to get out soon

Because he had a child out of wedlock?

sure......that is surely something I would tell my kids to avoid. it's not like he should get any points for that.

he is charismatic......I will give you that

I'd rather be caught smoking dope in college

Last edited:
well....considering brady has literally played under at least 4 different schemes during his time here,

Wrong. The Pats scheme is the same. They've just expanded the playbook and added plays. BB has NOT implemented 4 different schemes in 13 years.

Mo does not have a point. schemes are adjusted to address the strengths and weaknesses that your players have. to mention scheme without supporting it is meaningless......the only possible gripe at this point about mallett that anyone can infer is personal and that had to do with something years ago while changing schools and waiting to play football again. the fact is that he was every bit as effective in the same conference, playing the same teams as the number 1 pick in the ENTIRE DRAFT. does it translate to the NFL? note necessarily, but it is a hell of alot more meaningful information than anything Mo has produced. His failure to produce a single tangible detail in regards to the scheme mismatch makes it even more pointless.

I know many want to live in brady's underwear for the rest of their lives, but it ain't gonna happen......you're going to have to get out soon

I'll let Mo defend himself here but I recall him basically saying Mallett was about the same kind of scheme mismatch as Rohan Davey was (slow arm motion, etc.)

sure......that is surely something I would tell my kids to avoid. it's not like he should get any points for that.

he is charismatic......I will give you that

I'd rather be caught smoking dope in college

You're being a bit harsh IMO.

Having a child out of wedlock, being a dead-beat dad and alienating your child is a personal skeleton

Having a child out of wedlock and being a great dad is not.

Last edited:
If I am looking at a person to hire to play football on Sundays, I don't have as much concern about every aspect of his personal life being something I want my kids to emulate as some would, apparently.

I am seeking a football player, not the leader of a Cub scout pack.

Matter of fact, said football player can sacrifice goats, be a conspiracy theorist, have a crush on Nancy Grace, or some other idiocy, as long as it don't affect gameday preparation.

Reiss linking to article about Mallett from Arkansas sports blog:

QB Ryan Mallett on life as a Patriot - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Life as a backup quarterback to Tom Brady in New England. "Going to the Super Bowl was a learning experience. It showed me how much work you have to put in to get there. I had one of the best guys in the world in front of me [Tom Brady] to learn from. So I’m soaking up as much as I can. When my number is called I’ll be ready. I learned a lot. I’m learning even more now. We’ve got a new offensive coordinator, but the same system. This past year was a grind. You learn to go to work every day. It’s not like college where you have class and other things to work around to get to football. It’s all football every day."

From the article:

Bahn: Ryan Mallett Learning With Patriots, Wants 'Multiple' Super Bowls As QB Starter - ArkansasSports360.com

So is the arm even stronger now? Has your velocity improved? That was the talk after you threw to J-Wright and those guys at Pro Day.

I don’t know if it’s stronger. People that don’t see me every day, there is probably a little bit of an awe factor. Like I’ve told you before, that’s not the only thing I want to be known for. My knowledge of the game, my knowledge of defenses is what I want to go down for. I want to be a player that goes to multiple Super Bowls. I want to be known as a leader.

People don’t understand I know the game. It’s what I do. As a quarterback you have to know the game. Well, not all of them do [laughing], but I know the game. And I'm learning more all the time.

Lots more good stuff at the link sound like the kid gets it.

Last edited:
You're being a bit harsh IMO.

Having a child out of wedlock, being a dead-beat dad and alienating your child is a personal skeleton

Having a child out of wedlock and being a great dad is not.

so you KNOW he is a great dad or is this just an assumption you are making?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back