Status
Not open for further replies.

reflexblue

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:
Wel at LEAST BB thinks LOMO is ready.
Patriots back Laurence Maroney has been solid in training camp and looks to stay healthy - MassLive.com

"I think Laurence has had a real good offseason," Belichick said. "Unfortunately, he got an early start to it and rehabbed during the latter part of the season last year and was an early participant in the offseason program. He's worked very hard in the passing game."

"I think he's had a productive camp," Belichick said. "I think he's ready to go."

Sounds like a ringing endorsement as long as BB didn't finish that last sentence with "to see a sports psychologist."
I hope they mix it up well with Taylor/Sammy/Faulk/Maroney to keep them all fresh come December/January.

We heard this last year too. Running hard, looking great, locked in for a career season...

Could mean "will trade for nice bike and helmet" too. But I think he means it. LoMo, if he goes uninjured, will have a good season, esp. keeping fresh with a stable of solid backs.

Bill Belichick has no clue what he is talking about. Maroney is made of glass. :cool:

We heard this last year too. Running hard, looking great, locked in for a career season...

and who knows what he would have done if he didn't break a bone in his shoulder.:rolleyes:

Bottom line in my mind is that when he is healthy he has performed really well. He was good as rookie had a few tough years with injury but at the end of 07 he was looking like he was going to be a really good back for us finishing the regular season strong and having a nice playoffs. Last year was lost. He looks good in camp though I find RB the toughest position to guage in camp because of the lack of contact.

Lastly the important thing is the RB position is deep so we don't have to worry about his health and we can focus on his skills which are good. I suspect good things from Maroney this year if the injuries continue so be it more reps for Taylor and Morris and Faulk despite anything will lead the RB group in touches (not just carries but touches). RB position is a strength on this team.

Patriots back Laurence Maroney has been solid in training camp and looks to stay healthy - MassLive.com

"I think Laurence has had a real good offseason," Belichick said. "Unfortunately, he got an early start to it and rehabbed during the latter part of the season last year and was an early participant in the offseason program. He's worked very hard in the passing game."

"I think he's had a productive camp," Belichick said. "I think he's ready to go."

And you believe him?

When is the last time Belichick said "Well that guy on my team really sucked bad in preseason" - Like this is noteworthy news guys?,Give me a break

well that does it for me. Now i know Bill has lost his mind. He couldnt possibly know more than us about Maroneys abilities :rolleyes:

(I would like to see someone open a hole for him, unlike last week)

I like hearing that he has worked on the passing game - that honestly might be the thing that makes or breaks his career with the pats - regardless of what side you are on in the maroney debate, its impossible not to note that 1.) Defenses pretty much know that when lomo is in the game, he's running, and they wait for it. and 2.) when maroney gets the ball in the open field with some space, he's nothing short of electric.

if he's improved enough in the passing game to take some snaps away from faulk/morris, this could be a big year for him

What's he averaging, career, now? Something over 4.5 ypc as I recall.

Oh yeah but he's hurt a lot.

It looks to me like the Maroney verdict (barring some breakout season) is that Maroney is good when healthy (nobody likes his dance-too-much style, but evidently it yields acceptable dividends on average.) Can you count on him for short yardage, must-pick-up-the-yards plays (i.e., 3rd and 1?) My guess is the number back up the impression: No.

When life gives you AIDS, make lemonade, as Sarah Silverman put it. Maroney is not a franchise back, barring some huge jump in his production/sudden turn to lasting good health.

Maybe his physical makeup is just plain more fragile than the norm. Maybe he can't play with pain. Maybe it's bad luck. Maybe it's running style. But what we've seen thus far is, he's not the devil and he's not Jim Brown. He's a guy who can play a role... 1st or 2nd down (preferably), where the yardage isn't must-get. He's got a supporting cast that can handle other situations.

I think everybody in Foxborough wants him to develop into that every-down guy, but we haven't seen it yet. What did Einstein say about engaging in the same behavior and expecting different results? ;)

All that to say, I'll believe it when I see it, in-season.

But by the way - you don't just throw away a guy posting 4.5 ypc, not without thinking real hard first.

Based on what happened in the past, I will curb my enthusiasm and wait for it to happen. But the quote about "passing game" is interesting !

Maroney's biggest problem is the expectations we had of him as a first round pick with a lot of hype. The numbers tell us that he's generally a good back who can also give you very good games but who has a history of not playing through the season because of injury. He's not Adrian Peterson. He's not Curtis Martin. But he's by no means a bust.

Are those who continually express disappointment out here because he's not Peterson, right to be disappointed? Of course, they are. It comes with the first round territory and Maroney should expect no other reaction. Are they also correct to write the guy off, dismiss him as "glass" and "dancer" and call for his head? No, not at all. I think they're transforming the disappointment (that we all feel) that he isn't what we hoped he was into a gut reaction that's just unfair, based on the stats and his performance when healthy.

Tell me about it. He did the samething with brady.said he is fine but could not play for more than 20 snaps.

heads need to roll.

Funny how Maroney is getting more attention than a returning TFB on this forum. Too funny

I think people are making too much of the first game. Maroney could continue to struggle in the preseason, but it could be that the Pats faced a really good defense and they couldn't open the holes for Maroney against the first defense. We really should wait and see before we write off the guy.

BTW, most of us were trashing Cassel throughout the entire preseason (myself included) and we turned out to be way wrong. Maybe Belichick sees things that we don't. I'll trust his opinion on Maroney more than anyone on this board (myself included again). If Belichick is high on Maroney, I will take his word until he is proven wrong.

Maroney's biggest problem is the expectations we had of him as a first round pick with a lot of hype. The numbers tell us that he's generally a good back who can also give you very good games but who has a history of not playing through the season because of injury. He's not Adrian Peterson. He's not Curtis Martin. But he's by no means a bust.

Are those who continually express disappointment out here because he's not Peterson, right to be disappointed? Of course, they are. It comes with the first round territory and Maroney should expect no other reaction. Are they also correct to write the guy off, dismiss him as "glass" and "dancer" and call for his head? No, not at all. I think they're transforming the disappointment (that we all feel) that he isn't what we hoped he was into a gut reaction that's just unfair, based on the stats and his performance when healthy.

I think this is a case with a lot of players. Expectations really can play a huge part of how people view a player. The most famous Patriots example is Drew Bledsoe. After his first two seasons, everyone expected him to be the the next Marino. Unfortunately, he turned out to be an above average QB which meant that a large part of Patriots Nation looked at him as a huge bust and a bum. Even a guy like Reche Caldwell who came in as a third WR, but because of circumstance was thrusted into the #1 WR role and played valiently as a player who was thrown into a position that was over his head, but was trashed because he wasn't at least an above average primary WR.

Maroney's biggest problem is the expectations we had of him as a first round pick with a lot of hype.
Great point, Maroney was living up to those expectations until he got hurt around the tenth game in his first season. To me he hasn't looked the same since. On the other hand i'm in agreement with others who say that when LOMO gets the ball there seems to be someone in the backfield ready to make the tackle. Also like others have said when LOMO goes in the D Knows hes going to run, maybe incorporating short passes to him will losen up the defense and allow more running room.

He also has an upright running style similar to Erick ****ersons, maybe LOMO should wear the same amount of body armour ****erson wore.

I just don't get the Hate towards him that is generated on this board, people seem to enjoy trashing him.

Last edited:
Maybe Belichick sees things that we don't.
You're joking, right? I watch NFL Live, Rome, ATH, PTI, SC, NFL Total Access, Comcast Sports (both early and late), and NESN Sports desk every night.

You can't tell me BB does that.

BB should read this forum and learn something.

Maroney's biggest problem is the expectations we had of him as a first round pick with a lot of hype.
Of course, one could say that our expectations are OUR biggest problem, not his.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes