PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots ask for permission to speak with Josh McDaniels

Status
Not open for further replies.

MP-Logick

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Ian R. Rapoport @RapSheet
Well, this should be interesting. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch says Pats asked permission to speak with McDaniels bit.ly/z2pABH

Hmm.......

I don't know that BB has many options at this point. McD's results in Denver were ambiguous - some folks say his drafting was good albeit they said it after he was canned. He didn't do much in St. Louis - not sure if that's his fault or if it's a talent problem. I tend to think Brady can make any offensive coordinator look good. I always wondered if a former player - maybe a Steve Grogan type - would be a good option.

I think my main skepticism with McDaniels would be: would he be gone again within two years?

1. so BB does not trust another person on staff to be the OC, even in a limited role

or

2. BB wants to focus on the defense (deservedly so) and wants another person to take off some of his duties as OC, so that he can function is HC, but also as a DC to some extent

either way this is the first time i recall the pats going out of their way to bring BACK a coordinator that has left, obviously wasnt going to be done with Mangini, but it was not happening with Romeo or Weis???

whatever it is, its obvious that BB has extreme trust in Josh....i would even go so far as to say that BB wants him back so that when he retires, Josh can take over the program

So here are the pieces to the puzzle right now:

1. BOB is gone for next year.
2. McDaniels is under contract with the Rams.

[Everything under this is just a report]
3. Jeff Fisher is the favorite to be the Rams' next head coach.
4. Fisher would not keep McDaniels.
5. The Patriots have asked for permission to talk with McDaniels
6. The Patriots really like Brian Ferentz (TE coach) as a future OC candidate, but he's not ready.
7. McDaniels wants to go somewhere temporarily with the goal of another shot at being a HC.

3-5 seem to confirm that the Pats are interested, and 6-7 are why it makes a ton of sense. Oh yeah, and Brandon Lloyd said he's going wherever McDaniels goes. Had some attitude problems that got him kicked out of Denver, but he absolutely adores McDaniels.

Two years seems almost ideal for McDaniels. He can rehab his league image, get a ring or two in the process, and then pass the torch to Ferentz when he finds a job somewhere else.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, and Brandon Lloyd said he's going wherever McDaniels goes. Had some attitude problems that got him kicked out of Denver, but he absolutely adores McDaniels.

He may want to...but he would also probably have to take less money and learn a very complicated offensive system to do so.

He may want to...but he would also probably have to take less money and learn a very complicated offensive system to do so.

He'd do it. He loves McDaniels, and in the link below, the only reference to money is that he wants to earn his pay. And unlike Ochocinco, he's had a taste of a more complex McDaniels offense, although I'm sure it wasn't nearly as complex with Orton, Bradford, and various backups as it is with Brady.

Maybe the bigger question is if Belichick and Brady would do it, as they're both kind of attached to a different WR on the roster (Ochocinco for Belichick, Branch for Brady).

Last edited:
i thought his offensive gameplan in your giants pats sb was ******ed but good enough to win, and he's smart and knows your system. this seems like a no brainer.

wouldnt be surprised if they make him assistant head coach and he takes over for belichik if he has good success that is.

he's a ****y little ******* though, not subtle at all

6. The Patriots really like Brian Ferentz (TE coach) as a future OC candidate, but he's not ready.
7. McDaniels wants to go somewhere temporarily with the goal of another shot at being a HC.

3-5 seem to confirm that the Pats are interested, and 6-7 are why it makes a ton of sense. Oh yeah, and Brandon Lloyd said he's going wherever McDaniels goes. Had some attitude problems that got him kicked out of Denver, but he absolutely adores McDaniels.

Two years seems almost ideal for McDaniels. He can rehab his league image, get a ring or two in the process, and then pass the torch to Ferentz when he finds a job somewhere else.

Just what I was thinking. You beat me to it!

Patriots Seeking Permission To Speak with McDaniels?

Patriots Seeking Permission To Speak with McDaniels?
By: Damien Jarrett

Are the Patriots trying to speak to Josh McDaniels? Damien Jarrett explores the possibility........

McDaniels has failed in two straight jobs after leaving the Pats. He needs success a lot more than he needs to not be in BB's shadow.

Also, he'll never get another head coaching job unless, in the interviews, he can explain what he'll do differently than he did the first time. Working a second time for BB could help him when the time comes to spin that story.

whatever it is, its obvious that BB has extreme trust in Josh....i would even go so far as to say that BB wants him back so that when he retires, Josh can take over the program

Interesting point. Since everyone should expect to be completely in the dark about when BB will retire until the moment he actually retires, fans are left to try to interpret signs. The only sign that bears watching is when a well established/well known coordinator joins the Patriots and stays with the Patriots while spurning other HC offers. I think it would be fair to believe BB is speaking of retirement if that happens.

Meanwhile...at this very moment,somewhere in Arizona someone is trying to persuade NEM to get off the roof as he is threatening to jump.

I've got to hand it to you Sciz, you called it like Babe Ruth buddy :rocker:

McDaniels has failed in two straight jobs after leaving the Pats. He needs success a lot more than he needs to not be in BB's shadow.

Also, he'll never get another head coaching job unless, in the interviews, he can explain what he'll do differently than he did the first time. Working a second time for BB could help him when the time comes to spin that story.

this is an example of "he who controls the media, controls the world."

Over/under on flea flickers next year?

Interesting point. Since everyone should expect to be completely in the dark about when BB will retire until the moment he actually retires, fans are left to try to interpret signs. The only sign that bears watching is when a well established/well known coordinator joins the Patriots and stays with the Patriots while spurning other HC offers. I think it would be fair to believe BB is speaking of retirement if that happens.

While your theory is certainly a very fair and intelligent point that makes a lot of sense, the thought alone of life without Belichick turns my stomach...

I've honestly give anything for 10 more yrs of Belichick at the helm.

On top of that, I love JMcD as a potential returning OC, but I'm not sure if I'd necessarily want him replacing Bill Belichick.

Then again, I'm not exactly sure who I would want..:eek:

I like this. When Josh was here, BB spent more time with the D. I think we can all agree, BB spending more time with the D would be a good thing :D

Meanwhile...at this very moment,somewhere in Arizona someone is trying to persuade NEM to get off the roof as he is threatening to jump.

He never liked any of the OCs. He probably jumped for joy when he heard BOB was leaving, only to have his dreams shattered by the possibility of Josh coming back :D

While your theory is certainly a very fair and intelligent point that makes a lot of sense, the thought alone of life without Belichick turns my stomach...

I've honestly give anything for 10 more yrs of Belichick at the helm.

On top of that, I love JMcD as a potential returning OC, but I'm not sure if I'd necessarily want him replacing Bill Belichick.

Then again, I'm not exactly sure who I would want..:eek:

whoever replaces hoodie is screwed .. the expectations will be out of this world..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back