Status
Not open for further replies.

fumbrunner

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Via twitter

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 2m
Patriots are signing WR Michael Jenkins

Solid depth signing. Hardly going to set the world alight.

Well, there's the tall WR that people have been begging for. Could be a solid #3 or not make the team. Hard to tell at this point.

Well, there's the tall WR that people have been begging for. Could be a solid #3 or not make the team. Hard to tell at this point.

Yep 6' 4". 214lbs. Hasn't really produced a ton. I hope they are still in the market for one more WR and target at least one early pick on one as well.

His production never = his ability. At one point I thought he'd break through to have a couple of good years like Sidney Rice did, but it never happened.

He'll probably be gone b4 Sept, nothing to get excited about.

I love this signing. Sure, he is probably camp fodder, but he has size, he has size and experience. I've followed Mr. Jenkins career and it has been marred by inconsistency and poor quarterback play. Sure, he may have been part of the reason for poor QB play, and his hands have been questionable at times...but, did I mention that I like his size?

Tough player to really evaluate. Will be interesting to see how he does with an actual, decent QB.

He is coming off of a torn meniscus and apparently wasn't considered a field-stretching receiver prior to the injury.

Meh.......

The 30-year-old Jenkins can’t really run, and caught 40 passes last season for the Vikings, who weren’t exactly overburdened with depth at his position. He has size and good hands, but lacks the ability to get open.

It’s doubtful Jenkins got much beyond the minimum to sign, which makes it a free look at a moderately productive veteran.

From PFT's site

Gotta suck when your tight ends are faster than your wide receiver. Hope this doesn't close the book on Sanders and/or drafting a receiver high in the draft.

Anyone hoping he's the tall vertical speed receiver we've all been clamoring for is going to be greatly disappointed. He may have the height/weight but tortoise like speed for a WR. They don't call him "Molasses Mike" for nothing.

Jenkins at this point is likely just camp fodder and probably won't make the opening day roster. The wave of Pats' veteran purge of washed up WRs has begun.

Gotta suck when your tight ends are faster than your wide receiver. Hope this doesn't close the book on Sanders and/or drafting a receiver high in the draft.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict it won't.

"Patriots signed WR Michael Jenkins, formerly of the Vikings.
Jenkins, 31 in June, caught 40 passes for 449 yards and two touchdowns last season, appearing in all 16 games. "Molasses Mike" was released by the Vikings more than three weeks ago, and didn't draw an ounce of known interest before signing with New England. The deal is likely for the veteran's minimum, and it isn't a guarantee that he'll make the team out of training camp. Jenkins can block, but he can no longer generate any separation from defensive backs."

He is coming off of a torn meniscus and apparently wasn't considered a field-stretching receiver prior to the injury.

He came off of having a torn meniscus this past season and played the whole season.

If a player had an injury in 2011 and played every game in 2012 I don't really consider that coming off an injury.

Will not make the opening day roster.

He's tall. And...well, he's tall.

Camp fodder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes