PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots are putting together a trade package to get A.J. Hawk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feep_FLA

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
My gut tell me the Pats FO is putting a trade package together to get A.J.Hawk. I think they would have to move up to Oaklands pick to do that. Wouldn't we all freak if they pulled off a move like that? I know I would. Hello defense of the future! :rocker:

No they aren't, it would just cost too much especially with a good set of LB in this year's draft.

Hey..... Its 30 days before the draft. I can dream! :rocker:

Hawk would be an awesome pick for us. He is so instinctive, it's scary. On film, sometimes he's made three steps before Carpenter has figured out the ball's been snapped. In our defense, I'd move Hawk inside and just watch him make tons of plays. With Bruschi calling out the opposing team's plays ahead of time, Hawk's learning curve would be diminished somewhat. He's very good at shedding blockers with his hands. Speed, lateral movement, tackling. What else could we want. It's a dream, but well worth it in my book.

See! I'm not the only one with a dream. Thanks Ockmed! I guess we'd have to move up to #5 to get him. Yikes! :rocker:

A very big jump would be needed. A very expensive jump I might add.

He would be a great addition to the defense - you put him inside, Vrabel moves back outside to take Willie's old spot. I'm just concerned about how much he'd cost to move up, considering I still think (even with Guss Scott back in the fold) you need secondary and wr help that could be addressed in later rounds if we keep those picks.

Justice said:
I'm just concerned about how much he'd cost to move up
It would cost, IMO, our #1 this year and next and our #2 this year. It's not happening. And the subject to this thread should be changed, btw.

BelichickFan said:
It would cost, IMO, our #1 this year and next and our #2 this year.
At least. I was thinking we would probably have to throw in something like a 4th or 5th rounder as well (which is the round where I have my eye on my man Stovall). That's why, as good as I think he'd be, that's too high a price tag for Hawk.

We need to start a ruckus! Hey Pats FO..... WE WANT HAWK! WE WANT HAWK!

Ochmed Jones said:
Hawk would be an awesome pick for us. He is so instinctive, it's scary. On film, sometimes he's made three steps before Carpenter has figured out the ball's been snapped. In our defense, I'd move Hawk inside and just watch him make tons of plays. With Bruschi calling out the opposing team's plays ahead of time, Hawk's learning curve would be diminished somewhat. He's very good at shedding blockers with his hands. Speed, lateral movement, tackling. What else could we want. It's a dream, but well worth it in my book.

What film are you speaking of? Are you a pro scout or are you talking about highlight videos available on the Internet because that's not really "film."

Feep_FLA said:
I feel like I'm on a Browns board, they have about 5 of those threads a day :) In fact, on one they made a pinned "We Want Hawk" thread and banned all other Hawk threads :D

Last edited:
getting A.J Hawk would be amazing!!

Feep_FLA said:
Uhhh.... I don't.

This draft is very deep with LBs. I'd much rather keep all the picks we'd have to give up to get Hawk, and instead grab Carpenter (or perhaps Lawson) in round 1, Joseph Addai or Richard Marshall in round 2, etc. and one or more DE/OLB tweeners on day 2.

I like Carpenter too, Big Mike...... I'm just bored and want to rant a bit. Carpenter represents the best value I believe. Doesn't mean I can't holler for Hawk! :rocker:

Feep_FLA said:
My gut tell me the Pats FO is putting a trade package together to get A.J.Hawk. I think they would have to move up to Oaklands pick to do that. Wouldn't we all freak if they pulled off a move like that? I know I would. Hello defense of the future! :rocker:
:rofl:

BelichickFan said:
It would cost, IMO, our #1 this year and next and our #2 this year. It's not happening. And the subject to this thread should be changed, btw.
Don't be silly, we will be trading Seymour for #5, their second next year, and the rights to Walker - that will trump Denver. :rolleyes:

Trading Seymore

Actually, the senario where the Pats trade Seymore may come to fruition. On the one hand, the team really stumbled when he was hurt last year trying to cross-train to the fullback position. His absence dispelled any doubt as to Richard's true value to the defense. He's the mainstay. However, if BB waits until his contract is up next year, he won't be able to match the dollars Seymore will command in salary and signing bonus. If Mario Williams gets a 18-20 million signing bonus as the #2 or #4 overall pick, what's a still young Richard Seymore who has proven himself as (perhaps) the best DE in the NFL going to get as a free agent? Since they can't sign him to a new contract until August at the earliest, he may just decide to play the year and cash in after the season. I think an important point to make is, the success of the Pats (3 out of 4 superbowls) is (ironically) becoming a double edge sword. Players like Seymore, Deion Branch, and Adam to name a few, have already won multiple superbowls. Most players just dream of reaching the final game once in their career. I'm not suggesting they don't want to win another one, but at this point they have to be thinking a great deal more about getting paid first. So, if they have to leave the Pats and cash in elsewhere, I have to believe they'll do it. BB's actions this off-season (hoarding cap money) may indicate he wants to have enough cash to extend Branch and Seymore long-term. However, if Branch and Seymore have good seasons, BB may not want to pay the price in the end. So, the question is, what else is rolling around in his head? I can't believe he'll trade Branch, but I can forsee him trading Seymore before the draft. Maybe to the Jets (who lost Abraham) or the Saints, who really need a great DE. The Pats could be thinking Mario Williams (DE) or D'Brickashaw (LT). Even though they would get big signing bonus money, they would be locked up for 6 years as first round picks. If you extrapolate, the cap hit would be less than extending Seymore for the money it would cost. Also, the Pats could get an additional 3rd rounder this year for Seymore. If you really want to dream, imagine the Pats trading Seymore to the Saints and then giving the Jets enough 2007 picks and taking their 1st pick this year. They could get Mario Williams and D'Brickashaw. With 20 million in cap space, they could afford to sign all 3 #1's and they would have all 3 for the next 6 years. I realize these are only my musings, but since Bob Kraft spends to the cap limit every year, it would explain why BB is sitting on all that money and not signing any expensive FA's. Just my delusional ramblings.

Uh, why would a team trade their high first round pick for Seymour, with his existing contract only having one more year on it? He then becomes a FA after one year, and they could lose him. That would be real bright - give up a high #1 to get him for one year? Since the Pats can't renegotiate his contract until August, they'd be trading him with the existing contract.

big mike said:
Uh, why would a team trade their high first round pick for Seymour, with his existing contract only having one more year on it? He then becomes a FA after one year, and they could lose him. That would be real bright - give up a high #1 to get him for one year? Since the Pats can't renegotiate his contract until August, they'd be trading him with the existing contract.
Because Seymour is a proven stud. All you have to do is look back at the past 5, 10, 20 drafts and those taken in the top ten to know the success rate of those players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back