PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots are in playoffs trouble after this loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats have lost 2 of their last 3 in games they should have taken, save for some untimely execution errors. When they play at Miami and host both Pittsburgh and Arizona, those are three teams that they will lose to if they make the same types of errors. I believe they have more margin of error against Seattle, Oakland and Buffalo, but not much more; Actually, only Oakland looks like a fairly easy win even if the Pats are a bit off.

4-2 the rest of the way is possible and it should get them in as the 6th seed at worst, but it's going to be a dogfight for those 4 wins. The dogfight starts in Miami.

Regards,
Chris

Okay assume worst case scenario - Jets and Colts keep winning, Jets get AFCE and Colts get the 5th seed, only the 6th seed is available.

If we go 4-2, the only teams that can realistically challenge us for that spot are San Diego (4-5), Jax (4-5), Buffalo (5-4), Miami (5-4), Baltimore (6-3). Baltimore still has Pittsburgh and the whole NFC east left on their schedule, hard to see them finishing any better than 9-7. SD has Indy, PIttsburgh, and ATL so I project no better than 9-7. Jax has Tenn, Indy, Minny, Chi, GB so I project them no better than 9-7. If we beat Buffalo we own the H2H tiebreaker over them, and I think it's safe to say they finish no better than 10-6. Miami is the one that could be a problem even if we beat them. They would still have to lose 2 additional games besides us to be worse than 10-6. We DON'T want to be tied with Miami at 10-6 unless one of our 2 losses would be to an NFC team since they have a better AFC record than us.

Last edited:
10-6 might not be enough to make the playoffs this year. It may come down to tiebreakers, and I dont think we are looking good in that category. Indy, NYJ, and SD have the tiebreakers head to head against us. I think we only have tiebreaker over Denver

I don't think there's ever been an 11-5 team that didn't make the playoffs, has there? So I really doubt that happens this year. That's the record we're realistically striving for.

But 10-6, especially if we lose any more AFC games - I think we'd be on the outside looking in this year. The only way we finish 10-6 and get in the playoffs is if we beat Mia-Pit-Oak-Buf, and lose to Sea-Ariz.

I don't think there's ever been an 11-5 team that didn't make the playoffs, has there? So I really doubt that happens this year. That's the record we're realistically striving for.
Not since there have been 6 teams per conference in the playoffs.
In 1985, Denver missed out at 11-5 as Miami won the East at 12-4 and both the Jets and Pats took the wildcards at 11-5 (3 division winners, 2 wildcards then).

Regards,
Chris

10-6 might not be enough to make the playoffs this year. It may come down to tiebreakers, and I dont think we are looking good in that category. Indy, NYJ, and SD have the tiebreakers head to head against us. I think we only have tiebreaker over Denver

If San Diego does not put an all out effort to upset the Steelers in Pittsburgh this week you won't have to worry about them

Indy, NYJ, and SD have the tiebreakers head to head against us. I think we only have tiebreaker over Denver

The Jets don't have a head-to-head tiebreaker against us.

This game was the Jets Super Bowl.

Thats about the 3rd Super Bowl that the Pats have played in this year

- Dolphins
- Chargers
- Jets

I disagree. I see Brett reverting to form and tossing TD's to the other team, and some of those remaining teams on the Jets schedule rising up to play spoiler.
I simply cannot see the Jets taking this division yet, because although they have won some games, they still are not USED to winning.
Brett will start taking chances, and when the pressure from the NY press piles on, he'll start making mistakes. Bank on it.

Love your thinking but I am worried about the Defense with all our injuries.

I disagree. I see Brett reverting to form and tossing TD's to the other team, and some of those remaining teams on the Jets schedule rising up to play spoiler.
I simply cannot see the Jets taking this division yet, because although they have won some games, they still are not USED to winning.
Brett will start taking chances, and when the pressure from the NY press piles on, he'll start making mistakes. Bank on it.

I can see the Patriots winning all the rest of there games. Besides the Giants who else has a better team then the Pats? The Titans? I think the Pats beat them.

i think brett will be oky as long as no team puts pressure on their o line.

man.. i have been saying this a lot lately...

LOTS OF FOOTBALL LEFT TO PLAY.

Nothing is decided yet.

The Colts are going to finish 10-6 or 11-5 which will get them in, they have tie breakers against the Pats and the Steelers and Ravens.

The Pats need to win their division and barring that they have to hope that the Ravens collapse, which I think is going to happen. The Ravens aren't very good and have a tough schedule coming up.

The Pats are probably going to finish around 10-6, which is iffy as far as a playoff spot. They still have to play Miami Pitt Arizona and Buffalo.

Unless the Pats win their division they're going to be fighting for that 6th seed.

The Colts are going to finish 10-6 or 11-5 which will get them in, they have tie breakers against the Pats and the Steelers and Ravens.

says who???? :)
lets play the games..

says who???? :)
lets play the games..

The Colts are playing pretty decently right now and have a relatively easy schedule. We'll "play the games" but the Colts have Houston, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati coming up, along with Jacksonville and SD. All those games are very winnable.

Then we get the rematch with Tenn and the Colts will win that. So we'll see.

After this week though the Colts will probably be ahead of the Pats and Baltimore. Pitt probably beats SD though, but they're proabably going to win that division so it doesn't really matter to the Colts.

The Colts are playing pretty decently right now and have a relatively easy schedule. We'll "play the games" but the Colts have Houston, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati coming up, along with Jacksonville and SD. All those games are very winnable.

Then we get the rematch with Tenn and the Colts will win that. So we'll see.

After this week though the Colts will probably be ahead of the Pats and Baltimore. Pitt probably beats SD though, but they're proabably going to win that division so it doesn't really matter to the Colts.

dont forget that if Tenn has lost a game by then, I'm sure the Colts will cash in on a "favor" that Tenn owes them from last year around the same time:rolleyes:

and even if we lose our next 6 and go 6-10, there will be a silver lining with a draft pick around 10 - which is the best place to draft - you avoid the huge money and still get stud....In reality, we will go 4-2, make playoffs and win AFC title game with Cassel going down for year with a knee late in fourth quarter and the rookie leading team to winning TD and suddenly being the Superbowl starter.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back