PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots are becoming too arrogant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacky Roberts

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Assuming there is no Moss deal, it seems to me that Belichick and the Patriots are becoming far too arrogant. This "we can win with anyone on our roster" thing is getting thin.

The bottom line is the Pats are winning because of Tom Brady and a strong defensive line. The fact they won Super Bowls with Antoine Smith as RB and defensive backs like Hank Poteat and Randall Gay have, in my opinion, tainted this team to think they dont need great athletes to win championships.

The fact that this team is so far under the cap, desperately needs a WR, and is willing to walk away from getting a big time receiver in Moss has me wondering if BB has started drinking his own Kool-Aid. They lose the russian roulette battle with Branch, can't get their rookie WR on the field, but yet, they appear to be doing nothing. What gives? Brady deserves better in my opinion.

I know. I would much rather have a team like Indy where they have no defense.

Or maybe a team that spends money to bring in great players like Washington.

Or maybe a team like Philly that has no running game.

Or maybe a team that has great WRs like Dallas, cause if you have WRs that guarantees victories. Why else do you think Detroit has been taking them for these past few years?

Or maybe a team like Baltimore that has a recent #1 WR, another very good one that NE wanted and a former rushing champ as well as MVP QB. That offense must be good.

Or we could cheer for a team like Denver that is willing to pay money for their WRs unlike NE who was too cheap to pay Walker his money. With their running game, that has the makings of a dominant offense.

OR we could just get on the bandwagon with all the people who said that Miami would take advantage of NE's arrogance and propel themselves to an AFCE crown. That is coming any day now, so we might as well sell high and buy low.

Give me a break.

Jacky Roberts said:
Assuming there is no Moss deal, it seems to me that Belichick and the Patriots are becoming far too arrogant. This "we can win with anyone on our roster" thing is getting thin.

The bottom line is the Pats are winning because of Tom Brady and a strong defensive line. The fact they won Super Bowls with Antoine Smith as RB and defensive backs like Hank Poteat and Randall Gay have, in my opinion, tainted this team to think they dont need great athletes to win championships.

The fact that this team is so far under the cap, desperately needs a WR, and is willing to walk away from getting a big time receiver in Moss has me wondering if BB has started drinking his own Kool-Aid. They lose the russian roulette battle with Branch, can't get their rookie WR on the field, but yet, they appear to be doing nothing. What gives? Brady deserves better in my opinion.

We've won 3 of the last 5 Super Bowls.

What is your argument? I'm confused.

Yeah it sucks to be 0-5 like us.....All their arrogance has made us a such a lossing team.

lets work out a trade and get rid of bills contract on a condition he sign with the raiders and send piolli as too as he sucks as well....

Last edited:
Jacky Roberts said:
The fact that this team is so far under the cap, desperately needs a WR, and is willing to walk away from getting a big time receiver in Moss has me wondering if BB has started drinking his own Kool-Aid.

How do you get that "willing to walk away" from the current reports that suggest that the Patriots did pursue Moss but Al Davis won't make a deal?

For anyone who was confused by my post Friday night, this is exactly what I was talking about!

Last edited:
"The fact they won Super Bowls with Antoine Smith as RB and defensive backs like Hank Poteat and Randall Gay have, in my opinion, tainted this team to think they dont need great athletes to win championships." --Jacky Roberts

Let me see if I understand this right. They won Super Bowls with Smith, Poteat and Gay and that has led them to think they can win Super Bowls without great athletes.

That's kind of like saying they rode their bicycle at 50 mph, which led them to believe they could ride their bicycle at 50 mph.

Well, yeah.

I understand what you mean MgColby, but if a man yearns to look foolish, it's hard to stop him.

Last edited:
patchick said:
How do you get that "willing to walk away" from the current reports that suggest that the Patriots did pursue Moss but Al Davis won't make a deal?

The reports don't even suggest that. They suggest that league sources thought it would be a good idea if we did persue him. :rolleyes:

And as for Jacky he should just go find himself another team. Maybe he should start rooting for the Redskins, a team who understands it's all about accumulating talent, baby! At least for fantasy football fans.

Mainefan said:
Let me see if I understand this right. They won Super Bowls with Smith, Poteat and Gay and that has led them to think they can win Super Bowls without great athletes.

That's kind of like saying they rode their bicycle at 50 mph, which led them to believe they could ride their bicycle at 50 mph.

Well, yeah.
maine fan with your permission i am stealing that for my sign:singing:

Be my guest.

I don't think they are arrogant at all. They are calculating. They know (like every other team should) that they cannot have the best player at every position, so they try to get guys at every position that they can win with. They try not to overpay for anyone as they are trying to have decent players everywhere. BB is a great coach, so some of his "okay" guys become great players under his tutilege and leave when the Pats don't pony up the top dollar. Obviously BB knows this will happen, so he keeps the guys he can (and is willing to pay top dollar for a few he knows he can't win without (Seymour & Brady)) and looks for more okay guys to come in when, inevitably, some of the guys who have become "great" leave. It is a calculated formula that has worked for him for some time. It is not arrogance. I am sure he sits there every year and wonders if he has the right guys in place to take him where he wants to go.

Frankly, I for one have not seen one credible shred of evidence the Pats have actually pursued Moss. Do we really want him? He has tremendous upside on the field, but tremendous downside off it (including the fact that he actually leaves the field during the game once in a while when he doesn't like what's happening on it). I don't think he'd fit in here and I don't think BB would want him under his calculated formula.

MoLewisrocks said:
Maybe he should start rooting for the Redskins, a team who understands it's all about accumulating talent, baby! At least for fantasy football fans.

Believe me, the Redskins players often suck for fantasy purposes as well. The only benefit I can glean from their ridiculous acquisitions is that it makes Snyder more money from a jersey-selling perspective.

As for the actual topic of this thread, it is a total waste of time.

Jacky Roberts said:

The view from your couch is astounding. Can you tell me what color underwear I'm wearing too?

Wow, that post is ignorant. Sorry to say it Jacky, but you totally lost me there. How about the $ they just shelled out to keep a core member of the team, Dan Koppen? Wouldn't arrogance be letting him go and having Hochstein or some practice squad guy take his place? Or let Seymour go and fill in Marquise Hill? What about all the other guys they signed or resigned? Matt Light, Corey Dillon, Tedy Bruschi, Tom Brady, Rosie Colvin, Mike Vrabel, etc, etc. These guys know who to keep to have a shot at a championship year in and year out. Its called cap management, and right now, they're the best in the league.

You're just ticked because Moss isn't coming to Foxboro. ;)

Lets See they win two SuperBowls with Smith and then upgraded the position with Dillon.

They won a Superbowl with Lawyer Milloy, but then signed Harrison!

They won a SuperBowl with Vrabel and Willie, but then signed Rosie!

They won a SuperBowl with Gay, but drafted Hobbs.

They won a SuperBowl with....Should I keep going? Because we haven't talked about the Line or Maroney!

What you confuse for Arrogance is simply the Patriots being patient and only pulling the trigger on deals that are in the best interest of the New England Patriots organization. They look to upgrade every position, but only if it makes sense and they also identify what is the bare minimum they believe they can win with at a each position. Is it an exact science? No, but it has produced 3 out the last 5 SuperBowls. What they don't do is just arbitrarily jump on every big name hoping he is better than what they have.

What I find arrogant is that some people on this board feel they know more about running an NFL franchise than BB and Pioli, the best in the business.

Last edited:
The definition of ironic: Jacky Roberts calling out someone else for being arrogant. :eek:

mgcolby said:
What I find arrogant is that some people on this board feel they know more about running an NFL franchise than BB and Pioli, the best in the business.

Yup, that's #1 on my list just ahead of some people on this board feeling they know more about offense and play calling than BB and Brady and any OC they trust to run this offense. :D

I hate teams which want to win every year and therefore don't make shortsighted deals which benefit themselves in the short-term but hurt longterm. That's so arrogant of them and makes it difficult for the teams which are biding their time waiting for the Pats to fail.

If you have no plans of rooting for the Pats beyong this year then feel free to piss and moan about how the team is mistreating you as a fan by not guaranteeing they win this year. I'll happily be cheering a championship caliber team for at least 5 more years and loving the fact that the team is wise and disciplined enough to maintain success.

I think the title of this thread should be changed to "some vocal Patriots fans are becoming too spoiled"

The NFL does not revolve around the Patriots. Not everything that happens in the league is contingent on whether or not the Patriots are willing to consummate a deal.

If the reports are accurate, Al Davis is the reason that a Moss to New England deal won't happen. Calling the Patriots organization "arrogant" is shallow and seems to be misplaced angst. Give our offense some more time to get on the same page. There's still 11 games to go. If it turns out that in week 10 or 11 that we're still talking about our passing game being out of sync, then we can dip a bit into the hyperbole jar. Now, however, is not the time to make such comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back