PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Approach Trojan Linebackers @ Senior Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Trio of talented Trojan LBs on display at Senior Bowl

"The linebacker group in this year's draft is a very solid group," Miami general manager Jeff Ireland said. "There's some depth there. It's a very solid group."

Every team at the top of the draft, starting with Detroit, which owns the No. 1 overall pick, could use help at linebacker. The Saints, Washington, Kansas City, New England and Baltimore approached Maualuga and Cushing after Tuesday's practice. The Atlanta Falcons and Tampa Bay Buccaneers also could be replenishing at least one outside linebacker spot.

South team coach Jack Del Rio of the Jacksonville Jaguars -– a USC product –- said he is very impressed with the group of linebackers his alma mater sent him, adding that Maualuga "could be something very special."

The infusion of linebacker talent couldn't come at a more convenient time, as linchpin mainstays like Zack Thomas, Ray Lewis, Keith Brooking, Tedy Bruschi, Mike Peterson and Derrick Brooks are winding down their careers. Mayo, Willis, Beason, Barrett Ruud, James Harrison, DeMarcus Ware, Woodley, Lofa Tatupu, Terrell Suggs and other upstarts have begun the transition, yet there never seems to be enough linebackers to complete the puzzle.

What makes this incoming group of linebackers special, besides their athletic gifts and physical nature, is their intelligence. Coaches at the Senior Bowl are throwing boatloads of information at them to see if they make the right calls on passing and run schemes, not only on the field but in the film room. If a linebacker can't figure those things out now, all his physical tools might not mean much.

It was interesting watching Maualuga getting pancaked in one on one drills at the Senior Bowl by a lanky looking TE that's supposed to struggle as a blocker. The same TE, Shawn Nelson, easliy handled him on an outside rush the next play.

Overrated LB.

It was interesting watching Maualuga getting pancaked in one on one drills at the Senior Bowl by a lanky looking TE that's supposed to struggle as a blocker. The same TE, Shawn Nelson, easliy handled him on an outside rush the next play.

Overrated LB.

I saw that. Nelson tooled him. He needs freedom to make plays and that is why I think we should pass on him.

Cushing would look great in this defense. I would be ten times more excited about getting him over Maualuga.

Can you guys list any defining plays by Cushing?
Not so much, but whenever I watched a USC game he always stood out setting the edge and in the pass rush. At the Senior Bowl he is getting good reviews for playing in coverage. The one big question that needs to be answered is how well he plays downhill as an off-the-LOS LB.

I don't care much for practice notes, i take Maualuga over Cushing 10 times out of 10 times. When it's game time and not an allstar practice Maualuga is the guy opposing offenses are thinking about, not Cushing, though he is also very good.

Albert Breer has a really good read on the new Linebacker U USC.

SportingNews.com - Your expert source for NFL Football stats, scores, standings, blogs and fantasy news from NFL Football columnists

anyway we can get all three :D either of them wear 55?
And now the rest of the story...
"I played with Duane Bickett, we were both All-Americans. We had two," said Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio, another ex-Trojan linebacker who is coaching the South squad this week. "I don't know that I've ever seen three players come out that are as heralded as this group, and we've had some good linebackers come through there."
-----
That probably explains why, as group, they're so much better than everyone else
Talented kids, but when evaluating them for the NE 3-4 I rank them Cushing, Matthews, Maualuga, Maeivi (and the latter would need to bulk up considerably - both he and Maualuga need to get better at stacking and shedding blockers).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots