PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots and Gronk agree to 6year/$54 Million Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't rip anything up. That remains the one thing they never do...(except for the one time they did it for Brady but he gave them one hell of a discount to).

That's why I qualified my phrase with "effectively". I understand that this is an extension and not a new deal, but the signing bonus effectively gives Gronk up front money now that he wouldn't have otherwise received.

The option bonus precludes them considering a renegotiation in 3-4. Maybe in 5-6, He will be getting another chunk of cash in 2014 in the form of the option bonus, probably double digits, and then higher base salaries the remainder of the way. The questions will arise as he approaches 28-29. Is he still wildly productive? If so they incrementally extend a couple of more years and he gets another bonus chunk.

Fair enough. I hadn't seen any terms of Gronk's contract when I posted that, so the 3-4 years was just a "guestimate". And I would certainly expect any upward revision of a contract to be part of an extension.

I guess this means the FO doesn't agree with Jermichael Finley's "Gronk has to show me something more" assessment.

NO it means they do agree, and are giving him 8 years to show it.

No time to read through the thread on account of I'm at work, so sorry if this is a repeat. But here's my thought: This is awesome for the Pats in part because, with the emergence of so many good TEs in the league, you can see a time in the not-too-distant future when TE salaries explode, kind of like WR salaries did this past off-season. This is great. Now we just need to see a healthy Gronk in a Super Bowl.

NO it means they do agree, and are giving him 8 years to show it.

It means he's showed him a lot but they want to see more...

Even Breer likes the deal, and he never likes anything we do anymore...

Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer

Also true RT @RossTuckerNFL Keep in mind on Gronk, people said he'd play 4 years max b/c of his back. New guar's after 2 years is smart biz.

7m Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer

... That said, Gronk did his deal 2 years early. Davis, Gates were w/1 yr left. Finley was up/franchised. Witten was also with 2 years left.

8m Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer

From what I gather, Gronkowski's average per year falls just shy of Vernon Davis and Jermichael Finley. Comparable with Witten and Gates ...

19m Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer

So in essence, Patriots got Gronkowski for eight years, with an option to get out after four, at a price of just under $7M per. Not bad.

23m Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer

There's also an option in Gronkowski's deal at the end of '15 that team will have to pick up to put the final 4 years of the deal in motion.

27m Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer

Rob Gronkowski's deal has an $8 million signing bonus, with $13 million guaranteed for skill, $18 million guaranteed for injury.

https://twitter.com/#!/AlbertBreer

Very good deal. If Gronk sees all 8 years, it is 8 years for about $55 million or $6.8 million a year. A bargain id he continues to be the best TE in the game over all or most of those years.

Considering the way he plays, that means he could end his career as a Patriot under this deal.

Yes, there likely is a large roster bonus in 2016 (usually due before March 1).

This would result in a large bonus now, 2012 and 2013 salaries unchanged, and new 2014 and 2015 salaries.

Alternatively, there could be 3 bonuses, one now, one before the 2014 season and one before the 2016 season.

Reading through the info, which is likely all coming from his agent, it looks like the real contract is a 2 year extension (4 year deal) with the Patriots having until late 2015 to kick in the real extension. With 18 million in guarantees it likely means you are looking at base salaries in 2014 and 2015 of $5 million each with 14 guaranteed for skill, injury, and cap and 2015 for just injury. If that is really how it plays out that is a fantastic deal for NE.

Last edited:
Bye Bye Welker.

The Patriots have extra money this year. They just used some of it to lock Gronk in while lowering what his cap hit down the road might otherwise have been. How does that mean "Bye bye Welker"?

Very good deal. If Gronk sees all 8 years, it is 8 years for about $55 million or $6.8 million a year. A bargain id he continues to be the best TE in the game over all or most of those years.

Considering the way he plays, that means he could end his career as a Patriot under this deal.

Provided he's healthy and durable and still a league leader and not adverse to a two year extension...'cause you know when this deal is over he's on the dreaded wrong side of 30 :eek:. Why, he'll be as old as that geezer Welker and we all know that's OLD.

Just tell me I'm reading this correctly. The Pats now have Gronk under contract for the next EIGHT years at $6.8MM/yr. That is a super deal for the Pats. There is no other way to put it. Can you image what a WR would get if he were capable of getting over 1200 passing yds and 18 TDs. You'd be looking at Fitgerald and Megatron money.

Well we just signed up one of the best mismatch player for $6.8MM/yr and protect ourselves somewhat from injury concerns. That's a STEAL.

BTW- not too bad for the Gronk who will make $8.5MM this season instead of $.5MM. Never underestimate the time value of money. With is next check from the Pats The Gronk is now "set for life"....if he wants to be.

As to Welker, he he doesn't agree to any deal that guarantees more than $16MM past the first 2 years, he will be playing his last season with the Pats. Personally I don't see the Pats signing him past this year. I think the money would be better spent on Hernandez, or his replacement.

Just tell me I'm reading this correctly. The Pats now have Gronk under contract for the next EIGHT years at $6.8MM/yr. That is a super deal for the Pats. There is no other way to put it. Can you image what a WR would get if he were capable of getting over 1200 passing yds and 18 TDs. You'd be looking at Fitgerald and Megatron money.

Well we just signed up one of the best mismatch player for $6.8MM/yr and protect ourselves somewhat from injury concerns. That's a STEAL.

BTW- not too bad for the Gronk who will make $8.5MM this season instead of $.5MM. Never underestimate the time value of money. With is next check from the Pats The Gronk is now "set for life"....if he wants to be.

As to Welker, he he doesn't agree to any deal that guarantees more than $16MM past the first 2 years, he will be playing his last season with the Pats. Personally I don't see the Pats signing him past this year. I think the money would be better spent on Hernandez, or his replacement.

No....

The Patriots signed their best tight end to a $9 million average per year extension that's partially guaranteed.

Last edited:

Yeah, but then again you foresaw it taking $10-12Mper to extend Gronk and another $8 to extend Hernandez...

The media spins a lot of foolishness, like Manning and Brady extensions averaging $25M... You have to learn to take their opining with a grain of salt and look at the situation and team and facts at hand.

Provided he's healthy and durable and still a league leader and not adverse to a two year extension...'cause you know when this deal is over he's on the dreaded wrong side of 30 :eek:. Why, he'll be as old as that geezer Welker and we all know that's OLD.

I think Gronk will be elite for most or all of his 20s, but the way he plays he is going to hit the age wall hard and young IMHO. The guy plays pretty recklessly.

He could very well play beyond this eight year deal, but I have a feeling he may be done around the time it expires. He plays much like Ben Coates did, who's last good year in the league was at age 29. He lasted two more years after that (only one with the Pats), but he was a shell of his former self.

No....

The Patriots signed their best tight end to a $9 million average per year extension that's partially guaranteed.

Actually ken has it right. Please defer from confusing him.

Actually ken has it right. Please defer from confusing him.

Actually, Ken doesn't have it right. The deal is what it is. There's difference between what the deal is and the accounting games that can be played with it.

You seem to be confused on this, as well.

I think Gronk will be elite for most or all of his 20s, but the way he plays he is going to hit the age wall hard and young IMHO. The guy plays pretty recklessly.

He may have to learn not to go for that extra yard in certain situations - which probably goes against his DNA. But other than that, he is amazingly built, so physically, he can withstand the beating.

The Patriots have extra money this year. They just used some of it to lock Gronk in while lowering what his cap hit down the road might otherwise have been. How does that mean "Bye bye Welker"?

Well, I don't think it's about money - I just don't think he's going to be here after this season.

I like Wes, he's been as solid a player for us as anyone, but I think Tom can turn a lot of receivers into a Wes Welker type of player - and I think Bill thinks that way too. I think Bill see's the evolution of the offense here with Tom and he's getting his pieces in line to extend Tom's career.

I agree they loosened up some money as you stated, but I think some of that will go to Hernandez.

All that being said, I would like to see him say - I just don't think it will happen.

Only if anything this makes extending Welker easier and more affordable.

More Affordable? No.

Do you mean there's more cap now and they can fit in a big contract for Welker now? Maybe. If he's a priority. I don't think he is.

How pissed off do you think Welker is right now that Gronk got his huge deal and Wes did not?

More Affordable? Not a freaking chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey