Votes: 29 39.7%
  • No (or Goodell will prevent this)

Votes: 42 57.5%
  • Soon

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to think of them more as New England's team. Who cares about the rest?

America's team was dubbed as the Cowboys years ago, although outdated, the term was made up for them so they can have it.

I like to think of them more as New England's team. Who cares about the rest?

America's team was dubbed as the Cowboys years ago, although outdated, the term was made up for them so they can have it.

Couldn't have said it any better, bud. I was coming to post the exact same thought.

In the age of Political correctness gone awry and we should get participation trophies, football is one of those last bastions where gladiators fight for glory. Football reaches into that core mammal brain of ours and relishes in the thrill of the fight.

For a society standpoint, it can't be America's team because people want greatness to be brought back to the middle of the pack so others won't feel inferior. I say the Patriots are what I want in America. People who excel because they come together for the purpose of team over individual. Fans should relish what they are witnessing and understand it may be a once in a generational opportunity.

Instead they take the east way out and try to bring them back to the middle.

We're playing the Bills this week

Tex Schram was a good GM...in the HOF, but owing that moniker AT was about as boneheaded as the succeeding GM. ;)

I disagree with you there. It got them what is the most important thing to the owners of this league, more money. Something that every billionaire really desperately needs.

No way. Too many people see them as cheaters nationally for them to become America's team. Maybe back in 2001 -2003 when they were scrappy underdogs they were America's team but they've been hated pretty much since they won back-to-back Super Bowls. Then Spy and Delflategates happened.

The best you're going to get from people other than from around here is grudging respect and that's about it.

No way. Too many people see them as cheaters nationally for them to become America's team. Maybe back in 2001 -2003 when they were scrappy underdogs they were America's team but they've been hated pretty much since they won back-to-back Super Bowls. Then Spy and Delflategates happened.

The best you're going to get from people other than from around here is grudging respect and that's about it.
Is there a greater compliment than grudging respect?

Is there a greater compliment than grudging respect?

Right but the Pats will never be "America's Team" like the Cowboys in the 90's or the Niners in the 80's. (I've never subscribed to the whole "America's Team" thing anyways....I'm an American and I hate the Cowboys, Giants, Niners....you name it).

Don't kill me, but the Pats have become the Yankees of the NFL. All conversations touch on them.
Well, Pats didn't simply buy a bunch of expensive free agents and you can't break the salary cap in the NFL. And, Pats are not a bunch of nimrods fawned over by local and national media and treated like royalty and think they're special because they come from New York. And we did exist and compete proudly for 33 years before some guy from St. Louis put us in disguises. For the vast majority of real Pats fans, winning is special but will never define us.

All that aside, I guess we're similar in that we've won more than anybody this century...and the Yankees, the last century.

Most people hate the Yankees because they suck. Most people hate the Patriots because the media tells them to; preventing them from appreciating and admiring their accomplishments, like they could the Steelers, Cowboys and 49ers, even by rivals, in past decades.

We always hated Dallas growing up.

I did not hate the Cowboys growing up... that was during the 1970's, with Roger Staubach and Tom Landry and a bunch of players I enjoyed and respected. Heck, once the Patriots were out of it, sometimes I'd root for them.

But that was before "America's Team". That phrase came about in 1979 (an NFL Films guy coined it while producing their 1978 highlight film). Please... if the country has ONE football team, and we play other countries, let's call THAT "America's Team". Until then, it's just marketing bullsh!t.

I can say with some certainty that the Cows fan base is starting to decline. Kids in my neighborhood more and more are wearing jerseys of the Rangers, Mavericks, Stars, other football teams. Stephen Jones has expressed concern their parents (over 50) might stop coming to games if they are not competitive. Jerrah last year made the ridiculous assertion the Cowboy are the #1 rated TV show - trying to put whipped cream on a cow chip (pun intended.) It's taken too long, but it's finally started and want Jones to unmistakably know fans will credit him for destroying the team in his final years. Cowboy fans tormenting Eagles fans they have not won any SBs but the Cows won five is also getting hollow when by now you can have a kid graduated from high school after they won the last SB. I enjoyed and respected them during Landry and Johnson, but again it's ancient history. A has-been is not America's Team!

Browns, Raiders, Colts - all were elite teams over many years that had runs giving them national followings and claims of being the best team in history. Not any more.

Keeping a title like America's Team is like the Stanley Cup - you have to earn it every year. At least be champions recently. The Steelers and Packers have done that (SB win) recently, but both their coaches have gotten heat - "what have you done for me lately?" While they are on the conversation, the Pats have been on arguably the longest sustained run in NFL history - I think it is. As time passes, the respect will increase.

Last edited:
No, he'd have 3 fewer...and the fact that he does hate him makes him ((Mara) a very special and rare type of jerkoff...
BB only won 2 as DC of NYG

As a kid in the 80s I HATED the 49ers and thats putting it mildly.

Reason: Pure jealously.

BB only won 2 as DC of NYG
I was specifically referring to the Buffalo SB defensive game plan which is the only one of its kind on display in the Football Hall of Fame. Parcells has said on multiple occasions that Belichick was more responsible for that win than anyone. That win plus the 2 Giants wins the OP referred to over NE equals 3. That was the basis for my post.

I was specifically referring to the Buffalo SB defensive game plan which is the only one of its kind on display in the Football Hall of Fame. Parcells has said on multiple occasions that Belichick was more responsible for that win than anyone. That win plus the 2 Giants wins the OP referred to over NE equals 3. That was the basis for my post.
I certainly hope the OP was referring to the ones he won BECAUSE of BB not inferring that he won the ones without BB because of BB, which would be a ridiculously stupid comment.

As a kid in the 80s I HATED the 49ers and thats putting it mildly.

Reason: Pure jealously.
Unlike the other NFC teams, I respected the Niners of the 80's. The team board wanted to trade Joe when he hurt his back but Eddie DeBartolo Jr. insisted they keep him, and they got 2 more SB wins. They're uniforms were classy and said, "This organization is serious about football, and about winning championships..." Only thing missing for us, from Brady era.
is
"Wow, I'm wearing my very own WFL jersey!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes