PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots agree to terms with ILB Eric Alexander on a one-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Patriots agreed to terms with ILB Eric Alexander on a one-year deal

No one says he'll make the team. At least he'll get a chance to compete for a spot.

Exactly. I personally think he's a waste of space, but there's not much risked by signing him to this kind of deal. It's insurance in case of injury or other losses, and worst case (or best case) he gets cut in training camp.

Yeah, nice, good deal, get's to compete for a spot.
I think Alexander is a better option at this point than Izzo, because he is probably 95% of the ST player Izzo is, and can play two or three downs on defense during the season without ruining the year.

That said, I hope the LB competition is so tough that it's a struggle for Alexander to make the team. Guyton can play the same ST role, and can rotate at ILB. Woods, Redd, and TBC can play a similar ST role, and can rotate at OLB.

If the season started today, a healthy Alexander is probably competing with TBC for the ninth LB and would be in the ILB rotation. If the Pats draft an ILB or target a free agent, Alexander may be lower than nine on the depth chart.

Pats usually keep nine linebackers.

My hopes:

Adalius Thomas
Mike Vrabel
Jerod Mayo
Gary Guyton
First round rookie OLB pass rusher
Pierre Woods
Ted Bruschi
Crable or Redd
New young ILB or Alexander or Izzo
=========
TBC, Ruud, udfa's

If we are tendering Woods, and expecting to keep him, I think that you will be disappointed with the future additions at linebacker. I think that

Vrabel, Thomas, Mayo, Woods
Guyton, Bruschi, Banta-Cain

would get all the defensive reps. This a good mix of youth and experience.

Seven linebackers is all that take reps, even if a couple of linebackers are injured. My bet is that in any given game, FIVE linebackers take over 90% of the reps.

Crable or Redd would be the developmental linebacker and
Alexander would be the special teamer, who might be considered an emergency linebacker.

While I agree that Belichick could draft a linebacker on Day One, perhaps even at 23, I don't expect it. I think we have ten linebackers that Belichick is comfortable having a roster spot plus Robertson and Craig for the Practice Squad.

In the end, having Banta-Cain and Crable as our #7 and #8 shows considerable depth.

Yeah, nice, good deal, get's to compete for a spot.
I think Alexander is a better option at this point than Izzo, because he is probably 95% of the ST player Izzo is, and can play two or three downs on defense during the season without ruining the year.

That said, I hope the LB competition is so tough that it's a struggle for Alexander to make the team. Guyton can play the same ST role, and can rotate at ILB. Woods, Redd, and TBC can play a similar ST role, and can rotate at OLB.

If the season started today, a healthy Alexander is probably competing with TBC for the ninth LB and would be in the ILB rotation. If the Pats draft an ILB or target a free agent, Alexander may be lower than nine on the depth chart.

Pats usually keep nine linebackers.

My hopes:

Adalius Thomas
Mike Vrabel
Jerod Mayo
Gary Guyton
First round rookie OLB pass rusher
Pierre Woods
Ted Bruschi
Crable or Redd
New young ILB or Alexander or Izzo
=========
TBC, Ruud, udfa's

Backup role players are necessary. Maybe Izzo will hang it up. Doesn't have anything to do with a need for talent infusion at LB though, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes