PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots agree to terms with DE Jonathan Fanene three year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
it says as much as anything you've spewed recently

I'm only going to spell this out for you once.

but i am tired of us going for these mid level guys as primary starters.

To which I replied:

Bobby Hamilton and Anthony Pleasant say hello.

...as those two were clearly mid-level acquisitions who ended up being key cogs on the 2001 championship team (putting aside the fact that no one knows whether Fanene will be starting or not, or whether he represents the extent to which the defensive line will be reinforced this offseason).

Then you chimed in with a bunch of extraneous pap:

along with richard seymour, ty warren, ted washington........hamilton and pleasant not only had it different with the guys around them, but they were also proven within the system

a little early to be dubbing fanene as one of those guys

...even though I wasn't dubbing Fanane one of "those guys," merely pointing out that mid-level FAs can pay sizable dividends when they work out.

So, in summation, you're apparently arguing for the sake of it, trying to contend a point I never made. Small wonder how you ever ended up on my ignore list.

Fanene??? :confused2:

Of the half dozen or so Bengal games or highlights from games I saw Fanene in he was either chasing the play with no hope of getting there or blocked out by one guy at the point of attack most of the time. Occasionally he makes a play because he managed to be in the right place, but not all that often. Usually you just see his fat ***** and stupid orange fro chasing the play. Ugh....

Of the half dozen or so Bengal games or highlights from games I saw Fanene in he was either chasing the play with no hope of getting there or blocked out by one guy at the point of attack most of the time. Occasionally he makes a play because he managed to be in the right place, but not all that often. Usually you just see his fat ***** and stupid orange fro chasing the play. Ugh....

Are you sure your not thinking of Domata Peko. Fanene is only 290lbs and isn't fat. Peko is 320lbs and also has an orange fro.

Glad BB knows the difference between Peko and Fanene :D

Last edited:
So, you've never seen him play, you have no idea what's he's capable of when he's lining up alongside an existing line that features perennial badass Big Vince, and you have no idea what he's being brought in to do.

Outside of that, very reasonable post.

Analysing the pats trend for years now we like to build our d lines from these mid level guys, so i agree i made an assumption it would be more of the same. If we invest in front-line help early in the draft i would be happy to be quite wrong. If its more of what we have been doing these past years expect more of the defense we have been getting no matter how badass Vince is.Repeating the same formula and expecting different results is madness

Are you sure your not thinking of Domata Peko. Peko [...] also has an orange fro.

orange-pekoe.jpg

:D

You're thinking of the wrong guy.

Analysing the pats trend for years now we like to build our d lines from these mid level guys, so i agree i made an assumption it would be more of the same. If we invest in front-line help early in the draft i would be happy to be quite wrong. If its more of what we have been doing these past years expect more of the defense we have been getting no matter how badass Vince is.Repeating the same formula and expecting different results is madness

I think the problem with drafting for the d-line, nowadays, is that too many teams play a two-gap 3-4. Seymour and Warren went #6 and #13 overall, respectively, and either one of them would go much higher if they were drafted today. Can't-miss guys with that kind of talent simply don't fall to where the Patriots are drafting anymore, so you have to grab projects with late-round flyers--which the Pats have done very well with, between Pryor, Love, and Deaderick--grab FAs, or draft the Ron Braces of the world.

I'm sure nobody would love to draft the next Richard Seymour more than Belichick, but it won't ever happen unless he's willing to pay a king's ransom to move up. Just look at what the #2 pick in this draft cost the Redskins, and remember that Ty Jackson went #3 overall a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
Red Bryant and Jonathan Fanene were my two biggest FA desires. I didn't think Seattle would pay Bryant as much as they did so I really wanted him but Fanene is an excellent consolation prize. Glad to see I'm finally understanding free agency through BB's eyes (just kidding).

Red Bryant and Jonathan Fanene were my two biggest FA desires. I didn't think Seattle would pay Bryant as much as they did so I really wanted him but Fanene is an excellent consolation prize. Glad to see I'm finally understanding free agency through BB's eyes (just kidding).
I was thinking more of the lines of Cory Redding, since he was younger than Shaun Ellis and Gerard Warren, yet not as expensive as Red Bryant.

By the way, as a public service announcement:

If you are not familiar with the player, his name is not "Fah-NEEN" which is not obvious from reading it. Nor "Fah-Nee-nee."

He's Samoan and it is "Fah-NAY-NAY."

By the way, as a public service announcement:

If you are not familiar with the player, his name is not "Fah-NEEN" which is not obvious from reading it. Nor "Fah-Nee-nee."

He's Samoan and it is "Fah-NAY-NAY."

O kay kay ;)

I like Cory Redding too but the difference in age between him and Warren and Ellis is only a year or two. With Fanene we get a pretty solid guy in his prime for the next three years. Like I said, I would have loved to have Red Bryant but Seattle just wouldn't let that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back