PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots agree to terms with DE Jonathan Fanene three year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be honest here. I have no freaking idea who this guy is but I've ready probably 4 different scouting reports on the guy in the last 30 minutes and they are all favorable. They go on to say that he has a great motor, plays the run well, quality charater and can get after the passer.

If he brings the same pass rush as Wright did and plays the run better, sounds like a pretty darn good signing to me.

Thanks alot man....I appreciate that insight....that is THREE more reports than I have read at this point. Have to tip the hat to BB....I am sure he will more than fit the void left by Wright!!! GO PATS!!!

ANYTHING is an upgrade to Ellis.....he's got no tread left on the tires and he's riding on the rims!!!!
Fanene's an upgrade to everyone on the interior DL except Wilfork. 12.5 sacks his last two seasons as an interior pass rusher is nothing to sneeze at.

He can also play as a heavy 4-3 DE on running downs. This is the kind of player the Patriots needed.

I think we'll see more additions to the DL as the year goes on.

Ian R. Rapoport ‏ @RapSheet
On Utah's starting D in 2004 was DT Sione Pouha, DE Jonathan Fanene & DB Eric Weddle. Coached by? Urban Meyer

Of course!

I had to look this guy up lol

Friend of mine who is a Bengals fan thinks this was a good signing for the Pats.

Sounds like a good move, a step in the right direction. An upgrade over what we had, whether he replaces Wright or Ellis.

One or two more signings of this type (not stars, just good solid players/upgrades) on the D, and life is gettin' better! :)

I feel vindicated - I think the most under rated aspect of last season's campaign was the loss of our 2 best interior pass rushers, when Wright and Pryor when down very early in the season. All along I have been saying that the Pats MOST pressing need was to improve the interior pass rush, either through the draft or FA....or both. Good to see that BB agrees with me, even if I've never heard of this guy. :D The name was totally unrecognizable. Which only goes to show that there are a lot of good football players who play in towns like Cleveland, and Jacksonville that rarely get seen.

2 more points - Like many have said, this guy looks like the Mike Wright replacement. The other point is I am saddened by the demise of Mike Wright's career. I think in 20010 he was on verge of breaking out and taking a first step in becoming a legitimate interior pass rusher in this league. Most of us have forgotten that Wright had 5.5 sacks in less than 7 games. That's a huge amount for a guy playing DL in BB's D. He might have developed into something special if not for the concussions.

Having Fanene and Pryor back giving the Pats some sudden pressure from this interior of the DL will have a similar positive effect on the defense as getting Chung and Spikes back at the end of the year.

Last edited:
Again, just about what Wright cost.
Wright was $2.8mm on the cap in 2011.
An affordable swap for Mike Wright.
Not really a swap but a dramatic improvement.
Wright could never play in the base, and only was out there is he was the only option. Fanene may be the best 2gap DE on our roster today (I know thats not saying a lot) and certainly figures to play in the base.
Both are good inside sub package pass rushers.
The biggest difference? Wright has been on the sidelines for most of the past 2 years, so he isn't replacing Wright, he is replacing Wrights replacement.

Typical Pats signing.

BB always has a plan.

I feel vindicated - I think the most under rated aspect of last season's campaign was the loss of our 2 best interior pass rushers, when Wright and Pryor when down very early in the season. All along I have been saying that the Pats MOST pressing need was to improve the interior pass rush, either through the draft or FA....or both. Good to see that BB agrees with me, even if I've never heard of this guy. :D The name was totally unrecognizable. Which only goes to show that there are a lot of good football players who play in towns like Cleveland, and Jacksonville that rarely get seen.

2 more points - Like many have said, this guy looks like the Mike Wright replacement. The other point is I am saddened by the demise of Mike Wright's career. I think in 20010 he was on verge of breaking out and taking a first step in becoming a legitimate interior pass rusher in this league. Most of us have forgotten that Wright had 5.5 sacks in less than 7 games. That's a huge amount for a guy playing DL in BB's D. He might have developed into something special if not for the concussions.

Having Fanene and Pryor back giving the Pats some sudden pressure from this interior of the DL will have a similar positive effect on the defense as getting Chung and Spikes back at the end of the year.

Loss of AND/OR lack of. I'm not so sure having Wright and Pryor as the key to the interior rush would have made worlds of difference either.
This is a step in the right direction, but we need 2 more.
I do not count Pryor as viable. He cannot stay healthy. And despite the excitement fans have for him flashing potential here and there because he is the underdog he simply hasn't produced when he was out there either.

I like it! :rocker:

If I'm not mistaken he's the guy w/frizzy orange hair who you want to shake & tell him "it works for palamalou not YOU! Troys athletic looking w/good hair, you're 0-fer in those categories... Head & shoulders is *not* calling!"

However - elsewhere your cousin & mine, DW Toys, posted that he was Pats top FA priority... So we scored our highest priority... Must be doing okay

The thing I really like about the signing is that it's going to be very easy to play the Banana Song with his name:

Fanene, Fanene, Bo-banene
Banana fana Fo-fanene
Fee-fi-mo-fanene
Fanene!

I've never heard of him either, but after reading a thread about him signing here on a Bengals forum I'm thinking this could work out as good, if not better than the Carter/Anderson/Waters signings last year. They are PISSED that the Bengals let him walk. Underrated, high character, high motor, versatile as he was able to slide over and spell their DT. SOunds like a great signing hope it works out

I like the signing. Very low key but his sack potential does really stick out when you look at them. I imagine playing alongside Vince should only improve his stock. Good find BB.

Really like this signing, Fanene is fairly underrated. I like his potential fit as a 5-tech in the 3-4. Now sign either Castillo or Garay and the D-line would be looking good.

Last edited:
Good signing. Whenever I watched the Bengals play, Fanene always stood out with his effort. Always looked like a good player.

A typical low profile but possibly high reward signing by the Pats.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye