PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Agree To 1 Year Deal With Kellen Winslow Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carter, if he's healthy
WR(s) if healthy - Branch, Gaffney, both
TE to replace #47 if they insist on keeping 500 TEs on the roster
Resolve the Waters issue, one way or another.

There's more that I'd hope he's pondering, but those are the top 4 IMO.

why carter? they have been generating good pressure, the players they have have more versatility, and they have good depth.....

why on the wide receivers?????

Carter, if he's healthy

Fair enough. I'm a bit wary of Carter because I don't know if/when he's going to regain his explosiveness coming off the quad injury. The others I certainly wouldn't mind, though.

Hernandez will be back after the bye, at the latest - can't see him getting IR'd.

Hey, wouldn't it be great if there was some kind of an in season IR? That would be awesome. Then assuming that they didn't waste it on some potential back up player the Pats could put A Hern there until he was all healed up.... :rolleyes:

Hey, wouldn't it be great if there was some kind of an in season IR? That would be awesome. Then assuming that they didn't waste it on some potential back up player the Pats could put A Hern there until he was all healed up.... :rolleyes:

I think given the scrubs that made it on the bottom of the roster, the Patriots don't feel there's a premium on all 53 spots this year ;)

why carter? they have been generating good pressure, the players they have have more versatility, and they have good depth.....

why on the wide receivers?????

When Hernandez goes out the offense sputters.

When Chandler Jones goes out....

Really don't understand the negativeness about this signing, he's only 29, had 75 catches for 763 yards last year (With a poor TB team last year), and hasn't missed a game in 5 years. IF he doesn't turn out to be a mental midget as far as learning the playbook (see Ocho Stinko), he's a much better option to play the Aaron Hernandez role than any other TE we have. I think it's a great move. Low Risk High Reward move.

The hawks cut him without a settlement, yes? Doesn't that mean whatever it is isn't keeping him off the field? They do have Zach Miller and the rookie McCoy, maybe they felt good about those guys and didn't want to pay his salary?

FWIW: (10 chars)
Michael Lombardi ‏@michaelombardi

Winslow going to NE today, his knee is a huge concern in terms of practice playing in game--his bad knee is the reason he is not in league
Michael Giardi ‏@MikeGiardi

2nd rant: @adamschefter keeps saying Winslow passed his physical. Doc can rubber stamp anything. Fact is, KW's knee is a disaster (1/2)

Last edited:
When Hernandez goes out the offense sputters.

When Chandler Jones goes out....

they are committed to 2 TE's......hernandez is not hurt long term, they just signed winslow to cover the interim (hopefully).....there is no space for either receiver given the current scheme, nor is there ANY reason to abandon the current scheme.......if hernandez was gone for the year, than maybe they go a different route with the offense....but right now they have ALL they need in WR's, and would only look in branch or gaffney's direction if there is an injury or a fundamental shift in offensive philosophy

carter isn't healthy, and when looking at versatility/cost/what's already on the roster, i don't see him as needed, either......

It's a smart signing, but more moves need to be made.
Unless the goal to get into the Guiness Book of World Records for the highest % of white WRs on the roster is considered vital.

Carter, if he's healthy

This. The team could get real some reinforcements. If I were them I'd be targeting the bye week and looking to round out the roster right then.

A healthy Carter would be an upgrade over Ninko at LDE. If he's going to be healthy at all this year, the bye week is a good timetable for it. No knock on Ninko's solid play, but Carter was one of our two best defenders last year. This also frees Ninko up to serve as depth at LB, which is one of our thinnest spots.

Hernandez & Shiancoe should be back around the bye, really bolstering the already deep TE pool. Winslow bolsters it short-term.

Branch and or Gaffney would mean the team wouldn't have to play Edelman out of position going forward.

I would be on board with all of these moves. And if they could just find a way to get the recluse out of Texas, the OL would really be shored up.

We might find we have some early season struggles - but let's just hope we're healthy and strong later in the season and peak going into the playoffs. If we have a season like the 2007 or 2011 Giants, the Game Threads might be a mess, but no one will be complaining in the winter & spring months.

Last edited:
Why would you want to do that?
We already have an inactive roster spot for a TE.
Using that distinction doesn't have anything to do with Hernandez it has to do with the 53rd player.
And using it limits when he could return.

Carter, if he's healthy

I think the Waters issue is already resolved, but no one wants to accept it.
Winslow should replace 47 and at least one if not both WRs should be signed

In all seriousness, the Patriots *should* be able to score plenty of points, even if "all" they have for weapons is Welker, Lloyd, Gronk, and Ridley, with a HOF QB running the show. That is still significant talent.

In all seriousness, the Patriots *should* be able to score plenty of points, even if "all" they have for weapons is Welker, Lloyd, Gronk, and Ridley, with a HOF QB running the show. That is still significant talent.
Don't forget Edelman.

Edleman & Welker > Branch

Lloyd > Gaffney

running lots of 2 TE sets

signed salas

why are folks still clamoring for branch or gaffney? zero ST capability, and zero upgrade over edleman, welker & lloyd

these guys are only signed if there's a WR injury......

They worked him out in earlier this month. You think they'd know if his knees were ok or not.

He wouldn't have been signed if hi knees were done.

This signing goes to show branch or gaffney won't be back this year

Unless the goal to get into the Guiness Book of World Records for the highest % of white WRs on the roster is considered vital.

.......or black cornerbacks.....See it's not funny,Andy,when you turn the "joke",around:bricks:

Edleman & Welker > Branch

Lloyd > Gaffney

running lots of 2 TE sets

signed salas

why are folks still clamoring for branch or gaffney? zero ST capability, and zero upgrade over edleman, welker & lloyd

these guys are only signed if there's a WR injury......
Welker>Gaffney>Branch>Edelman
as WRs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back