PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Agree To 1 Year Deal With Kellen Winslow Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't think K2 was that bad last few years, wtf do we have fells for though? Is he still hurt?

What's the sweat here? Winslow certainly has more talent left than Ho-Ho has right now, especially since Ho-Ho didn't look so hot blocking on Sunday. If he bombs in practice BB will send him on his way like so many other vets BB has banished to the hinterlands. Plus, the move is temporary unless Winslow tears it up. Then it becomes a win-win for the team and Winslow.

Winslow, by reputation alone if nothing else, will draw some attention from D-coordinators and that, for now, makes him worth the chance. And what's so wrong for TB having a reliable outlet to dump it off for 5-7yds? He could have used another type of dude like that Sunday a number of times. The question is who gets whacked to make room for Winslow?

Ah, K2, that's his nickname? Very good, thank you.

Last edited:
I don't see a downside here. If he's no good you cut him. I don't think he is really taking a roster spot away from anyone significant. If there was someone else they wanted to bring in (WR?) then I'm sure there are other roster spots they could take. Give the guy a shot, see if he has anything left and you might get lucky.

While we're at it. Can we sign Andre Carter? I think he'd be lethal opposite Chandler Jones and use him as a situational pass rusher. Oh, and give Brian Waters a 1yr all you can eat pass at Friendly's for him and his family.

I would be afraid of how much I loved this.

Even with the Hernandez injury this doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I'd be surprised if Winslow can give you 50% of what Hernandez can being that he is older, slower and has almost no clue on the offense.

Really poor planning to have to resort to a free agent like Winslow in the event that Hernandez got injured, especially since Hernandez has been fairly injury prone in the years prior, losing Hernandez is a huge part of the offense, but the fact that it appears this team is unable to function without another tight end is disturbing.

Whats especially irritating is that Fells was brought in to back up Gronk and Hernandez, when he got injured, shiancoe was brought in, when neither of them could go, we brought in Hoomanawanui, and since he apparently cant get the job done either, the patriots are now taking an extreme flyer on a tight end nobody wanted up until now.

'This doesn't bode well' doesn't quite say it.

If Fells is activated, then he'll be Gronk, and Gronk will be AH until/unless Winslow is ready to go.

As to other posters about bringing back WR's off the shadow roster - BB knows what is there and made this move. You think he forgot he had these guys available?

If this means no more Hoohoo, then i LOVE this move.

It's interesting that Fells isn't being given more snaps instead of bringing someone else in.

"More"? He hasn't even been active yet.

As far as Winslow goes, at least his salary isn't guaranteed. :rolleyes:

Finally, at this exact moment, the Pats don't have "7 tight ends on the roster." They actually have 7 TEs on their payroll—5 active (GRONK, Hernandez, Fells, Hoomanawanui (if he doesn't get cut), Winslow), and 2 inactive (Shiancoe on in-season IR, Ballard on PUP).

Remember, though, that this is the team that had five punters on the payroll at the end of 2006 (Walter and Miller on IR, Sauerbrun active, and Baugher and Malone on PS).

Last edited:
If this means no more Hoohoo, then i LOVE this move.

Hoohoo was signed off the redskins practice squad so he has to be around 3 games. Thus, he can't be released to make room for Winslow.

Hoohoo was signed off the redskins practice squad so he has to be around 3 games. Thus, he can't be released to make room for Winslow.

I think they have to pay him for 3 weeks but he can still be released.

"Other teams can sign players off of other practice squads but they must put the player on the active roster and commit to paying that player at least three weeks of salary whether he's on the roster for that long or not."

Practice Squad Salary, Eligibility, Rules And More - SBNation.com

Last edited:
Winslow is a world class idiot but is the best available option at this point with AH out.

Schiano had to talk BB out of trading for him earlier this year and they worked him out a few weeks ago so this was probably an inevitable move. BB seems infatuated with him.

Really poor planning to have to resort to a free agent like Winslow in the event that Hernandez got injured, ...'This doesn't bode well' doesn't quite say it.

Yeah, BB should have planned better than to have Fells and Shiancoe injured. Pretty dumb if you ask me. (sarcasm)

I don't know about your insurance policy, but mine calls this "an act of God." BB is good, but contravening acts of God is a little too much to ask, don't you think...

KW2 should be able to duplicate what Hernandez does in our Offense. "IF" his knees are ok and he doesn't have any problems learning the Offense. We could be saying Hernandez who *ducks out of the way* :beatingcoming: j/k Look at Winslow stats with below average QB's he has never played with a QB like Brady...KW2 is a move chains kinda guy similar to Hernandez...check his stats.

Kellen Winslow Stats - ESPN

Meh.....Bringing in a guy with 2 bad knees that is a shadow of his former self? Hard to get fired up over this move. What's up with Daniel Fells and why did we sign this guy?? If BB is looking for a more "WR like TE" why not bring in another WR like Branch or Gaff??? Anyways, Winslow will be a rental for a few weeks until Hern comes back....but again...what are they going to do with Fells???? Guy was great last year overall....love to see him get some time here....

Yeah, BB should have planned better than to have Fells and Shiancoe injured. Pretty dumb if you ask me. (sarcasm)

I don't know about your insurance policy, but mine calls this "an act of God." BB is good, but contravening acts of God is a little too much to ask, don't you think...
Belichick just should have had two Rob Gronkowskis and two Aaron Hernandezes. Then we wouldn't be in this position.

KWII works fine for me, can't ask more than him as an injury replacement.

Nice, I wanted them to sign Winslow.

"More"? He hasn't even been active yet.

As far as Winslow goes, at least his salary isn't guaranteed. :rolleyes:

Finally, at this exact moment, the Pats don't have "7 tight ends on the roster." They actually have 7 TEs on their payroll—5 active (GRONK, Hernandez, Fells, Hoomanawanui (if he doesn't get cut), Winslow), and 2 inactive (Shiancoe on in-season IR, Ballard on PUP).

Remember, though, that this is the team that had five punters on the payroll at the end of 2006 (Walter and Miller on IR, Sauerbrun active, and Baugher and Malone on PS).

How'd that work out?

This was supposed to be over the hump season.

Are we all sure this move was made just to fill in Hernandez spot for a few weeks and not because AH is worse than what we hear from 'sources'?

I absolutely hate this Patriots tactic when it comes to injury to key players......all we get are 'sources' instead of the team.

Last edited:
If Fells is activated, then he'll be Gronk, and Gronk will be AH until/unless Winslow is ready to go.

As to other posters about bringing back WR's off the shadow roster - BB knows what is there and made this move. You think he forgot he had these guys available?

Gronk and Hernandez are about as interchangeable as Brady and Wilfork. And replacing either with a backup is about as effective as replacing a Welker with an Edleman.

Without Googling, can you name the other receivers that Freeman had to throw to? To top if off, Freeman was constantly pressured (hence some of the major changes along the Tampa O-Line) and had to throw to his safety valve, which was Winslow. I had a roomate that was a Bucs fan last year so, sadly, I watched nearly as much of them as I did the Pats.

Mike Williams, from my alma mater, and former college teammate of Chandler Jones. Pretty solid receiver. From 2010-11 he had 130 rec, 1735 yds, and 14 td. No Jerry Rice, obviously, but pretty good. Made one hell of a TD catch against the Giants on Sunday.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap1000000062688/Williams-41-yard-TD-catch

Last edited:
Are we all sure this move was made just to fill in Hernandez spot for a few weeks and not because AH is worse than what we hear from 'sources'?

I absolutely hate this Patriots tactic when it comes to injury to key players......all we get are 'sources' instead of the team.

It won't be a few weeks. 4-6 is the conservative fingers crossed guesstimate based on their leaking it's a low and not high ankle sprain. They don't want teams we face a month or more from now to rest easy. They're going to have to be very careful in handling this rehab too because this kid at less than 100% isn't the same player and won't help them any more than Gronk did in the SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back