PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots after veteran NFL QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
5 Rings for Brady!! said:
However, it would be a surprise if belichick doesn't bring in some kind of a 'mentor' type Q.B. At least for competition in camp.

I think this is the major point that everyone is missing. The most important aspect of a 3rd QB especially on a Patriots team is their ability to learn/teach and handle the scout team. Cassel seems prone to take over the # 2, so that our # 3 will have to be a teacher or mentor for Cassel and to a lesser extent Brady.

But more importantly, every time you hear BB give a speech after a HUGE victory the first thing he does is thank the backup QB who lead the scout team to prepare our D. I just do not see Collins being enough of a team player to put as much effort as say a Flutie. We can all bash Fiedler, and Lord knows I have and continue to, but the kid is a winner and he will do anything and everything it takes to win. Moral of the story, for a # 3 QB we need an experienced, team player who is willing to ride the pine and help the team at all costs.

mgteich said:
It seems that we are as dependent on Brady as the Colts are on Manning. The difference is that Manning has choked in the playoffs and Brady does not.

Yeah, and Brady costs $4M a year less. That's why I think now this team could hang on for a half season in this division with Cassel though, while Indy is toast with Sorgi. Playoff's we're both toast unless we start out against JAX.

Bostonian1962 said:
O.K., so I'm driving into work this morning, and Sirius NFL Radio says the
Patriots are have Tom Brady and Matt Cassel, but are in pursuit of an NFL Veteran QB to add to the squad.

But they give NO names.

Anybody heard any names (and my upfront appologies if something like this has been posted already)?

Thanks.

There was some discussion of this before.

Many of us seem to feel that like the year Brady backed up Bledsoe, the team feels that Cassell is an adequate backup to Brady.

The concern would be if God forbid anything happens to Brady, who is the backup to Cassell should he falter or get injured himself.

My feeling was why not bring in a few veteran QBs who can come in during camp, become familiar with the system and the players, accept the fact that the team has no real need to keep them on the roster, and have the team enter the season with the knowledge that a few street FA veteran QBs are out there in case we need them.

So while I wouldn't be surprised to see multiple veteran QBs get a look over the summer, I wouldn't be surprised to see them cut before the season as well.

Last edited:
dryheat44 said:
If he gets no offers to start, which is becoming likely, Kerry Collins could be the man.

It's interesting to note that Romeo wants to bring in Vinny Greenhead to back up Charlie Frye.
I thought it was Vinny "GreenBall"???

thats what my uncle calls him at least. I like Vinny, if we are going after a Veteran QB like everyone is saying id rather have it him over the other names we have heard.

patsox23 said:
Doesn't Kerry Collins seems like the anti-Pats QB, though? Poor judgment, not at all a "game manager," just...high-risk junk. Then again, he would only be the #3, so it might be worth a look. Certainly not worth my anxiety.

I don't like guys with personality problems as backups. Fiedler or Maddox would probably be happy to back up and be good team mates.

TeamPats said:
I think this is the major point that everyone is missing. The most important aspect of a 3rd QB especially on a Patriots team is their ability to learn/teach and handle the scout team. Cassel seems prone to take over the # 2, so that our # 3 will have to be a teacher or mentor for Cassel and to a lesser extent Brady.

But more importantly, every time you hear BB give a speech after a HUGE victory the first thing he does is thank the backup QB who lead the scout team to prepare our D. I just do not see Collins being enough of a team player to put as much effort as say a Flutie. We can all bash Fiedler, and Lord knows I have and continue to, but the kid is a winner and he will do anything and everything it takes to win. Moral of the story, for a # 3 QB we need an experienced, team player who is willing to ride the pine and help the team at all costs.

Screw it then, hire John Gruden as our #3 QB. He worked the Bucs scout team as Gannon for Super Bowl XXVII, and by the time they were done, Gannon was taking snaps in the fetal position.

PFnV

PatsWickedPissah said:
Noooooo!
Along those lines Michael Bishop is also available.

And, in fact, led the AFL in rushing last year.

We can even bring back Tony Simmons from his CFL career.

Both the Bucs and the Giants have greater need for a veteran backup than we do. Giants had the inside track although they have recently signed Rob Johnson. Coughlin is looking for someone to mentor Eli and push Hasselbeck whom he doesn't seem real high on. Gruden really needs a veteran who is a legit #2 anyway. Thing is last I heard Feidler isn't even throwing yet - was expected to BEGIN throwing in June. Tough to evaluate his rehab until he's been at it a month or so to see if he has any lingering problems or setbacks. He hasn't been durable since he got his shot at starting in Miami in 2000 and 2001 at 29-30, and he's now 35.

Here's one vote against the assumption that we "need" another veteran QB.

a) We have one already named Brady.
b) Cassel is close to being, or maybe is already, a legit #2.
c) Putting a vet ahead of Cassel will delay b) above.
d) To be worth it, the new vet would have to be able to teach Brady and BB stuff. How many out there are qualified to do that? Flutie was, but who next? Maybe an NFC QB who's familiar with our NFC opponents that Brady hasn't faced much?

I feel that Cassel will be our #2 going into the season. The need for a veteran #3 is incase Brady goes down and Cassel struggles mightly. We all know the Belichick thinks about all possible scenarios.

shakadave said:

d) To be worth it, the new vet would have to be able to teach Brady and BB stuff. How many out there are qualified to do that? Flutie was, but who next? Maybe an NFC QB who's familiar with our NFC opponents that Brady hasn't faced much?

I would agree with that. However, what's the deal with Brady needing a knee brace in mini-camp? That could change things drastically.

shakadave said:

Am I missing something? I thought Cassell had hardly played since high school and played one game as a Patriot.

Maybe the "sure thing" Cassell fans might like to bump some "2 #1 picks for Rohan Davey" threads.

Davey had about 20 times as much experience as Cassell including MVP of NFLE, I believe.

Last edited:
MoLewisrocks said:
Yeah, and Brady costs $4M a year less. That's why I think now this team could hang on for a half season in this division with Cassel though, while Indy is toast with Sorgi. Playoff's we're both toast unless we start out against JAX.

Maybe Cassell is the second coming of Tom Brady though...

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry Glenn is a cowgirl said:
Where is Damon Huard at now?
in Edward's Chiefs house

Pats726 said:
in Edward's Chiefs house

He is still there?

What happened to Todd Collins?

Is he still there as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
RayClay said:
Am I missing something? I thought Cassell had hardly played since high school and played one game as a Patriot.

Maybe the "sure thing" Cassell fans might like to bump some "2 #1 picks for Rohan Davey" threads.

Davey had about 20 times as much experience as Cassell including MVP of NFLE, I believe.

He's played only one game, but the coaches have seen a lot of him by now. I'm going on the assumption that coaches agree that he showed (in the Miami game) a comfort with our offense --- an understanding that Davey never quite got.

Not sure what "2 #1's for Davey" threads you remember, but you can be sure my name isn't on them!

RayClay said:

I'll take talent over experience at 20-1.

Rohan is now the 4th QB on the Arizona Cardinals depth chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back