PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots after veteran NFL QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bostonian1962

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
O.K., so I'm driving into work this morning, and Sirius NFL Radio says the
Patriots are have Tom Brady and Matt Cassel, but are in pursuit of an NFL Veteran QB to add to the squad.

But they give NO names.

Anybody heard any names (and my upfront appologies if something like this has been posted already)?

Thanks.

Fiedler has been rumored for all summer....sort of without making it a big deal...just seems like a fit...

Last edited by a moderator:
Pats726 said:
Fiedler has been rumored for all summer....sort of without making it a big deal...just seems like a fit...

I have heard the Fielder banter. Thanks. Report this morning made it sound like something is in the works for somebody. Could it be Fielder? Hmmm.

I'm Pro-Fielder, unlike some here.

I'm all for adding Fiedler, and I always have been. He has plenty of experience, especially in this division, and I'd feel more comfortable with him making a spot start than Cassell or Bramlet/Mortensen.

That being said if anything happens to #12 for an extended period of time, it doesn't really matter who is behind him.

If he gets no offers to start, which is becoming likely, Kerry Collins could be the man.

It's interesting to note that Romeo wants to bring in Vinny Greenhead to back up Charlie Frye.

dryheat44 said:
If he gets no offers to start, which is becoming likely, Kerry Collins could be the man.

It's interesting to note that Romeo wants to bring in Vinny Greenhead to back up Charlie Frye.
That makes sense...they really need a vet..I don't think Collins has the chemistry for it Patriots.com ahd an article earlier about this..and the backup possibles..Collins was ruled out.because he wants to be the MAN still...Maddox is more possible..behind Fiedler... http://www.patriots.com/search/index.cfm?ac=searchdetail&pid=19356&pcid=41
From May 31st...a good read!!!

Last edited:
Ive heard Jeff Blake and Jay Fiedler are the two main guys.

dryheat44 said:

Doesn't Kerry Collins seems like the anti-Pats QB, though? Poor judgment, not at all a "game manager," just...high-risk junk. Then again, he would only be the #3, so it might be worth a look. Certainly not worth my anxiety.

tatepatsfan said:
I'm all for adding Fiedler, and I always have been. He has plenty of experience, especially in this division, and I'd feel more comfortable with him making a spot start than Cassell or Bramlet/Mortensen.

That being said if anything happens to #12 for an extended period of time, it doesn't really matter who is behind him.
That's what we used to say about #11.

patsox23 said:
Doesn't Kerry Collins seems like the anti-Pats QB, though? Poor judgment, not at all a "game manager," just...high-risk junk. Then again, he would only be the #3, so it might be worth a look. Certainly not worth my anxiety.

Well, the knock on him early in his career was that he wasn't a good teammate. I haven't heard anything about that though since he left Carolina. I don't think he's a great fit for this offense, but if Brady got hurt (God Forbid!) for an extended period, I'll take my chances with Collins over guys like Tommy Maddox and Jeff Blake. At least with Collins, the defense has to defend against the passing game.

Honestly, I don't expect him to be here. I think BBs idea of veteran leadership is more the Fiedler/Shane Matthews/Damon Huard type. Guys that have been around long enough to have seen everything and who are comfortable in a backup role.

SeanBruschi54 said:
Ive heard Jeff Blake and Jay Fiedler are the two main guys.

Appreciate all the feedback. Thanks.

Is Jim Miller still available, or did he retire after that latest injury ? IIR, BB had some really nice things to say about Miller when he was here.

tatepatsfan said:
PromisedLand said:
That's what we used to say about #11.
And it was wrong then, too. It's still a team.

Put me in the category of saying, 'If Brady goes down for a while, it doesn't much matter who we have at back-up, Except maybe Matt Cassell.'

In other words, none of the veterans out there in free agency are going to win the Pats a superbowl.

I think Matt Cassell is promising in the sense that we don't yet know how good he is. We know that Fiedler and the rest are 2nd tier Q.B.s and won't help us for more than about three non-playoff games or so, before the league catches up.

We could just possibly squeeze a good year out of Cassell before the league catches up with him, or at least the verdict is still out there.....

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Put me in the category of saying, 'If Brady goes down for a while, it doesn't much matter who we have at back-up, Except maybe Matt Cassell.'

In other words, none of the veterans out there in free agency are going to win the Pats a superbowl.

I think Matt Cassell is promising in the sense that we don't yet know how good he is. We know that Fiedler and the rest are 2nd tier Q.B.s and won't help us for more than about three non-playoff games or so, before the league catches up.

We could just possibly squeeze a good year out of Cassell before the league catches up with him, or at least the verdict is still out there.....

I agree. I think the #2 job is Cassel's to lose and he won't. The need for the grizzled vet is all but passed - I think they would have loved to have Flutie hang around for one more season of mentoring, but at this stage more to lighten the load on Tommy where Cassel's development is concerned. But the grind of a season as #3 at his age just didn't cut it. He'll make a lot more for less working those college games and doing commentary for ABC and ESPN.

Not sure Fiedler's shoulder will allow him to do the work here, or that he would be interested in the #3 scout role and as competition in camp. If he can throw, and he still can't much at this point, he is up for the #2 job with the Giants because Eli needs a mentor and Coughlin doesn't seem to have much faith in Tim Hasselbeck as his #2. He is a native New Yorker too.

Cowher sounded a very cautious note on Ben returning yesterday, so I wouldn't doubt Maddoux lands back with the Steelers as insurance at least through the pre season.

I think Cassel will be fine. By the time you get to #3 you are usually cooked so other than a guy to run the scout team. I wouldn't write off Bramlet or Mortenson as #3's solely based on media mini camp observations. Heck, Rohan was a #2 and #3 here for 3 years and we won 2 Superbowls. And Rohan will likely shake loose in AZ now that Lienart was drafted. Who knows, stranger things have happened.

MoLewisrocks said:
Rohan was a #2 and #3 here for 3 years and we won 2 Superbowls. And Rohan will likely shake loose in AZ now that Lienart was drafted. Who knows, stranger things have happened.

Noooooo!
Along those lines Michael Bishop is also available.

I do agree with your premise. It's Cassell's to lose and only an excerable performance in game conditions this summer will see us then pay around $900K for a vet QB. I think that BB has enough in the coaching tank to get us .500 in a 4 game pre-playoff stint using Cassell. Anything longer or in the playoffs, we're toast w/o Brady anyway.

However, it would be a surprise if belichick doesn't bring in some kind of a 'mentor' type Q.B. At least for competition in camp.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that we are as dependent on Brady as the Colts are on Manning. The difference is that Manning has choked in the playoffs and Brady does not.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:

I would really like to see Cassell claim the backup job out right in TC. I think he shows decent desicion making abilities and after a year in the program, his mechanics should be much smoother.
However I would rather see one of the two rookie QBs on the PS than on the active roster. But it's hard to see a veteran that would want to come into this type situation.
If Washington cuts Hasselbeck, I think he could work.

If Brady were to go down for say 4-5 games due to injury. ( God forbid ) I would like to see Cassell sent in there to sink or swim. Let's see what the kid can do when the game is his to start. I think we might all be pleasantly surprised. He's got a great arm, been in the system for a year now and has shown BB enough to get drafted and stick around so far, they don't keep stiffs on the 53 man roster..... A vet I would like to see here is Feidler, not Collins!:rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back