PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots About to Be Singled Out For Lack Of Labor Interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Ian's Daily Blog - In an upcoming HBO episode airing tonight on Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel, a profile of*new NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith will be the focus of the episode.* Smith, who visited Gillette Stadium back on May 6th, met with several Patriots*players*and according to ProFootballTalk.com less than 20 members of the team were on hand for [...]

Maybe the players have always thought that their voice did not matter with Upshaw an dcompany...I think it could mean MANY things. It was a day off for players...so bad scheduling for Smith...That they have singled out teh Pats is typical of shows like this..but a GREAT heads up!!

At my place of work - few vote due to union distrust and the overall feeling that our voice means little...

They obviously have more cash than my co-workers do... maybe they feel they can make a go at it regardless of what's decided.

Maybe they're more interested in getting better than learning the ins and outs of their contract.

Who are the union reps on the team? It is their responsibility to get the players to such meetings.

mike vrable is/was the Pats rep.

Unions are to business what pimples and rashes are to perfectly fine baby butts. :)

I believe that the average player is better off with a union than without.

Unions are to business what pimples and rashes are to perfectly fine baby butts. :)

Agreed. Players have more to worry about than what's best for the business owners.

It does not make it the best system - just (arguably) the best one we've come up with so far...

Last edited:
If the Players Union was so great, they would put more emphasis on the well-being of retired players. Gene Upshaw let them down terribly when he denied responsibility for their concerns.

Well then maybe we can go back to the glorious past when workers had it better, you know, before the unions.

I didn't say that the union was great. It is not. The players deserve a stronger union. HOWEVER, the union thry have is much better than not having one.

If the Players Union was so great, they would put more emphasis on the well-being of retired players. Gene Upshaw let them down terribly when he denied responsibility for their concerns.

Matt Light is the new player rep.....Firstly..I wonder if with other teams it was also scheduled on an Off day..With a new player rep..I would think it MAY take some time to get all on board..who knows about the logistics of the metting?? How far in advamce wa sit known?? Typical to pick on the Pats..just anothe rcheap shot..

Agreed. Players have more to worry about than what's best for the business owners.

The NFL Players Association is a joke. The players are not interested in being a "union", they are interested in collecting a paycheck. Remember the last work stoppage when LT and Doug Flutie crossed the picket lines and broke the back of the work stoppage? Remember the number of players who crossed en mass?

Let's face it, these guys are treated pretty well, they get paid 6 figure salaries and get per diem. They don't care how much the owners are making, they only want to keep collecting their paycheck. The owners want to make money, and that is what a business is supposed to do. Truth be told, the NFLPA is probably the best union in pro sports at keeping the golden goose healthy. Yeah, you can argue that the past players are not being taken care of, and you can argue that the owners want give backs, but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter whether collectively it is the right thing to do, what matters is what the rank and file think. My guess is that they want to keep the money coming in.

There are some really easy fixes here that will get this done. The owners are looking at debt and saying that 60% is too much. For an owner like Kraft, 60% really isn't a killer, but for an owner like Wilson in Buffalo, 60% could drive him out of the state. The union will say, let them move, but al that will do is foster bad will in the NFL fan base, in the NFL ownership and in the rank and file. The union will ask to see the owners books, a typical canard, the owners will balk and the union will proclaim "I told you so!", but the fanbase won't be impressed and in the end it is the fan base who will be the judge.

The end game will be:
A rookie pay scale
A lesser percentage of the gross
A return to sanity in player penalties

A less restrictive free agency system
A second bye per season
Better healthcare for "modern" retirees
A discipline committee instead of Goodell the God

There are too many people in the league whose main dialog would be "paper or plastic" if not for football. They need football more than football needs them. This will get settled, I hope. The golden eggs can still be broken, and if that happens, the outcome will be the same as it was the last time there was a strike.

The NFLPA have shown no desire to put an end to the number one problem plaguing their members - ridiculous rookie salaries. Huge first round salaries that cut into the available salary cap are seriously hurting veteran and midlevel players and their ability to earn. I don't have any idea how the NFLPA works in terms of how it collects dues, etc, but for every Jamarcus Russell there are hundreds of vets and guys who are quality role players who become cap casualties to make room for the sexy new first round pick.

Until they do something about this the idea that the NFLPA actually cares about its members instead of catering to the select few at the top of the list of most highly paid players is impossible for me to believe.

The end game will be:
A rookie pay scale
A lesser percentage of the gross
A return to sanity in player penalties

A less restrictive free agency system
A second bye per season
Better healthcare for "modern" retirees
A discipline committee instead of Goodell the God

There are too many people in the league whose main dialog would be "paper or plastic" if not for football. They need football more than football needs them. This will get settled, I hope. The golden eggs can still be broken, and if that happens, the outcome will be the same as it was the last time there was a strike.
I agree the union has had a better perspective on keeping the golden goose alive... BUT I guess also in this end game would be 18 reg season games...AND with that HAS to be some way to evaluate and develop players...(believe it or not those 2 preseason games WERE helpful for that..) My guess is the league will have to really look at a developmental league for young players
Also...maybe instead of a 2nd bye week..expansion of rosters, modification of the IR and other ways that teams would be comfortable with added length of the season.
Not sure about less restrictive free agency I think it is fine the way it is...I totally agree about penalties and having a panel instead of a potentate...To me, the gross has to be lower...esp in these economic times... The largest thing in all of this to me is for tehleague to get serious about a developmental spring league..THAT is needed...OR??? some replacement or way to evaluate talent.

That's one of the flaws with unions. Why should the best players subsidize the inferior players? They're effectively giving up money.

Secondly, the distrust with unions is also there. Look at the politicking Vincent did. All of those guys are making quid pro quos, handshake deals to further their own interests...not the interests of the players. It's all about power. And by submitting to a union and forking over the fruits of your labor in the form of dues, you lose your voice. Your sovereignty is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots