PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 53-Man Roster Projection

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Forum members have asked for an actual football thread on the first page (shocking, I know!). Here is my first go at the 53-Man Roster. Hopefully others will give a go at it.

Pats 53 man roster projection.png

Thoughts:

Offense
-Gilbert is an easy cut if Brady's suspension stands and he returns.
-3 RBs+1 FB is plenty for the Steelers game IMO, considering we will be passing most of the game.
-Fred Davis & Tim Wright are in competition for one spot. I think Hooman has value as a 4th TE, but I could see why others would disagree.
-OL is pretty straightforward. The only competition is Kline vs. Andrews (he received the highest bonus of any BB UDFA ever)
-I feel that Dobson & Tyms are in competition for one spot. I'd be surprised if both made the team. Nod goes to the more talented player. Also, an UDFA has made a BB 53 man roster every year since 2004. Andrews & Harper received the highest bonuses, and Harper's story is interesting. He left school early and had solid production; he's only 21.

Defense
-DE is loaded and straight forward.
-DT is talented with question marks. Question is to keep Chris Jones or not. I think he's worth a spot.
-LB is loaded. I have no idea who will be ST LB5, so I just went with the veteran. Grissom/Ninkovich can also play OLB if needed.
-CB- we need one pleasant surprise here. Butler becoming a solid CB1, Fletcher recovering, Roberts becoming a draft steal, or Ryan gaining some consistency.
-S- I love our group. Safety is the scarcest position in the NFL yet we have a top 3 FS, a solid SS, and a backup FS with promise. Hopefully Richards is better than Tavon.

ST
-I feel BB likes Ebner enough that he is a permanent ST only player with Slater.
-Is Cardona playing?

I actually really like this roster projection. I might disagree with a couple players but I think the total number of guys per position is pretty good - I think it's true that you've got several situations with guys competing for one spot - Gray/Gaffney, Davis/Wright/Derby, Kline/Andrews, Dobson/Tyms, White/Wells. I think the question about Chris Jones is valid too - does the team keep him, or release him and just bring Vellano up from the PS if there's a DT injury?

I must also say that this is one b****ing roster. Every position group has the potential to be really great, except for maybe RB which would still be pretty good, and CB. But even then, if someone like Gaffney or Fletcher or Butler unexpectedly impress, it could change things.

Here's my 53.

QB - Brady, Garoppolo
RB - Blount, Gaffney, Bolden and ??? Cadet for now
FB - Develin
TE - Gronk, Chandler, Wright
WR - Edelman, LaFell, Amendola, Dobson, Gibson, Slater
OL - Solder, Wendell, Stork, Fleming and Vollmer start.
Bu's will be; Cannon, Kline, Jackson and Mason

DE - Ninko, Jones, Sheard, Flowers and Grissom
DT - Siliga, Branch, Easley, Brown and Chris Jones.
LB - Hightower, Collins, Mayo, Spikes, Wells and White
CB - Ryan, Butler, Fletcher, Roberts and McClain
S - McCourty, Harmon, Chung, Wilson and Richards

P - Allen
K - Gostkowski
LS - Cardona

That's 54. Blount doesn't count. Not sure who to drop yet. I hope we sign Fletcher to replace Chris White and Ahmad Bradshaw to replace Cadet.

I think the question about Chris Jones is valid too - does the team keep him, or release him and just bring Vellano up from the PS if there's a DT injury?

There's a reason why, when given the choice, the Pats kept Jones and moved Vellano to the PS. . . .

There's a reason why, when given the choice, the Pats kept Jones and moved Vellano to the PS. . . .

Right. Antonio Johnson probably has a better chance of beating Chris Jones out.

Jones......Easley......Brown......Sheard
Grissom...Jones.......Siliga........Flowers
Branch

Hightower.....Mayo....Collins
Ninkovitch....Spikes...Fletcher

McCourty....Harmon
Chung....Richards....Ebner

Fletcher....Roberts...McClain
Ryan...Butler...Jean

Soldier...Cannon...Stork......Jackson....Vollimer
Devey.....Wendell...Mason......Fleming

Brady...Garoppolo

Gronkowski...Chandler...Wright...Davis

Edelman...Lafell...Amendola...Dobson...Slater

Develin...Blount...Bolden...Cadet...White

Gostkowski...Allen

First thing you probably notice is Ninkovitch will have a reduced role, but I see him assuming the LS duties, opening up an extra spot, that I have dedicated to a 6th CB.
We also have great depth and versatility.
Also the reduction of WR's will be compensated by the increase in receiving threats at TE and RB.
The increase in bulk across the OL should signal the return of the power running game. Develin, Blount, and Bolden are a good power rotation.
The increase in speed on the Dl should signal more of an attacking D reducing coverage time and increasing QB hurries.
Multiple TE sets will be more frequent and hope we also see the return of the move TE on this roster.
I also like the possibility of fielding 5 possible receivers over 6'3,(Gronk ,Chandler, Lafell, Dobson ,Wright, Davis)

Last edited:
I like the thought of running a 3TE set of Gronk, Chandler, and Wright/Davis, Blount in the backfield and Edelman out wide and just going up-tempo and not allowing the defense to substitute at all. You can split any TE you want out wide to the other side of the field from Edelman, or even put one out wide and one in the slot if you want, or you can keep all three TEs in tight and power run with Blount. Could run play action too... Best part is that the D will be gassed after a few plays but they can't substitute because you're not substituting. Versatility!

QB - Brady, Garropollo (2)
RB - Gaffney, Bolden, White, Cadet, Develin (5)
WR - Edelman, LaFell, Amendola, Dobson, Slater (5)
TE - Gronkowski, Chandler, Wright, Derby (4)
OL - Solder, Vollmer, Stork, Cannon, Jackson, Fleming, Mason, Wendell (8)
DL - Siliga, Easley, Brown, Branch, Moore (5)
Edge - Jones, Ninkovich, Sheard, Flowers, Grissom (5)
LB - Collins, Hightower, Mayo, Spikes, Wells (5)
DB - McCourty, Chung, Harmon, Butler, Ryan, Fletcher, Richards, Wilson, Ebner, Roberts (10)
ST - Gostkowski, Allen, Cardona (3)

Suspended - Blount

Right. Antonio Johnson probably has a better chance of beating Chris Jones out.
I se the two as different players...Johnson is more along the skillset of Siliga, and Branch.....Where as Jones is more of a penetrator like Easley....Being that Branch and Siliga have the upper hand, I don't see Johnson making the 53...He needs to unseat Branch if he wants to stay...

Offense - 24

QB - 2 - Brady Garo (Gilbert in till Brady gets back than back to PS or off the roster)
WR - 4 - Edelman Lafell Amendola Dobson
TE - 4 - Gronk Chandler Davis Hooman
OL - 9 - Solder Jackson Stork Wendell Solder Flemming Cannon Mason Kline (maybe Andrews)
RB - 4 - Gaffney Blount Cadet Bolden (Grey takes Blount's spot then you choose between him and Gaffney)
FB - 1 - Develin

Defense - 24

DE - 5 - Jones Nink Sheard Grissom Flowers
DT - 5 - Brown Easley Siliga Branch Jones
LB - 5 - Collins Mayo Hightower Spikes White
CB - 5 - Butler Fletcher McClain Ryan Roberts
S - 4 - McCourty Richards Harmon Chung

STs - 5 - Gost Allen Cardona Slater Ebner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back