PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots: 2nd best

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can we be 2nd best when we beat you twice on Championship Sunday at Heinz field? You still have beat us in the playoffs and you've proven you still can't do that.........

Seattle and Arizona, have to be the two worst SB opponents in the history of football. Play a real team without the help of Terry McCauley and see how you make out.

yah the '79 LA Rams - and who did they loose to . .. oh the steelers you don't say . . .

I was not aware that the "modern era" is 2001 to present and that 2 is more than 3. Thanks for the updates.
Plus a conference championship in addition. And spanking the Steelers on their home field for two championships. Plus a .719 winning pct for the Pats vs .661 for the Steelers.

Get off this board, ass clown, and enjoy just your 2nd championship. That's right, judging from the stupidity of your post, you probably weren't even born when the Steelers won their first four.

oww, this particular steeler fan has forgotten some serious whippings his team recieved at our hands in multiple AFCCG eh?

The Steelers win last night only further solidifies the Pats status as the team of the decade since they beat the Steelers twice on the way to 2 of those SB wins, both in Pittsburgh btw. The Steelers can claim that they are the team of the century with 6 SB wins but that's a totally different topic and should be looked upon by smarter people than I. The Pats are clearly the team of this decade.

How about the the two AFC championships we won on the Steelers home turf,on the way to superbowl victories..now they were classics!I like Soonerpats line the best...

1) I am fascinated with the idea that the modern era began in 2000. We are clearly dealing with a pre-teen.
2) The Steelers are arguably indeed the best team in the modern era, which began with the merger, and the first Super Bowl. I would argue that SF is that team, but the steelers certainly have one of the top franchises.
3) The team of the decade is now still the patriots. A 2009-2010 win by the steelers would make that a virtual tie, with the patriots holding the first half of the decade, and the steelers the second.
4) We will be the team of the decade by winning the next Super Bowl, or if neither of us wins.

Today the Steelers and their Fans are talking about big plays and outstanding defense.

The one thing that they will not talk about and the one thing that they should be most thankful for is Tom Brady's absence from the league.

The Steelers win just cemented the resolve of Bill and Tom's desire to beat the hell out of the league next season. There will be no mercy.

what does suck is that the Steelers have won two super bowls since the Pats last won one

The Redskins won 2 superbowls in the 1980's....does that mean they are now the team of the 80's and not the Niners? What am I missing here?

After tonights super bowl....you have now all become witness/fans of the 2nd best team of the modern era....the ne/ patriots..congrats...itll now take two years to out due the steelers....they are the most dominant franchise of the 2000s....nothing else you can say about it...

Trying to be objective...

Since the "modern era" of the NFL begins, according to the League's own definition (see NFL HOF Website) with Bert Bell's becoming NFL commisioner in 1946 that's quite a compliment! In fact, it would argue that the Patriots are superior to Paul Brown's Browns, Lombardi's Packers, Landry's Cowboys and Grant's '49ers (to name just three teams that have won titles since that time). Thank you, but I'm not even sure I would agree with that. There can be a reasonable debate as to which is the greatest NFL Franchise of all time and the four teams I named above, along with the Steelers, all deserve to be in that discussion.

If you're trying to say that the Pats have a legitimate claim to being the #2 Franchise of the Super Bowl era, I would agree with that, but still think that the Niners and Cowboys could lay claim to that title as well, though I do think the Pats belong seriously in the discussion. With six rings, the Steelers are clearly the number one Franchise of the entire SB era.

If you're trying to say that the Steelers are the number one Franchise of the post-Cap era (1992/93 on), then I would disagree with you. I think the Patriots and Cowboys can each lay legitimate claim to that title.

1) I am fascinated with the idea that the modern era began in 2000. We are clearly dealing with a pre-teen.
2) The Steelers are arguably indeed the best team in the modern era, which began with the merger, and the first Super Bowl. I would argue that SF is that team, but the steelers certainly have one of the top franchises.
3) The team of the decade is now still the patriots. A 2009-2010 win by the steelers would make that a virtual tie, with the patriots holding the first half of the decade, and the steelers the second.
4) We will be the team of the decade by winning the next Super Bowl, or if neither of us wins.

Nope. Sorry. The Modern Era of the NFL is defined as the period that begins when Bert Bell became Commissioner in 1946 (see the NFL's HOF website). The next era that counts is the SB era, which began with the merger and "SB" I (the first AFL/NFL Championship Game was not called SB.)

Yep, ever since we won ours, it has been a feast of Hated rivals success...

Even when we went again, our loss was a joyous event for our rivals. Since our wins, it has been a wearing task even being a overall football fan...

I've grown tired of the constant bragging from other fans, I never bragged about the pats wins, but I get constant crap, constantly heard all year "I rather lose in the regular season than be perfect and lose the last one" ...

Even the perfect regular season eroded my fandom, it was a boring season to watch...

Maybe i'm growing out of caring so much for a game... Maybe im tired of the dillusional entitlement fans feel when their team wins. Not that I think spygate takes anything away from the pats, i wish it never happened because im tired of hearing cheaters everytime I go to bar to watch it... The hate so many other people spew towards pats fans, is wearing on me, and the joyous celebrations when our team falls is wearing on me. During the late 90s and the early 2000s, it was fun, unexpected, and exciting to watch...

Now, this level of achievement that is required in order to be happy, and enjoy the team, is wearing on me.

Go pats, let's get em next year...

Good grief. The OP sounds like it was written by Billy Bob Thornton's character in Sling Blade. Mmmmm. 'Taters.

The Steelers went to 2 Super Bowls this decade. How many wins do they have against the Pats in the playoffs over the past decade and a half (just to extend the history a bit)? How many losses? Is Holmgren still crying over the prior Super Bowl win, as well as the entire State of Washington? And the Steelers should thank Warner for that low velocity short pass into the endzone that turned the game around. But for that pass and plenty of bad penalties for the Cards in the first half, the Cards would be celebrating right now.

For the Steelers fans on this site not suffering from whatever ails the OP'er, enjoy the win. No denying your team had a good season this year. But with Brady back with a vengeance, I wouldn't make space in the trophy case for a consecutive Lombardi next year.

Last edited:
Yep, ever since we won ours, it has been a feast of Hated rivals success...

Even when we went again, our loss was a joyous event for our rivals. Since our wins, it has been a wearing task even being a overall football fan...

I've grown tired of the constant bragging from other fans, I never bragged about the pats wins, but I get constant crap, constantly heard all year "I rather lose in the regular season than be perfect and lose the last one" ...

Even the perfect regular season eroded my fandom, it was a boring season to watch...

Maybe i'm growing out of caring so much for a game... Maybe im tired of the dillusional entitlement fans feel when their team wins. Not that I think spygate takes anything away from the pats, i wish it never happened because im tired of hearing cheaters everytime I go to bar to watch it... The hate so many other people spew towards pats fans, is wearing on me, and the joyous celebrations when our team falls is wearing on me. During the late 90s and the early 2000s, it was fun, unexpected, and exciting to watch...

Now, this level of achievement that is required in order to be happy, and enjoy the team, is wearing on me.

Go pats, let's get em next year...

Very perceptive post. I think it's why a lot of folks don't get involved deeply with their team. It's possible to invest so much in its success and to take what people say about it so seriously that it starts, as you say, to "wear" on us. I know. I had to take a couple of months off from the board and following the Pats closely after last year's SB. The loss had gotten to me too much.

I can be sanguine about the negative criticisms directed at the Pats because I actually take them as compliments. I grew up in Philadelphia, hating the Cowboys and the Yankees (for beating the Phillies in the 1950 World Series, if you can believe that), so I know what it's like to feel intense jealousy of successful franchises. When you're on top, it just comes with the turf and you have to laugh at it or ignore it. NOTHING can change what happened on the field in SB's XXXVI, -VIII and -IX.

Good grief. The OP sounds like it was written by Billy Bob Thornton's character in Sling Blade. Mmmmm. 'Taters.

The Steelers went to 2 Super Bowls this decade. How many wins do they have against the Pats in the playoffs over the past decade and a half (just to extend the history a bit)? How many losses? Is Holmgren still crying over the prior Super Bowl win, as well as the entire State of Washington? And the Steelers should thank Warner for that low velocity short pass into the endzone that turned the game around. But for that pass and plenty of bad penalties for the Cards in the first half, the Cards would be celebrating right now.

For the Steelers fans on this site not suffering from whatever ails the OP'er, enjoy the win. No denying your team had a good season this year. But with Brady back with a vengeance, I wouldn't make space in the trophy case for a consecutive Lombardi next year.

If we have learned anything about consecutive appearances in the SB...the giants failed to do so this year, the SB curse will come back and haunt the steelers with a vengence....

GO PATS!!

I admit, I was never that good at math, but isnt 3>2?

After tonights super bowl....you have now all become witness/fans of the 2nd best team of the modern era....the ne/ patriots..congrats...itll now take two years to out due the steelers....they are the most dominant franchise of the 2000s....nothing else you can say about it...

Do your parents know your up this late talking on internet message boards? For crying out loud...it's school night for you.

The Steelers win last night only further solidifies the Pats status as the team of the decade since they beat the Steelers twice on the way to 2 of those SB wins, both in Pittsburgh btw. The Steelers can claim that they are the team of the century with 6 SB wins but that's a totally different topic and should be looked upon by smarter people than I. The Pats are clearly the team of this decade.
Congratulations to the Steelers on their season and for the win, but they are neither the best team of the decade nor the best franchise in NFL history. The sixth championship only gets them half way to the Packers' 12, which for some reason is not being brought up in any discussions on tv or radio today. In fact the Bears, Browns and Giants all have more championships also.

Congratulations to the Steelers on their season and for the win, but they are neither the best team of the decade nor the best franchise in NFL history. The sixth championship only gets them half way to the Packers' 12, which for some reason is not being brought up in any discussions on tv or radio today. In fact the Bears, Browns and Giants all have more championships also.

Great point. The modern era of the NFL began 20 years before the Super Bowl era (even tho some of those titles were pre-modern era, your point is still valid).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back