PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 2013 Rookies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
This year’s group of rookies deserves more credit than any group in the Belichick era in my opinion. When you consider we entered the draft with just 5 draft picks (25, 59, 91, 226 and 235) it is even more impressive that we were able to find this many impactful players and you can tie the Blount acquisition to the 2013 draft.

• Jamie Collins (52nd overall) – 16 games played, 43 tackles, 1 fumble recovery, 4 QB hurries, 4 QB hits, 3 pass defended, and 2 stuffs.
• Aaron Dobson (59th overall) – 12 games played, 37 receptions, 519 receiving yards, 4 touchdowns, and 25 first downs.
• Logan Ryan (83rd overall) – 16 games played, 35 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 5 interceptions, 10 pass defended, 1 stuff, and 1 defensive touchdown.
• Duron Harmon (91st overall) – 15 games played, 31 tackles, 2 interceptions, and 4 pass defended.
• Josh Boyce (102nd overall) – 9 games played, 121 receiving yards, 6 first downs, and 214 kick return yards.
• Chris Jones (198th overall by Texans) – 13 games played, 54 tackles, 6 sacks, and 3 stuffs.
• Michael Buchanan (226th overall) – 15 games played, 9 tackles, and 2 sacks.
• Steve Beauharnais (235th overall) – 1 games played and 1 tackle.
• Kenbrell Thompkins (UDFA) – 12 games played, 32 receptions, 466 receiving yards, 4 touchdowns, and 21 first downs.
• Joe Vellano (UDFA) – 16 games played, 54 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 fumble recovery, 1 pass defended, and 2 stuffs.
• Ryan Allen (UDFA) – 16 games played, 76 punts, 45.9 average, 29 inside the 20, and 39.9 net average.

Add to the mix Sealver Siliga who played 1 NFL game prior to signing here who ended with – 5 games played, 23 tackles, 3 sacks, and 1 forced fumble as well as James Develin who had never played an NFL snap prior to this season – he developed into a very good blocker as the season progressed and chipped in with 10 rushing yards, 4 receptions, 62 receiving yards, 7 first downs and 1 touchdown.

Ty Warren, Eugene Wilson, Bethel Johnson, Dan Klecco, Dan Koppen, Assante Samuel and Tully Banta Cain. Klecoo and TBC only had small roles but they don't win the SB without the others including Johnson who had the kick return for a TD before the half at Indy and the deep TD against the Titans in the playoffs.

I wouldn't say that any of them came in their first season and was a GOOD starter in this league, Ryan's and Jones' stats notwithstanding.

But Dobson, Ryan, Harmon, Jones and Collins all look like at least OK starters by the end of the season (injury aside), so I agree that this is a solid job of talent assembly.

IMO, this is how I feel about our draft picks in the first four rounds heading into next year: (critiquing 5th-UDFAs is silly since their success rate is so low, anything we get from there is just gravy)

Very Promising:

Collins
Ryan
Harmon

To Be Determined:

Dobson

Not looking Good:

Boyce

Ryan Allen and Chris Jones would be in the very promising category, while KT/Vellano/Buchanan/Beauharnais would be in the to be determined category.

The class really depends on Dobson/KT, as I could see either/both breaking out into great WRs or "busting". (can't bust as an UDFA) They could go either way. KT has an elite ability of the LOS that can't be taught, but makes many other mistakes as a WR, while Dobson has just been shaky all year.

The depth from this class has been great; I don't think we'll see a long-term standout ala Warren/Samuel/Koppen, but THIS year the team really needed depth.

Not looking Good:

Boyce

I think you are way off here. The main reason boyce was not seeing more action is because we can only have 11 people on the field. When everyone went down and he came in he played well, and had some nice catches, If he can get better at special teams Hes someone i see as a long term player here.

Originally Posted by patsinthesnow
Not looking Good:

Boyce
I think you are way off here. The main reason boyce was not seeing more action is because we can only have 11 people on the field. When everyone went down and he came in he played well, and had some nice catches, If he can get better at special teams Hes someone i see as a long term player here.

I'd give Boyce an incomplete, at worst. (And I know that for some on this board "incomplete" = "bust." I don't see it that way.) I have high hopes for him. He has excellent speed and seems to run routes pretty well for his experience level.

You never know what's developing behind the scenes. (Folks were pretty down on Collins for a while — the nerve of the rookie, not playing — but he's done pretty well with his opportunities). Boyce certainly needs to study film of how Edelman grabs the ball with his hands rather than doing the Ricochet Caldwell thing. But I see a lot of promise.

I'd give Boyce an incomplete, at worst. (And I know that for some on this board "incomplete" = "bust.") I have high hopes for him. You never know what's developing behind the scenes. (Folks were pretty down on Collins for a while — the nerve of the rookie, not playing — but he's done pretty well with his opportunities). Boyce certainly needs to study film of how Edelman grabs the ball with his hands rather than doing the Ricochet Caldwell thing. But I see a lot of promise.

Again, just my opinion, but I went to TC this year a good 7 or 8 times, and Boyce really struggled. He found himself on the 3rd team with Tebow on numerous days. His draft spot got him on the roster. He then found himself behind both Dobson/KT in the regular season and played poorly in his limited opportunities.

If Edelman is resigned, then 4 out of our 5 WR positions are essentially locked up in Edelman/Amendola/Dobson/KT. Boyce is going to have to battle Harrison/Moe/free agents/late round or undrafted rookies for the last spot. His spot is no guarantee next year.

To Be Determined:

Dobson
If you look at the games that were not impacted by injuries for Dobson he was actually very good. He was playing at a very high level prior to suffering the foot injury in Denver.

Not looking Good:

Boyce

I thought he was playing real well and then injured his ankle, his play against the Browns gave us the opportunity to win.

Wide receivers have the biggest jump in years 1 to 2 of any position other than QB in my opinion. Look at Jeffrey in Chicago. A rookie season like Keenan Allen's is not the norm.

I agree with the above - not down on Boyce at all. Actually pretty optimistic based on what we've seen.

Very happy to see Collins getting more reps. Probably most excited about him moving forward - I think he's going to be a beast.

Again, just my opinion, but I went to TC this year a good 7 or 8 times, and Boyce really struggled. He found himself on the 3rd team with Tebow on numerous days. His draft spot got him on the roster. He then found himself behind both Dobson/KT in the regular season and played poorly in his limited opportunities.

Something to keep in mind is that Boyce missed all of OTAs and the early part of training camp recovering from a foot injury. Dobson and Thompkins were ahead of him coming into season.

Boyce is going to have to battle Harrison/Moe/free agents/late round or undrafted rookies for the last spot. His spot is no guarantee next year.

Why would they gave up on a 3rd round WR after one season?

It depends how the offseason goes. What if BB really likes a WR in rounds 2-4, or really likes a mid level FA? Boyce would seem to be the odd man out.

It depends how the offseason goes. What if BB really likes a WR in rounds 2-4, or really likes a mid level FA? Boyce would seem to be the odd man out.

Perhaps, though I think given the team's needs BB is very unlikely to expend limited draft/FA capital to acquire more receivers. If anything, they would be well served to simply re-sign Edelman (assuming he's not priced out) and go into the season with Amendola/Edelman/Dobson/Boyce/KT. And then Slater, I guess, if you want to count him as a WR.

You have to give Boyce a chance. He really only played in two games this season and his struggles with drops were the same that Thompkins and Dobson had at the start of the season.
If you recall people were bashing Collins as a bust earlier in the season and it was entirely because he was not playing very much give guys a chance to have an impact before writing them off.

If Edelman is resigned, then 4 out of our 5 WR positions are essentially locked up in Edelman/Amendola/Dobson/KT. Boyce is going to have to battle Harrison/Moe/free agents/late round or undrafted rookies for the last spot. His spot is no guarantee next year.

Kenbrell Thompkins has nothing whatsoever locked up.

To Be Determined:

Dobson

I don't get why so many people are down on Dobson (a lot of people were calling him a JAG potential the game threads). The guy has had the best rookie season by any Patriots' WR since Terry Glenn. I know that isn't an impressive list of WRs, but he did have a better rookie season than Deion Branch who was easily the best WR drafted between Glenn and Dobson.

When I look at Dobson, I think he has the best shot at being a superstar out of this rookie class. He has some things to work on to be a very good WR, nevermind a stud. But he has things that cannot be taught. He burns defenders quite a bit off the line and frequently wide open down the field. He can make freakish catches.

Yes, Dobson needs to work on his consistency and routes. I think people overrate his drops because of how he started the season, but he could be a bit better there.

If Dobson was healthy, based how he started to come on before he got injured, he could have had upwards to 800 yards and 7-8 TDs for the year if he didn't basically miss the last month of the season due to a stress fracture.

I don't get why so many people are down on Dobson (a lot of people were calling him a JAG potential the game threads). The guy has had the best rookie season by any Patriots' WR since Terry Glenn. I know that isn't an impressive list of WRs, but he did have a better rookie season than Deion Branch who was easily the best WR drafted between Glenn and Dobson.

When I look at Dobson, I think he has the best shot at being a superstar out of this rookie class. He has some things to work on to be a very good WR, nevermind a stud. But he has things that cannot be taught. He burns defenders quite a bit off the line and frequently wide open down the field. He can make freakish catches.

Yes, Dobson needs to work on his consistency and routes. I think people overrate his drops because of how he started the season, but he could be a bit better there.

If Dobson was healthy, based how he started to come on before he got injured, he could have had upwards to 800 yards and 7-8 TDs for the year if he didn't basically miss the last month of the season due to a stress fracture.

I saw that in Howe's article as well. Not sure why they would continue to play him with a stress fracture?

This year’s group of rookies deserves more credit than any group in the Belichick era in my opinion. When you consider we entered the draft with just 5 draft picks (25, 59, 91, 226 and 235) it is even more impressive that we were able to find this many impactful players and you can tie the Blount acquisition to the 2013 draft.

Nice breakdown, in a year where depth was really needed it is nice to see a lot of singles and possibly a few doubles. This team looks to have good depth next year due to the contributions of the experience of the emergency starters (Jones, Vellano, Harmon, Jones, Collins, etc.) WRs are always a question mark, Dobson looks to have a lot of potential Boyce, Thompkins seem like JAGs or maybe a little bit more.

Going into 2014 I hope some they can have a similar draft class or even try to get more quality at the top end. A few high end players amongst all this depth would look pretty sweet.

Josh Boyce wasn't taken in the 3rd round, it was the 4th, but your point still stands.

He'll definitely be in the mix to be a starting WR here next year, and we're all for as much decent competition as possible, which is obviously a great thing. If someone else beats him or Thompkins out, it's because Belichick sees better talent and skill in them.

I think the concern is due to Boyce looking completely lost, running horrible routes, etc earlier in the season, where he was promptly pulled and made inactive for a very long stretch. He had a bit of a red shirt season while still being able to taste the benefit of live game reps at times. By no means should anyone be giving up on him, or anyone else who is a rookie this season.

As Brady6 pointed out, he'll have the benefit of going through OTAs and TC this season, which will likely go a long way towards his progression. I think we should be pretty high on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down