PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 2011 Offensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
If light starts at Lt, I could envision Solder at RG in a goalline package where connolly moves to FB.

I really doubt Solder goes to RG. If anyone goes to RG, I think it would be Light.

I really doubt Solder goes to RG. If anyone goes to RG, I think it would be Light.

That would make more sense if it had been Light taking the snaps at guard.

Clearly C and RG are the weak points.

Next year if the Pats draft a game ready Center such as Ben Jones (Georgia 6-3 315) we'll be looking very likely at a mighty OL of:

Solder 6' 8" 325 lbs
Mankins 6' 4" 310 lbs
Jones 6' 3" 315 lbs
Cannon 6' 5" 345 lbs
Sea Bass 6' 8" 325 lbs

One can only wait for that .....

Teams are going to cut from 80 to 53 on cutdown day. There's going to be about 800 cuts. I think Thomas Austin could be stashed on the practice squad and we only carry 8 OL. Can't see teams knocking down his door to make their 53. Too much mass confusion instead of gradual cuts could work in our favor. Plus, we don't know what's up with M. Cannon as JMT and mgteich mentioned. But, with him on PUP and not practicing. How do we have any feel for what he can/can't do?

Solder, Wendell and Maneri is pretty good depth on the OL. And, Austin ready to be activated in case of injury. He wouldn't dress for 46 anyway. So, he's like your 9th ol if you think nobody claims him.

In the past Light has made it known that he was only interested in LT. It could be football mortality has had him also include RT on that list. But RG? While it makes sense in some ways, any day of snaps at RG for the any T on the roster is for emergencies more then regular starts.

Teams are going to cut from 80 to 53 on cutdown day. There's going to be about 800 cuts. I think Thomas Austin could be stashed on the practice squad and we only carry 8 OL. Can't see teams knocking down his door to make their 53. Too much mass confusion instead of gradual cuts could work in our favor. Plus, we don't know what's up with M. Cannon as JMT and mgteich mentioned. But, with him on PUP and not practicing. How do we have any feel for what he can/can't do?

Solder, Wendell and Maneri is pretty good depth on the OL. And, Austin ready to be activated in case of injury. He wouldn't dress for 46 anyway. So, he's like your 9th ol if you think nobody claims him.

Don't forget that Ohrnberger is still PS eligible, too. He cleared waivers once, he could again.

Last edited:
This bears saying again, in a different way: As of right now, assuming that Light is the starting LT, Solder won't be put on the Active List for games, much less starting or substituting. He can only replace one player on the line in the event of an injury (Light) which means he can't be one of the two backup linemen who are activated for games.

Something has to give or we will have a long year of no Solder. He'll just be a practice player.

Are you suggesting that Maneri is ready to backup at LT and RT?

This bears saying again, in a different way: As of right now, assuming that Light is the starting LT, Solder won't be put on the Active List for games, much less starting or substituting. He can only replace one player on the line in the event of an injury (Light) which means he can't be one of the two backup linemen who are activated for games.

Something has to give or we will have a long year of no Solder. He'll just be a practice player.

Don't forget that Ohrnberger is still PS eligible, too. He cleared waivers once, he could again.
Isnt Ohrenberger currently our #1 backup at C and G?

I don't feel comfortable w/ Maneri as our backup RT. It was just 1-1/2 years ago that he was a college TE; so now he's expected to play a stout RT position? That's why I was disappointed that LeVoir was released. Why do it now? At least wait for the first cut-down day.
I wouldn't even mind if OxyKaczur returned (for the vet minimum+, of course) as our backup RT until Maneri finished gaining the weight required for both backup Tackle positions, not just LT.

That makes no sense. He is competing to start, and if he does not he would be the backup T. He also is taking snaps in practice at G, which is something you would do with your game day active backup T in the event of an emergency. EVERYTHING points in the opposite direction of your conclusion.

I don't feel comfortable w/ Maneri as our backup RT. It was just 1-1/2 years ago that he was a college TE; so now he's expected to play a stout RT position? That's why I was disappointed that LeVoir was released. Why do it now? At least wait for the first cut-down day.
I wouldn't even mind if OxyKaczur returned (for the vet minimum+, of course) as our backup RT until Maneri finished gaining the weight required for both backup Tackle positions, not just LT.
Manieri is almost surely the 4th T.
Has anyone picked up Kaczur?

In the past Light has made it known that he was only interested in LT. It could be football mortality has had him also include RT on that list. But RG? While it makes sense in some ways, any day of snaps at RG for the any T on the roster is for emergencies more then regular starts.
When did Light discuss only being interested in playing LT? I dont recall him ever squawking about anything.

That makes no sense. He is competing to start, and if he does not he would be the backup T. He also is taking snaps in practice at G, which is something you would do with your game day active backup T in the event of an emergency. EVERYTHING points in the opposite direction of your conclusion.

Everything points in the direction of my conclusion, which is that if Solder is going to be active on game day, he needs to be able to play other positions, which is why he's being given practice time at guard, which is what the coach said was the reason. People here are speculating other reasons for his being given time at guard, such as him now being in competition for the starting position there. I'm saying let's trust what the coach said, because it makes sense. If Solder loses the competition to Light for the staring role, he needs to have capability at at least one other position on the line in order to win one of the two backup roles on game day.

Are you suggesting that Maneri is ready to backup at LT and RT?

I don't know what he's ready to do at this point. What I'm saying is that there are two active game day backup positions to be won, after the starting five are determined. The players who will be awarded those two positions must be able to play multiple positions. It's what the coach said, and it makes sense.

Our best backed-up position on the OL is also the most important one: Left tackle.

Light and Vollmer can play there.
Solder had been practicing there.
Mankins can move over in pinch.

As for Connolly, I think guys like him and Hochstein are perfectly decent starters if they don't actually have to start the whole season, and hence can balance freshness against raw athleticism. But I'd be a little nervous about how he's going to play if he has to do it for all 19 games.

You know my position on Connolly, but this could be a situation where the Patriots just want Solder to get work at different spots, or just don't like the interior depth and want Solder to get some work there. We'd probably know more if Cannon were healthy.

Having said that, a line of

Light
Mankins
Koppen
Solder
Vollmer

would be interesting to watch. Charting Brady's throws on each side, with all that height on the right, would be an NFL stat geek's dream.

Good thing Brady is tall. Can you imagine Flutie trying to throw over that right side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back