Patriots 2010 Pre-Draft Review - Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
OFFENSE:

QB - Brady, Hoyer, Stanback, Rowe- O’Connell didn’t make it out of TC. Neither did Gutierrez or Walter. Brian Hoyer looks to be another find. Stanback was brought in during the season to the practice squad because the Pats agreed to use him there. Something that Dallas refused to do. Stanback, however, was pressed into action as a WR after Galloway failed and Edelman broke his arm. Jeff Rowe was signed to the practice squad and since a future’s contract.

RBLaurence Maroney, Kevin Faulk, Fred Taylor, Sammie Morris, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Eric Kettani– The Pats brought in Fred Taylor last year to give them 5 RBs. Morris and Taylor both spent significant time injured, though. Maroney stepped up, but didn’t get to 200 carries because the running game seemed to be forgotten in several games. Maroney also seemed to catch fumblitis at the end of the season, losing 4 fumbles, 2 in the red zone. Maroney is entering his contract year. At 25, this is the year he needs to shine if he wants a payday. Taylor and Morris worked well on the field, though both failed in key short-yardage situations.

BJGE is the new Ray Ventrone/Bam Childress. Guy has a lot of heart, but just not a lot of skill. BJGE didn’t get a lot of carries when both Taylor and Morris were injured. He spent more time as a FB than he did as a RB.

Eric Kettani had been on the Reserve/Military List and is eligible to come to camp. He’ll be pushing BJGE and whomever else the Pats bring in. Many Pats fans feel that the Pats should draft a RB in the 1st or 2nd round. Names like C.J. Spiller, Ryan Matthews, Jonathan Dwyer, Jahvid Best, and Ben Tate are thrown around.

FB – NONE – The Pats rotated quite a few guys through the FB position, including Connolly and LaVoir. There are a couple of FBs in this draft that people are high on. Clay Harbor is more of an H-back, but he has the potential to be a Larry Centers type FB out of the backfield, though Harbor is a better blocker.

O-Line – Matt Light, Nick Kaczur, Dan Koppen, Stephen Neal, Sebastian Vollmer, Rich Orhnberger, George Bussey, Dan Connolly, Ryan Wendell, Mark LaVoir – Vollmer was the star of the 2009 draft for the Pats. He stepped in and showed that he’ll be able to be a starting LT in this league in the coming years. Matt Light is the LT and it’s his position to lose. Kaczur had a horrible year, for the most part. Connolly showed that he’s a competent JAG. Wendell and Bussey spent their time on the PS and IR respectively. Ohrnberger is a questionmark in that he doesn’t seem to have the size that the Pats want at RG. He seems to have the size for center, but Koppen was tossed around quite a bit this season as they are the same size. Koppen had a disappointing season and, with the injuries he’s suffered, could be on the back side of his career.

Stephen Neal was re-signed though there had be talks of possible retirement. If he can stay healthy (BIG IF), Neal is one of the best guards in the league.

I think that the Pats will look at Jon Asamoah, Mike Johnson (G-Alabama) or possibly Marshall Newhouse (G-TCU) later in the draft. For Center, the pickings are extremely slim. I don’t see Pouncey being a Patriots type center. Mike Tennant, or Eddie Adamski could be mid to late round additions. OTs who the Pats could consider moving inside include Rogers Saffold, Vlad Ducasse, Andrew Tyshovnysky, and Tyler Eastman.

TE –Alge Crumpler, Robbie Agnone, Rob Myers– Clearly a need. Agnone spent the year on the PS IR. Myers took his spot there. Baker disappeared for much of the season and we now know he was a negative influence in the locker-room. Some of that was because the O-line was performing poorly, but some of it was also the play-calling. Alge Crumpler is a good blocker, better than either of Baker or Watson. Crumpler brings leadership to the position that hasn’t had it since Daniel Graham left for Denver. There is plenty of depth in this draft for the TE position. But I see guys like Dennis Pitta, Dorin ****erson, Tony Moeaki, Mickey Shuler, Jameson Konz, and Scott Sicko as fits for the Pats.

WR- Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Brandon Tate, Sam Aiken, Matt Slater, Darnell Jenkins, Tyree Barnes, Shun White –

The Pats took a big hit here when Welker went down against Houston. However, there might be a silver lining to this. One of the issues this year seemed to be that Brady had horse blinders on and wasn’t going through his progressions because he know that Welker would make the catch. Now, without Welker, Brady will be forced to look elsewhere.

That being said, Tate is returning from an injury. Whether it’s an injury to his left knee a new injury to his right knee, or just the old injury to the right knee, he’s a question mark.

Aiken proved why Buffalo was willing to let him go. He’s more miss than hit on actually catching a ball thrown to him.

Barnes and White are eligible to participate in camp and the season as they are coming off the Reserve/Military list. Jenkins spent time on the Pats practice squad and has since signed a future’s contract.

Edelman will probably start the season as the #2 with Welker being PuPed, unless the Pats bring in an established receiver. Edelman showed a LOT as a rookie. Both as a receiver and as a special teams player. And I expect big things from him going forward.

There are a lot of good WR prospects in this draft who are available from the 2nd round through the 7th. Some people swear that Golden Tate should be a Pat, but I disagree. I think that better values come from guys like Eric Decker, Arrelius Benn, Blair White, Emmanuel Sanders, Freddie Barnes, Scott Long, Andre Roberts and Marty Gilyard.

Last edited:
DaBruinz,

That is one of the best write-ups I've seen, and agree with most of what you say. Regarding your comment on Golden Tate, I agree, with one caveat. First, it was interesting that in the hands drill at the combine, he dropped 3 passes, and bobbled a 4th. How can he have great hands (as some say), and yet bobbles or drops most of the balls thrown to him in that drill? (Rhetorical question). That said, my caveat is that in watching film of him, that dude really performs on the YAC. He doesn't go down, and really gets the extra yardage. That part of his game impressed me. I like the other WRs you mention however.

As for Kazcur, he's not one of the best in the game, but I hardly saw him as "horrible". Pro Football Focus had him as the 28th out of 77 at his position, with no category in the grossly negative area. I do think he has improved every year, works hard at his craft/in the workouts, and may improve this year as well. I wish all our linemen were Pro Bowl caliber, like Mankins and Sea Bass, but Kazcur, IMHO is not horrible. Small point, because I loved this post by you.

The Pats took a big hit here when Welker went down against Houston. However, there might be a silver lining to this. One of the issues this year seemed to be that Brady had horse blinders on and wasn’t going through his progressions because he know that Welker would make the catch. Now, without Welker, Brady will be forced to look elsewhere.

After going to Gillette in 2009 to confirm my opinions from watching on TV which has limited viewing aspects, I watched Brady specificly for this tendency and called him on this troublesome behaviour. Folks here on Patsfans went ballistic at this observation. As a Brady's Lady from 2001 training camp where I saw him outplay starter Drew Bledsoe this development dissapointed me. Tom and maybe the entire offensive philosophy really needs a fresh look. We won championships without the exclusive focus on admitedly talented wideouts back when Brady spread the ball around. Admitedly this is problematic right now untill/unless we fill the gaping talent hole at 3rd WR opposite Moss.

Last edited:
After going to Gillette in 2009 to confirm my opinions from watching on TV which has limited viewing aspects, I watched Brady specificly for this tendency and called him on this troublesome behaviour. Folks here on Patsfans went ballistic at this observation. As a Brady's Lady from 2001 training camp where I saw him outplay starter Drew Bledsoe this development dissapointed me. Tom and maybe the entire offensive philosophy really needs a fresh look. We won championships without the exclusive focus on admitedly talented wideouts back when Brady spread the ball around. Admitedly this is problematic right now untill/unless we fill the gaping talent hole at 3rd WR opposite Moss.

If Torry Holt has anything left and is not just a dessicated corpse, we should see a bit more of the old Brady. We were seeing it when Galloway was still on the team. It stopped pretty abruptly when Aiken took over.

Last edited:
DaBruinz,

That is one of the best write-ups I've seen, and agree with most of what you say. Regarding your comment on Golden Tate, I agree, with one caveat. First, it was interesting that in the hands drill at the combine, he dropped 3 passes, and bobbled a 4th. How can he have great hands (as some say), and yet bobbles or drops most of the balls thrown to him in that drill? (Rhetorical question). That said, my caveat is that in watching film of him, that dude really performs on the YAC. He doesn't go down, and really gets the extra yardage. That part of his game impressed me. I like the other WRs you mention however.

As for Kazcur, he's not one of the best in the game, but I hardly saw him as "horrible". Pro Football Focus had him as the 28th out of 77 at his position, with no category in the grossly negative area. I do think he has improved every year, works hard at his craft/in the workouts, and may improve this year as well. I wish all our linemen were Pro Bowl caliber, like Mankins and Sea Bass, but Kazcur, IMHO is not horrible. Small point, because I loved this post by you.
What he said about Nick.

Kettani, White, and Barnes won't be eligible until May of 2011 - at the earliest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes