Patriots 2010 Off-season Offense Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
OFFENSE:

QB - Brady, Hoyer, Stanback, Rowe- O’Connell didn’t make it out of TC. Neither did Gutierrez or Walter. Brian Hoyer looks to be another find. Stanback was brought in during the season to the practice squad because the Pats agreed to use him there. Something that Dallas refused to do. Stanback, however, was pressed into action as a WR after Galloway failed and Edelman broke his arm. Jeff Rowe was signed to the practice squad and since a future’s contract.

RB – Laurence Maroney, Fred Taylor, Sammie Morris, BenJarvus Gren-Ellis, Eric Kettani– The Pats brought in Fred Taylor last year to give them 5 RBs. Morris and Taylor both spent significant time injured, though. Maroney stepped up, but didn’t get to 200 carries because the running game seemed to be forgotten in several games. Maroney also seemed to catch fumblitis at the end of the season, losing 4 fumbles, 2 in the red zone. Maroney is entering his contract year. At 25, this is the year he needs to shine if he wants a payday. Taylor and Morris worked well on the field, though both failed in key situations.

BJGE is the new Ray Ventrone/Bam Childress. Guy has a lot of heart, but just not a lot of skill. BJGE didn’t get a lot of carries when both Taylor and Morris were injured. He spent more time as a FB than he did as a RB.

Eric Kettani had been on the Reserve/Military List and is eligible to come to camp. He’ll be pushing BJGE and whomever else the Pats bring in.

FB – NONE – The Pats rotated quite a few guys through the FB position, including Connolly and LaVoir.

O-Line – Matt Light, Nick Kaczur, Dan Koppen, Sebastian Vollmer, Rich Orhnberger, George Bussey, Dan Connolly, Ryan Wendell, Mark LaVoir – Vollmer was the start of the 2009 draft for the Pats. He stepped in and showed that he’ll be able to be a starting LT in this league in the coming years. Matt Light is the LT and it’s his position to lose. Kaczur had a horrible year, for the most part. Connolly showed that he’s a competent JAG. Wendell and Bussey spent their time on the PS and IR respectively. Ohrnberger is a questionmark in that he doesn’t seem to have the size that the Pats want at RG. He seems to have the size for center, but Koppen was tossed around quite a bit this season as they are the same size. Koppen had a disappointing season and, with the injuries he’s suffered, could be on the back side of his career.

TE –Cam Baker, Robbie Agnone, Rob Myers– Clearly a need. Agnone spent the year on the PS IR. Myers took his spot there. Baker disappeared for much of the season. Some of that was because the O-line was performing poorly, but some of it was also the play-calling.

WR- Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Brandon Tate, Sam Aiken, Matt Slater, Darnell Jenkins, Tyree Barnes, Shun White

The Pats took a big hit here when Welker went down against Houston. However, there might be a silver lining to this. One of the issues this year seemed to be that Brady had horse blinders on and wasn’t going through his progressions because he know that Welker would make the catch. Now, without Welker, Brady will be forced to look elsewhere.

That being said, Tate is returning from an injury. Whether it’s an injury to his left new, a new injury to his right knee, or just the old injury to the right knee, he’s a question mark.

Aiken proved why Buffalo was willing to let him go. He’s more miss than hit on actually catching a ball thrown to him.

Barnes and White are eligible to participate in camp and the season as they are coming off the Reserve/Military list. Jenkins spent time on the Pats practice squad and has since signed a future’s contract.

Edelman will probably start the season as the #2 with Welker being PuPed, unless the Pats bring in an established receiver.. Edelman showed a LOT as a rookie. Both as a receiver and as a special teams player. And I expect big things from him going forward.

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see what the interior of the OL is going to look like next year. The tackles are set w/ Light, Vollmer, Kazcur, Levoir. HOPEFULLY Mankins is retained or this area is a major concern. Neal I'm betting won't be back, regardless he is too injury prone to not move on and address this position. Koppen is also a concern. Wonder if Kazcur or Levoir would work at G and that allows us to focus on C in this draft(haven't seen the FA list for either position). With all the needs on D and the need for a WR not sure if both can be addressed or maybe if we'll rough it out with Koppen one more year.

I'll be honest. I don't think Kaczur has the nastiness needed to play guard. I'd rather trade Kaczur and bring in another guard or tackle.

I can see Matt Light or Mankins being moved over to RG before Kaczur..

I'll be honest. I don't think Kaczur has the nastiness needed to play guard. I'd rather trade Kaczur and bring in another guard or tackle.

I can see Matt Light or Mankins being moved over to RG before Kaczur..

I think Kaczur would make a much better RG than RT. I agree he could use a bit more nastiness, but I think that he just lacks the ability to handle speed rushers from the outside. Having Vollmer next to him, I think he would be a terrific guard.

Even if he is just adequate at RG, we should show improvement on the OL.

I think Kaczur would make a much better RG than RT. I agree he could use a bit more nastiness, but I think that he just lacks the ability to handle speed rushers from the outside. Having Vollmer next to him, I think he would be a terrific guard.

I agree, he has more strengh than quickness, and thats what guards need, and he is heavier than Neal, he would be a good G, but i don't know if he'd be terrific though.

I agree, he has more strengh than quickness, and thats what guards need, and he is heavier than Neal, he would be a good G, but i don't know if he'd be terrific though.

I'm not sure he'd be a terrific RG, but I think he'd be more than adequate. What I said was "having Vollmer next to him, I think he'd be a terrific RG". Vollmer at RT is more than capable of handling almost anything by himself without needing much help, allowing Kaczur to help out Koppen with the interior pass rush. Neal, on the other hand, had to help out both Koppen and Kaczur, which was a far more challenging assignment.

I'm not sure he'd be a terrific RG, but I think he'd be more than adequate. What I said was "having Vollmer next to him, I think he'd be a terrific RG". Vollmer at RT is more than capable of handling almost anything by himself without needing much help, allowing Kaczur to help out Koppen with the interior pass rush. Neal, on the other hand, had to help out both Koppen and Kaczur, which was a far more challenging assignment.

If Neals gone then it will be an interesting camp competion for RG. I would be surprised if Kaczur didn't get some reps there. On the other hand, I would also draft the next stud center and have him work tryout at RG for 1 year (if Kaczure cant win the job / if Ornberger doesn't progress. Then while that stud is 'subbing' in a right guard and learning the game at the pro level - he will be learning the line calls and be ready to step in as the center starter in 2011. Koppen will be done by then - by hook or by krook. Are there any good prospects for this with our 2nd round picks this draft? (Is a theoretical question as this is not the draft section).

If Neals gone then it will be an interesting camp competion for RG. I would be surprised if Kaczur didn't get some reps there. On the other hand, I would also draft the next stud center and have him work tryout at RG for 1 year (if Kaczure cant win the job / if Ornberger doesn't progress. Then while that stud is 'subbing' in a right guard and learning the game at the pro level - he will be learning the line calls and be ready to step in as the center starter in 2011. Koppen will be done by then - by hook or by krook. Are there any good prospects for this with our 2nd round picks this draft? (Is a theoretical question as this is not the draft section).

Maurkice Pouncey is the obvious possibility, and opinions are divided on him. No one else that I can see comes close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes