PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots: #12 ranked defense in the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott Pioli Who :confused2:

i get your point... but it's not like pioli layed an egg

his team has gone from picking at what? 6 or 7 to winning their division...

He also can make claims to one of the best draft classes this year with berry, moaki, mcluster et al

Very true...I guess my thought is we can't get too high during good stretches or too low during the bad one's. The defense has certainly been better lately--especially the secondary--but alot of that has to do with the opposition and the QB's they've faced. I think they'll perform better against the Manning's and Brees's of the world than they would have in week 1, but they're still not world beaters.
Al they need to do is win. Coulda, shoulda, woulda is stupid.

13-2 against a very tough schedule does not deserve a 'because of the competition' qualifier.

This game marks 27 more times the defense has given the ball to Brady than the opponent has possessed it. Spot Brady 2 extra possessions a game-- priceless :D

"Peaking" might be too strong a word. Continuing to get better would be a better description. This defense has a LONG way to go before it becomes a strong or dominant defense. Right now I'm satisfied that its become a much better "scoring D" and continues to get better.
I'm sure he was talking about just this year, and they are most certainly peaking. They were never going to become a dominant defense this year, not with all the 1st and 2nd year players on there and injuries. Didn't you hear, this was supposed to be a transition year

i get your point... but it's not like pioli layed an egg

his team has gone from picking at what? 6 or 7 to winning their division...

He also can make claims to one of the best draft classes this year with berry, moaki, mcluster et al

You took the words right out on my mouth, jsull87 . Pioli has done a bang up job for KC thus far.

Hold on...I defend this team to the death and believe the defense has taken huge steps forward the past 16 weeks, but when they were ranked in the mid-20's I heard ton's of people say PPG meant nothing. Now when they're 12th in the league all of a sudden that stat tells us something? Because they beat up on Sanchez, Culter and Fitzgerald? Just a week ago people were worried about what Flynn's success meant in the grand scheme of things.

My thought: screw PPG, it tells you very little about a defense. Look at results: they can still be awful on 3rd downs at times, they're a very opportunistic defense in the mold of the '03/'04 squads, and while they still scare me at times you can see immense improvement from the 'core' young guys that will hopefully blossom into stars. Lots and lots to look forward to with this defense.

I agree with this.. PPG doesn't say much. This is still one of the worst pass defense in the league (statistically) and quite frankly, I'm not confident about their ability to shut down QB's like Manning or Brees in a big game.

Pioli has done well in drafting at KC and Tom Dimittrof has done well at Atlanta. BB's tree have excelled as GMs.

I want to celebrate Bill Belichick's finest coaching effort ever. He knew he needed to rebuild so he assumed the jobs of OC & DC, since his planned future OC & DC need seasoning too. He wanted to ensure his Entire team including coaches, learned the right foundations.

When you think about it, Belichick took the equivalent of an expansion club composed of rookies and 2nd year players, with an ample addition of free agent castoffs, and undrafted free agents and turned them into a feared winner. He coached the Patriots into the best record in the League. He deserves the annual award of Coach of the Year, and more. He is certainly the Coach of the Decade.

He is favored to send his Patriots to 5 Super Bowl appearances in 9 years.

Not bad at all.

Last edited:
Before people just keep on repeating what other people say, Pioli has done a good job drafting this year. His 2009 class was terrible.

When you think about it, Belichick took the equivalent of an expansion club composed of rookies and 2nd year players, with an ample addition of free agent castoffs, and undrafted free agents and turned them into a feared winner. He coached the Patriots into the best record in the League. He deserves the annual award of Coach of the Year, and more. He is certainly the Coach of the Decade.

He's done an excellent job this year, perhaps one of his best. But don't forget the HOF QB that just happened to find himself on this "expansion club."

I agree with this.. PPG doesn't say much. This is still one of the worst pass defense in the league (statistically) and quite frankly, I'm not confident about their ability to shut down QB's like Manning or Brees in a big game.

PPG is one of the meaningful stat's if you are into stat's. YPG is one of the most meaningless.

meaningful stat's:
1 W-L
2. Offensive PPG scored
3. Defensive PPG given up
4. Giveaway-Takeaways
5. Red zone Offense and Defense.

All other stat's are not that meaningful. Ask the SD Super Chargers if you don't believe me.

This is not baseball.

BB's hard work and commitment paid off. Kudos to Pats D for believing and understanding Pat's way of playing. Best thing is "D" is young and will get even better not to mention those draft picks.

PPG is one of the meaningful stat's if you are into stat's. YPG is one of the most meaningless.

meaningful stat's:
1 W-L
2. Offensive PPG scored
3. Defensive PPG given up
4. Giveaway-Takeaways
5. Red zone Offense and Defense.

All other stat's are not that meaningful. Ask the SD Super Chargers if you don't believe me.

This is not baseball.

You're in denial. remember, games are decided by the amount of yards you gain, not by points.:confused:

Never understood why analysts touted yards per game as the number 1 d. Points are the most important plain and simple.

As for Pioli...his draft last year stunk, this year was good but it helps when you have the top 5 pick in each round.

Never understood why analysts touted yards per game as the number 1 d. Points are the most important plain and simple.

As for Pioli...his draft last year stunk, this year was good but it helps when you have the top 5 pick in each round.

It's just the old way of doing things I suppose. It's no different than in baseball, where OBP is a superior stat to batting average, but the newspaper box scores still list BA first and it's the first number to come up on TV graphics. It's stupid, it doesn't make sense, but that's what they know so that's what they stick with.

I want to celebrate Bill Belichick's finest coaching effort ever. He knew he needed to rebuild so he assumed the jobs of OC & DC, since his planned future OC & DC need seasoning too. He wanted to ensure his Entire team including coaches, learned the right foundations.

He is favored to send his Patriots to 5 Super Bowl appearances in 9 years.

Not bad at all.

I would have to go with 2001 as best coaching job so far, but I agree that this is another classic example so far. Need to win it all to compare to 2001 IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back