PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 11th straight winning season!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yoo hoo!! Mabel???...:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

good Lord...Carling Black Label....Friday night was always an adventure when I was a teen...we'd scrape together five bucks between six of us (heh...yeah...tell me about it)and then make the all important budgetary decision....Schaeffer, Black Label or Naggarancid (Narragansett)...sometimes we'd beg another buck off an older brother or someone's sister and splurge on Schlitz...the best part is...NOBODY EVER bought, drank or even THOUGHT about Pabst Blue Ribbon...that was Yankmee beer...outness....completely...you get caught with Pabst you get a beatin'...heh...that's how deep the rivalry runs between NE and New York

A tremendously entertaining insane person.

It's criminal that a movie wasn't made about him. You had to think that being electrified was a sign of what was to come.

But he went out on a good note- his final coaching job was some Maritime Academy where he went out on a 8-1 note never to coach football again. he ended up being a car salesman at the time of his death. God bless him.

Perhaps the best Clive Rush anecdote is one of the least mentioned:

Billy Sullivan chose him over some guy named Chuck Noll, who then signed on with his backup option, the Pittsburgh Steelers.

My favorite is when they announced over the PA that they wanted Bob Gladieux to come down from the stands and suit up for a game.

Although, not to be outdone by that, the previous season McKeever suggest drafting a WR that nobody knew had been dead for 6 months.

I was at this game...saw the commotion from about 50 yards away...heh...beautiful..

tumblr_ld8cilzTpZ1qdvr71o1_500.jpg

Last edited:
It's criminal that a movie wasn't made about him. You had to think that being electrified was a sign of what was to come.

But he went out on a good note- his final coaching job was some Maritime Academy where he went out on a 8-1 note never to coach football again. he ended up being a car salesman at the time of his death. God bless him.

He did get help and lived a normal life, RIP. His abnormal life on the Pats was just so fascinating it's too bad no one really chronicled it besides McDonough and he's gone too.

Yoo hoo!! Mabel???...:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

good Lord...Carling Black Label....Friday night was always an adventure when I was a teen...we'd scrape together five bucks between six of us (heh...yeah...tell me about it)and then make the all important budgetary decision....Schaeffer, Black Label or Naggarancid (Narragansett)...sometimes we'd beg another buck off an older brother or someone's sister and splurge on Schlitz...the best part is...NOBODY EVER bought, drank or even THOUGHT about Pabst Blue Ribbon...that was Yankmee beer...outness....completely...you get caught with Pabst you get a beatin'...heh...that's how deep the rivalry runs between NE and New York

hey mabel, black label ! on the shores of lake cochituate.

as kids , we actually went to the man made lake there for picnics. i don't even know if it's there anymore. as for the pats and the early afl, i loved it. bambi, otis taylor, speedy duncan, cookie gilchrist, and the hated raiders. and jim nance was a beast. the hayday of the afl. man, what memories. i remember fred dryer refusing to report to the pats after a trade. that ticked me off. plunkett to bob windsor and his boy from stanford, vataha, was a thing of beauty.

Us old school dudes remember when..

Was thinking this morning about in the 70's and 80's used to get the JC Penney and Sears Christmas catalog, and would always look for Patriots stuff.. but in those days the Cowboys, Giants and a few others were kings of merchandising..

Then came the 85 season, and I got my first Pats T-Shirt.. "Squish the fish".. but in reality no one really cares about that stuff..

I care ... I think I may still have the "Squish the Fish" T-Shirt! I go back to the days of pre-season practices at Phillips Academy in Andover and 6 preseason games!

Yes, I am an idiot and I like to see the Jets win. Does that make me a bad person?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dam this threads like the rock of the fan base from way back, lol.

I jumped on the bandwagon in 93, started watching football in general in 93. Growing up in NE you didn't have to watch the Pats to know how bad they were. You guy's are troopers, glad your enjoying the success, much deserved.

Go Pats!!!

16 seasons: Dallas Cowboys (1966-81)
16 seasons: San Francisco 49ers (1983-1998)
16 seasons: LA\Oak Raiders (1965-1980)
11 seasons: New England Patriots (2001-Present)
10 seasons: Pittsburgh Steelers (1972-1981)

NOTE: This is Super Bowl era only. I'm not sure if the somebody did it before the 14 game season.

Second note: SF won 10+ in all 16 seasons.

NOTE: This is Super Bowl era only. I'm not sure if the somebody did it before the 14 game season.

A couple of points stick out here.

-Pitt & NE enjoyed great success with one QB

-SF did it with two QBs (Montana and Young. Steve Bono in 1991 played very well)

-Dallas & OAK did it with three QBs (Meredith, Staubach and White and Lamonica, Stabler and Plunkett for OAK)

Not sure which is more impressive. NE doing in the FA/Salary cap era (SF cheated IMO by circumventing the cap for years) or Dallas/OAK by having great drafts and finding franchise/functional QBs for three decades.

Last edited:

I think that you have to separate post merger from pre merger. After the merger is when the modern NFL started. Prior to that, it was the old NFL and the AFL.

This is not to slight the records of the Raiders or the Cowboys. It just seems more credible when comparing, IMVHO.

Amen. It's great just to be in the conversation EVERY year. I can't imagine being a Browns fan and the season being over by week 6 every year.

Well, I'm a geezer from Ohio originally and I can tell you that between 1946 and 1955, the Cleveland Browns had 10 winning seasons in a row. In 1956, they had a losing season. But they followed that with THIRTEEN winning seasons in a row.

So, between 1946 and 1969, they had a single losing season.

And they won four NFL championships in that period, while losing nine championship games. Otto Graham was MVP three times and Jim Brown four times.

And that, ladies and gentleman, was a dynasty.

Of course, I haven't been a Browns fan in many years and I am now delighted with the Patriots. :)

Last edited:
I may have been a neophyte fan at the time, but trying to sell me on Mike Taliaferro as the new starting QB was one of my first WTF moments as a Pats fan; the other was trading Nick Buonoconti for a bunch of jags. I was big Babe Parilli fan and even though the Pats were coming off a bad year and Parilli was pretty old, there was no way the Pats could convince me, even at my rather young age at that time, that this career scrub backup with the Jets was either a short term or long term improvement over Parilli.

Joe Kapp on the other hand I will admit I got fooled on. I never envisioned a QB that had just gone 12-1 and went to the SB the previous year would throw fourteen more picks than touchdowns the very next year.

Joe Kapp never threw 14 INTs. He jump-shotputted them just like all his passes. If he could play in the NFL, then Tebow has a long career ahead of him.

I remember the days of Braves field, Fenway, Harvard, and the BC stands burning down, as well as "big time at last " Schaefer...

Mike Taliffero may have been a poor Jets scrub QB but he doesn't compare to the other Jets QB flotsam foisted on to Billy Sullivan? Whatever happened to Heisman winner Johnny Huarte? Did he ever throw a real pass in the NFL, ...er AFL?

I did...I HATED the Kapp move...what a boondoggle...aaaarrrggghhhhhh....you had to bring THAT up!!!!!

I saw Bo Nance run over four and five defenders back in the day...man, that AFL was something else...the Chargers were loaded...remember Lance Alworth and Hadl? Back then I was still a Giants fan, but the Pats had me at hello...all my friends told me.."man, that ain't real football in that league...it'll never go anywhere"...well, when the leagues merged, I washed myself of everything Giant ,bought season tickets and spent my misspent youth riding a rollercoaster that never once failed to surprise the hell out of me...jeez...I mean, **** McPherson for chrissakes....I sat up close behind the bench and watched his act all season....thought he walked out of central casting for a Cagney movie as Father Mulcahey or something...and Schaeffer beer???? Only freakin' Billy would sign a deal with the WORST friggin' tasting beer in drinking history...I STILL get headaches thinking about THOSE hangovers....I wouldn't trade a minute of the ride for ANY other team experience...the past ten years have been a reward as far as I'm concerned.

And a particularly big LIKE for the Father Mulcahey in a Cagney movie comparison. :rofl:

With the win yesterday, it locks in the 11th straight winning season for the Patriots.:rocker:

Maybe this is not a big deal for younger fans, but it is a very big deal for those, like me, who have been fans since 1970 or before.

I know that the Cowboys and 49ers had long streaks of winning seasons. I think the Steelers under both Cower and Noll had a couple of losing seasons mixed in with their great records.

11 straight winning seasons must put the Patriots in the top 5 of all time in this category. I can't look up right now so if anyone has a list of teams with the longest winning season streaks, I'd appreciate your posting it.

Yes it's great! I'm still pissed about "phantom" roughing'da passer call on Sugar Bear Hamilton in 1976 AFCCG VS Raiders On Stabler. Ahhhh but "Tuck Rule" was poetic justice as we went on Pats DyNASTY.

I think that you have to separate post merger from pre merger. After the merger is when the modern NFL started. Prior to that, it was the old NFL and the AFL.

This is not to slight the records of the Raiders or the Cowboys. It just seems more credible when comparing, IMVHO.

Even if you chop off a few years they are double digit streaks.

Many folks here actually believe this means nothing without translating to playoff wins and championships. But a winning season sure makes MY September-December a lot warmer and brighter.

Imagine life as a fan for many teams that are DOA come November. Or, like the lamentable New Jersey Green Beans, haven't even HAD a home playoff game in NINE YEARS! We really should count our blessings.

ah yes, when Wayne Chrebet and the Jets destroyed the Colts

anyways, I certainly do appreciate winning seasons. After all, last season we didn't win the big one but we still went 14-2, that's 14 Sundays of joy and only 2 letdowns. Pretty good if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes