PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriot Whispers from Profootballweekly

Status
Not open for further replies.
they are just whispers...and its evident...i mean really...the Pats and BB arnt stupid...how do u make Brandon better? the same way Sanders is now exceptional....u let him play, and then with in game experience and in game blunders, will it finally hit him...just like Sanders, it took him quite a while to get used to it, and look at him now....

When brandon is needed, he will play and learn and become a 1st round pick talent, not until then

now for Maroney, u cant say he cant do it unless he finally takes 20 plus carries in a game, and u see how he does, i mean really, has he EVER had more then 20 carries in a game? and he doesnt look tired to me on the sidelines when he has about 15-20 carries a game...

I wouldnt pay too much attention to these musings

I remain high on Meriweather. Lets see how he progresses from year 1 to year 2, which Belichick says is most important to judging a guy. Remember the leap Brady made?

But I have to admit, I didn't like the way Chris Cooley ran over Meriweather in the Redskins game.

J D Sal

they are just whispers...and its evident...i mean really...the Pats and BB arnt stupid...how do u make Brandon better? the same way Sanders is now exceptional....u let him play, and then with in game experience and in game blunders, will it finally hit him...just like Sanders, it took him quite a while to get used to it, and look at him now....

When brandon is needed, he will play and learn and become a 1st round pick talent, not until then

now for Maroney, u cant say he cant do it unless he finally takes 20 plus carries in a game, and u see how he does, i mean really, has he EVER had more then 20 carries in a game? and he doesnt look tired to me on the sidelines when he has about 15-20 carries a game...

I wouldnt pay too much attention to these musings

He had 20 vs the Jets. And then close to that in a couple other games. 15, 19...stuff like that.

Ha fair enough, my last comment came out with an unintentional negative tone.

That is why God gave us the gift of emoticons.:D :eek: :rocker:

I remain high on Meriweather. Lets see how he progresses from year 1 to year 2, which Belichick says is most important to judging a guy. Remember the leap Brady made?

But I have to admit, I didn't like the way Chris Cooley ran over Meriweather in the Redskins game.

J D Sal

I hope everyone remains high on him because he was a top draft pick with plenty of talent.

I agree the Cooley play was dissapointing but he was coming into a game late and wasn't up to the speed at which it was being played. Still a cheap excuse but i'm sure if he were to do it over again the outcome would be different. I hope.

Randy Moss is on the bubble!

The thing about Maroney is this - if the guy can't run through defenses this year like Warren Sapp chasing a cheeseburger, then when is he? It's a spread offense with defenses keying on the pass/pass/pass and we do have a good offensive line, make no doubt about it. In a offense that is balanced, I don't see LM being all that affective, unlike a Marion Barber, he just looks like one of those backs that's afraid of contact. He might be more athletic, but I can actually appreciate a guy like Morris who hits the hole and wants to pile drive through people. The irony of it is that the guy still gets hurt on limited carries with a finesse style - much more than the average back. Let's get McFadden baby!!!

The thing about Maroney is this - if the guy can't run through defenses this year like Warren Sapp chasing a cheeseburger, then when is he? It's a spread offense with defenses keying on the pass/pass/pass and we do have a good offensive line, make no doubt about it. In a offense that is balanced, I don't see LM being all that affective, unlike a Marion Barber, he just looks like one of those backs that's afraid of contact. He might be more athletic, but I can actually appreciate a guy like Morris who hits the hole and wants to pile drive through people. The irony of it is that the guy still gets hurt on limited carries with a finesse style - much more than the average back. Let's get McFadden baby!!!

yea, our Oline is good, but its run blocking this year HAS been horrible...make no doubts about it...we cant afford McFadden, and i dont think we need him either

exactly. same site that said "Randy Moss may be cut..not the player Patriots expected in camp"

No, it's not the same site at all. That was profootballtalk.com. Profootballweekly is a print magazine with a website. I still don't agree with their POV, and hope they're wrong.

No!!! Maroney and Meriweather are not playing a lot because they dont need to!!! Right?

BS.. Nice of you to twist people's words around. But that is typical of someone who couldn't win an argument on its own merits.

Maroney is a top five back according to some on this board :rolleyes:

No one said Maroney was a top 5 back. Nice of you to make things up.

I love the Meriweather excuse makers more. " Meriweather is behind Baker on the depth chart because the pats want it that way"! Yea right!

Ty Warren was 4th on the depth chart his rookie year. Wilfork was 2nd. Samuel was 4th. Tom Brady was 4th. Bruschi was a nickle end his rookie year. Graham wasn't a starter. Neither was Watson.

People like you are part of the "Chicken Little" Brigade.

Not going to be possible. They just cant afford to sign both Moss and Samuel. Look at the deal Nate Clements got, and then ask yourself "would Assante take LESS??

I think we all know the answer (unfortunately).

This is false. The Pats can, MOST CERTAINLY sign both Moss and Samuel. And a top 5 pick if that is what they end up with from San Fran. And that is all without asking Brady to restructure his contract.

1) Colvin extension
2) Stallworth renegotiation or opt out of his contract
3) Washington renegotiation or opt out of his contract
4) Push money from this year into next year to cover NLTBE bonuses.

This is false. The Pats can, MOST CERTAINLY sign both Moss and Samuel. And a top 5 pick if that is what they end up with from San Fran. And that is all without asking Brady to restructure his contract.

1) Colvin extension
2) Stallworth renegotiation or opt out of his contract
3) Washington renegotiation or opt out of his contract
4) Push money from this year into next year to cover NLTBE bonuses.

Wouldn't that result in "CAP-HELL" in the future though?

About Maroney, I've read that men reach their physical peak when they're in their mid-20s. Maybe that's why BB is using him somewhat sparingly. I also think BB expects the playoffs to be more defensive in nature and wants to be sure Maroney is in top form for them. I think it's a good idea. After all, both the Colts and Eagles have demonstrated that we may not be not invincible and to win the SB, BB will want to be able to use his full playbook. Lastly, why risk Maroney now when we're in the driver's seat? If we lose a game or two before the playoffs, perhaps BB will use Maroney more.

Clements wont get $80 million in 8 years..its esentially a 6 year deal i believe with less than that

and Asante never said "i want the deal he got".

He got $22.6 million in guaranteed money, including two $10 million roster bonuses ('07 and '08).

His cap charge in '07 is $11.1 million. The final two years of the deal pay out $27.25 million, including $16 million in 2014, a year that gets voided if he receives the $10 million roster bonus in 2008. Essentially then, the deal would be for seven years, $64.02 million, or six years (approx) $53m.

Maybe Asante never actually came out in said it (verbally)... But make no mistake about it, Clements set the market. Samuel's agent would be a fool to even consider a lower starting point. One could make the argument that Asante is the best CB in the NFL.

BS.. Nice of you to twist people's words around. But that is typical of someone who couldn't win an argument on its own merits.

No one said Maroney was a top 5 back. Nice of you to make things up.

Ty Warren was 4th on the depth chart his rookie year. Wilfork was 2nd. Samuel was 4th. Tom Brady was 4th. Bruschi was a nickle end his rookie year. Graham wasn't a starter. Neither was Watson.

People like you are part of the "Chicken Little" Brigade.

Plenty of people have said exactly what I posted my friend. Posters have said Maroney does not play because he does not have to do to our big leads. Some have also said he was a top five back do to his ypc compared to everyone else.

Other posters have also said Meriweather was fine and there was nothing to worry about. he does not see any snaps because he does not need to. Meriweather is buried in the depth chart because he is not picking up the system imo. He gets few to no snaps when we are up by 30 points. Not a good sign. Thats my opinion and I am entitled to it. Just becuase you say its wrong does not mean it is.

I do not need to provide any links. My opinion stands , and you can disagree. Thats about it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the first bit. Maroney's strong point IS his open field quickness, those runs versus the Bengals last year and the YouTube clip of him against Wisconsin being perfect examples. I think the reason why we're seeing more of Faulk is because he's a better blocker at this point.

Of course Maroney has quickness, but he's not Faulk quick IMO.

Maroney has more track speed, but I do associate "quickeness" with the speed off the line, and then ability to change direction quickly.

We know Maroney is not Marion Butts on the quickness scale, but I would still take Faulk over him for that one attribute in isolation.

Once either of them gets open space I would expect Maroney to accelerate to a faster speed. He never gets into that kind of space though.

as much as you want to be hopeful and optimistic... i kinda believe those rumors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes