PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriot Whispers from Profootballweekly

Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone else think this sounds like a bunch of made-up crap??QUOTE]

No.

Haven't you noticed that Meriweather hasn't been on the field?

Haven't you noticed that Laurence gets about as many snaps as Grandma Moses and was playing second fiddle to Sammy Morris?

I also noticed the final part of the PFW quote on Meriweather "However, because he is just a rookie, the Pats remain hopeful that he will eventually develop into a quality player." and find this to be most likely. If he was needed this year - he would be getting attention from the coaches and a crash course as Randall "Blue" Gay, Hank Poteat, Earthwind (and fire) Moreland, Rabih Abdullah, Antwan Harris, and others have received when it was needed. Brandon would be much further along if indeed he was needed.

As for Maroney - hard to figure it all out, but I do know this - that touchdown he scored last Sunday was HUGE - It would have been very difficult to pass for the TD at that time the way the Eagles were playing us and he came in and ran that ball, with authority when needed the most. If your going to knock and question what is going on with him ( as I did), credit must also be given when deserved.

Faulk being quicker than Maroney is laughable.
Is it? Do you know the difference between quickness and speed?

If you said Faulk was quicker than Welker I'd take a minute to think about that one. Maroney's quickness is good, but not in the category of Faulk.

I dont get it.
These 'whispers' are some guys guesses from drawing conclusions from outside.
There is no POSSIBLE WAY that the comments about 'how they fit in' or their toughness, or needing to gain weight, or concern about giving carries, or anything like that comes out of anyone in Foxboro. ZERO CHANCE.

As far as the players and the criticism of them here:

Is it a good thing that Meriwhether has not earned more playing time? No.
Is it a disaster? No.

It is VERY common for rookies to be in the position Meriwhether is in. If he were on a crappy team, he would be starting. Because he is on a great team, it is harder to get on the field. Sure Baker has played ahead of him, and that could be a concern. But, if we were a mediocre team, Meriwether would be playing a lot, and we would be willing to take the lumps of him learning on the job. Since we are a great team trying to win a Championship, it is reasonable to rely on a lesser talented, more experienced guy more than a rookie.
When you are mediocre it is more important to allow the more talented youngster to make mistakes while learning. When you fighting for championships, you may be better with a steadier, less talented vet in a supporting reserve role.
This is ABSOLUTELY a factor in playing time for all of our younger players.
A) There are better players in front of them
B) There is more to lose from rookie mistakes, or more realistically the RISK of rookie mistakes.

What does that add up to. A FACT.
The "I think rookies should be immediate stars" crowd will be disappointed in our rookies as long as we are a great team. They will love our rookies when we stink.

Ty Warren would have been a 'bust' as a rookie in most peoples eyes if Ted Washington didnt get injured.
Vince Wilfork split time with Keith freaking Traylor and many fans thought we were doomed when we cut that fat load.
Asante Samuel struggled to get on the field as a rookie, clearly stuck behind Ty Poole.
Maroney was a backup as a rookie behind an aging and slow Corey Dillon. Because Dillon was better? Um, no, because he'd still be here if that were the case. But because he was a rookie and wasn't NEEDED as much as if we had no veteran option.
Chad Jackson was behind veteran players. Because he stunk? No. becasue he was a rookie.

As far as Maroney, I dont get the criticsm.
Would you be happier if our passing game wasnt killing every team we played, and we needed to run more? Would you be happier if we didn't have Kevin Faulk, so we were forced to use a 2nd year player from a run only college program in the passing game? Is Maroney inept in the passing game? I doubt it. Is Faulk EXCELLENT in the passing game, and a reliable vet? yes. So we dont HAVE TO play Maroney as much. Is that a knock on Maroney? ABSOLUTELY NOT.
Would it be better if Maroney never was injured in his career, instead of having 2 separate injuries that are in no way chronic? Sure. But it has absolutely zero impact on the rest of his career.

I guess it goes back to the old saying "Some people would complain if you hung them with a brand new rope" OUR SUCCESS and talent creates the fact that there are so many great players our young guys will not have the opportunities that other teams young guys do. That doesnt make them worse, that makes the Patriots better.

I can't believe I bought a Maroney jersey last year, even if it was on a deal. He is such a piece of garbage.

Sure we can all make assumptions but do you really think someone within the organizations said the Pats have "soured" on Meriweather and Maroney isn't "tough." They don't ever say anything but now they are telling you negative feelings about players when they are 11-0? These are assumptions made by writers trying to make a living.

Jman I do know the difference between speed and quickness. Maroney is both faster and quicker than Faulk. Don't get me wrong i like Faulk a lot but if a play isn't perfectly blocked for him he doesn't really make anyone miss. He is a solid smart player who has made some great plays but he is not even close to as quick as Maroney. I know it is a popular time to bash Maroney but he is 10 times more athletic than Faulk. That's just the way it is, sorry.

Last edited:
Jman I do know the difference between speed and quickness. Maroney is both faster and quicker than Faulk. Don't get me wrong but i like Faulk a lot but if a play isn't perfectly blocked for him he doesn't really make anyone miss. He is a solid smart player who has made some great plays but he is not even close to as quick as Maroney. I know it is a popular time to bash Maroney but he is 10 times more athletic than Faulk. That's just the way it is, sorry.

I don't bash Maroney. I REALLY like Maroney. Read some of my posts. Maroney's number 1, the future, and Faulk is third down and spread offense back. Hopefully, he's teaching the spread offense to Lomo.:rocker:

I just REALLY like Faulk more.:D

Expect to see Kevin Faulk as the Patriots’ running back when they go to four-wide alignments. Faulk has better open-field quickness than Laurence Maroney, and the Pats are growing increasingly less fond of giving Maroney a full workload. We hear they’re beginning to doubt Maroney’s toughness and don’t see him as a 20-plus-carry running back.

I'm not sure about the first bit. Maroney's strong point IS his open field quickness, those runs versus the Bengals last year and the YouTube clip of him against Wisconsin being perfect examples. I think the reason why we're seeing more of Faulk is because he's a better blocker at this point.

I'm not sure about the first bit. Maroney's strong point IS his open field quickness, those runs versus the Bengals last year and the YouTube clip of him against Wisconsin being perfect examples. I think the reason why we're seeing more of Faulk is because he's a better blocker at this point.

BB's always liked Vets more.
A. Smith
Corey Dillon
Morris and Faulk

Lomo will grow on him. :rocker:

See that double side-step at 1:18?
:rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

Quick little bugger. It doesn't take many games to realize he's our shiftiest player.

Quick little bugger. It doesn't take many games to realize he's our shiftiest player.

Good one. Jman had a nice video though, if only we got to play the 98' crimson tide twice a year. :rolleyes:

Good one. Jman had a nice video though, if only we got to play the 98' crimson tide twice a year. :rolleyes:

We play them 6 times a year.
They disguise themselves as the AFC East.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back