PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriot psychology and play...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snarf

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Last night's game reminded me a lot of what we've seen over the past 8 years or so...

They either have REALLY fantastic games or REALLY crappy games. We see it all the time... the Pats are playing great, and then they lose by 30 points. Or they score a zillion points in a season and then fall apart in a single game. Fairly consistently, however that first drive goes tends to dictate whether the Pats will mope around and get run over or whether they will stand up and crush their opponent.

I've watched a lot of football, and the Pats seem to me to be by far the most bi-polar team in the league.

Am I completely imagining things, or do the Pats seem to collectively act euphoric or depressed/lethargic in any given game? I can't think of very many games recently where they have played "average". It always seems to be some extreme.

If I'm not imagining things, then what could be causing it? Why was our pass protection brilliant last week and pathetic last night? Was Cinci THAT much better than the Eagles?

Last edited:
It is a preseason game. The coaching staff is tinkering around with various packes and assignments for the players to see what works and what doesn't work. The team was playing to those assignments, not trying to win the game as if it were the Super Bowl.

There. Hope that helps you and others. :cool: For the record, I do have my worries on a few smaller issues as well. But I'm not going to panic that the team is going to be horrible this year based on a preseason game. You shouldn't either. :)

The Patriots are, without a doubt, one of the least "bi-polar" teams in the NFL and it's been that way since 2001. I can't think of many examples of them playing great one week and then losing by 30 points the next week. They're a consistent team. Aside from most of 2007, they've rarely been the type of team that overwhelms and dominates the opponents en route to victory. They rarely lose in blowout fashion and even in defeat they are almost always competitive. I don't really know where you're getting this idea from and I don't know why some people make such a big deal about a 7-6 loss in a preseason game in which the starters played all of two series.

That embarrassing blow out in a preseason game last night has rattled some cages today. Either we've not watched the same team or this is a strange view on the Patriots in the past eight years.

I'm not worried. It's pre-season. It is what it is. The games don't count.

Remember all the homers jumping off the Tobin bridge after watching Cassel's performance in the pre-season last year?

Have another shot, go back on yer meds, and come back in a couple weeks when the real season begins.

It's gonna be fine. Honest! :cool:

People need to step back from the edge, it was only the second pre season game.. usually a game that showcases a lot of new players, new packages... everything will be ok.. keep repeating..

Do not think the pats are bi-polar, but have always felt that they played to the level of competition..

People need to step back from the edge, it was only the second pre season game.. usually a game that showcases a lot of new players, new packages... everything will be ok.. keep repeating..

Do not think the pats are bi-polar, but have always felt that they played to the level of competition..

Most coaches will tell you that playing to the level of the competition means your team lacks a killer instinct. Outside of Brady, Mankins and Light, we lack nastiness.

If we could bottle Rodney Harrison's passion, nastiness and killer instinct and give it to all 53 players, we would be unstoppable.

I ripped the Pats graphic off of the back window of my Jetta today. What a disgusting, lazy performance last night...come on guys, show some friggin pride. I mostly blame Belichick. He's the one not preparing the team, not putting them in position to win. The magic is clearly gone with him.

Hopefully next year Mike Holmgren or Dennis Erickson can come in hear and clean this place up!

Edit: Sorry, forgot this: \end sarcasm

Last edited:
I ripped the Pats graphic off of the back window of my Jetta today. What a disgusting, lazy performance last night...come on guys, show some friggin pride. I mostly blame Belichick. He's the one not preparing the team, not putting them in position to win. The magic is clearly gone with him.

Hopefully next year Mike Holmgren or Dennis Erickson can come in hear and clean this place up!
Matt Millen. We need Matt Millen to replace Pioli.

He can lure Mary Morningweg here for big $$$ and we can rid rid of the loser Belichick!

Last night's game reminded me a lot of what we've seen over the past 8 years or so...

They either have REALLY fantastic games or REALLY crappy games. We see it all the time... the Pats are playing great, and then they lose by 30 points. Or they score a zillion points in a season and then fall apart in a single game. Fairly consistently, however that first drive goes tends to dictate whether the Pats will mope around and get run over or whether they will stand up and crush their opponent.

I've watched a lot of football, and the Pats seem to me to be by far the most bi-polar team in the league.

Am I completely imagining things, or do the Pats seem to collectively act euphoric or depressed/lethargic in any given game? I can't think of very many games recently where they have played "average". It always seems to be some extreme.

If I'm not imagining things, then what could be causing it? Why was our pass protection brilliant last week and pathetic last night? Was Cinci THAT much better than the Eagles?
I wonder are you one of the people that were going to jump and end it all in 2007? Cause i remember in the pre-season there were a lot crying the sky is falling and how did that turn out.

Last edited:
Just repeat... its only the pre-season, its only the pre-season, its only the pre-season......

You're imagining things. The Pats are the most consistent team in the NFL over the past decade.

If we could bottle Rodney Harrison's passion, nastiness and killer instinct and give it to all 53 players, we would be unstoppable.

There are at least a dozen teams in the NFL that you could say that about. No point in being mad that nobody else has Harrison's passion nastiness, and killer instinct: that's the whole point, it was uniquely his. Almost nobody else has it. You might as well say that if every team on the roster was as smart as Brady or as athletic as Moss, we'd be unstoppable.

Last edited:
WHA??? You mean we lost a PRESEASON meaningless game 7-6 to the freaking Bungles???
OMG - There is only 2 things to do now....

Either...
826157-FB.jpg

Or

suicide431.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure if such a reaction to a one point loss to the Bengals emphasizes how spoiled we are or how bad the bengals are.

Oh right, it was just preseason, our 2nd defense held up against their first team, and our first team was in there for 2 series.

Matt Millen. We need Matt Millen to replace Pioli.

He can lure Mary Morningweg here for big $$$ and we can rid rid of the loser Belichick!

Matt Millin. Are you smoking the big crack pipe. I know you are being sarcastic but still. And speaking of Matt Millin, who in their right mind would hire him to be an analyst after going 0-16. what the hell were they thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes